GOG

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

GOG

Postby Stella » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:00 am

Any ideas why I can't get GOG to work on my computer? I've asked GOG, but they repeat the old adage of remove all and reinstall. I've done that about 10 times now and get the repeated message that the downloader has stopped working.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: GOG

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 pm

So, you're talking about the GOG downloader, right? Do you have a firewall that is blocking it or an anti-virus program? When do you get this error message? In the middle of a download or anytime you open up the GOG downloader?

You might try uninstalling and running CCleaner on your registry before reinstalling again. If there are corrupt registry entries, that should get rid of them.

If nothing else works, you know you do not have to use the GOG downloader... you can just download through your browser. I like downloading using Firefox because I can pause the download.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:58 am

I didnt know that - I thought you had to use the GOG Downloader, duh!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:08 am

That's another reason I like GOG. If you prefer to use your browser to download just open up the GOG downloader, click on New Updates which will take you to your "shelf." Click on the game you want to update or download and you will get this screen. Just turn the GOG downloader to OFF and then you can download with your browser. These screenshots are out of order, but you get the idea!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm

With GOG on, I have combined bonus pack, wallpaper, and soundtrack listed.

With GOG off, the combo pack is gone, leaving the wallpaper and soundtrack.

So, where is the game download?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

It should be the same as my top picture with the GOG downloader turned on. The Combined Bonus Pack is the game plus all the extras. This threw me too as it clearly doesn't say the game is in there.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:48 pm

So long GOG.. Hello Steam. Tex Murphy is downloading for me. :cheers:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm

So what was the problem? Did you try downloading from GOG with your browser? That's what I did with Grim Fandango Remastered. Although I have a lot of games from Steam, I still prefer GOG because there is no DRM as there is with Steam.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:08 am

I have no idea why GOG will not download to my computer. After trying for 6 months to get it to work, I gave up yesterday. I bought Tex again from an Amazon site, they include a game code, and they use Steam for their downloads.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:51 am

Like I said, you do not have to use the GOG downloader - you can use your browser. Did you try any of the other things I suggested? Just curious what might have been blocking it.

Also, if you simply can't get the game to download even with your browser, they would give you your money back.

Return to “Technical Help”