Website Not Displaying Properly

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Resize an image online

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:50 am

Sorry to piggyback on this post (excellent site BTW, GL) but I'm having a problem with internet pages not displaying properly. For instance, as you can see, this page won't allow me to post a new topic. I've seen this before but can't think what to do to cure it. The other computers are displaying properly just this one won't work. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Resize an image online

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Which computer is this? Have you tried using a different browser? Have you rebooted?

I'm going to separate this into a new topic since it's not about resizing a picture on-line.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Website Not Displaying Properly

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:21 pm

New topic for your posts Diat.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Website Not Displaying Properly

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for that, Drac. This is my ordinary desktop computer which was working fine this morning. I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. I can get into IE with no trouble. I've also hunted Mozilla Help for suggestions on what to do and cleared cookies and cache. But I thought the superior brains on this site would probably have an answer in a minute! Also the problem occurs when opening a page in a new tab. For instance, my mail program has an icon on the desktop and opens from there with no problems. Also Firefox will load properly from the Quickstart menu. It's just when following a link or a new tab that there's a problem.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:28 pm

I've had the same thing happen, but usually a reboot cleared out the issue. That's why I always start out with the simple solutions! Hmmmm... let me think about this one. I would go looking for the superior brains on this site, but I don't know where they are!

Once last question - is this just for the MM website or does it do this for all websites? Well, two questions... what version of Firefox do you have? I assume you mean by your main desktop the Windows 8.1 computer?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the quick answer. It does this for all websites and I have the latest version of Firefox 34.0.5. Yes, it's the Win 8.1 computer, the main one.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:25 pm

OK... do this. Go to MM and right click anywhere on the page. Then click on View Page Info. See if your info matches mine in the general tab...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:34 pm

If it all matches, then clear out all your cookies - which is not the same as clearing out the cache. Running CCleaner would also be a good way to do this. Found this answer in the Firefox support forums.

Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache.

Clear the Cache and
Remove Cookies Warning ! ! This will log you out of sites you're logged in to.
Type about:preferences in the address bar and press enter.
Cookies; Select Privacy. Under History, select Firefox will Use Custom Settings. Press the button on the right side called Show Cookies. Use the search bar to look for the site. Note; There may be more than one entry. Remove All of them.
Cache; Select Advanced > Network. Across from Cached Web Content, Press Clear Now.

If there is still a problem, Start Firefox in Safe Mode Start Firefox in Safe Mode While you are in safe mode;
Type about:preferences in the address bar and press enter
Select Advanced > General. Look for and turn off Use Hardware Acceleration.

Poke around safe web sites. Are there any problems?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:15 pm

I had already cleared out the cookies. When I type about:preferences it won't load (I assume I have to do this in Firefox), just an error message. I have to leave this for the night as we're a bit busy getting ready for Santa, but I'll try a Safe Mode tomorrow. Let you know how it works out. In the end I can still use IE, just prefer Firefox. Thanks for trying.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:22 pm

OK. I will go ahead and post this for when you have a bit more time. You can get to the same place by clicking on the three little bars at the upper right of your Firefox screen. Click on Options and then on Privacy and follow the rest of the directions.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:43 pm

Hooookay, I just had a vague memory of someone with the same problem saying that he had switched off his AdBlocker and it cured the problem. So guess what, I tried it and Firefox is working fine (for the moment, anyway). Now I've had AdBlocker enabled for years and it's never caused a problem before. Wouldn't you just love to know what goes on in the computer's giant brain when you're not looking? I was going to say "tiny brain" but thought it might be watching.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Well, my next option was going to be to disable ALL your add-ons. But I'm glad you did it this way since now you know which one caused it. Kind of strange... And no, I don't really want to know what goes on in that brain - sometimes it's just best to just accept it and move on!

Return to “Technical Help”