Google Nexus Problems

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Google Nexus Problems

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:24 am

I went to charge my Google Nexus last evening, and it would not charge or switch on - I have had this tablet 3 years this August - Maybe they dont last any longer than this?

I did Google, and I am now going through the troubleshooting steps, and I have also ordered a new charger, just in case that is the problem.

Otherwise, I shall have to buy either a new tablet or a dedicated e-reader - Anyone here got any recommendations please?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Google Nexus Problems

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:02 am

Oh, dear... Maybe the battery has finally gone belly up? You've already ordered a new charger...

Is this the troubleshooting page you're using? At the end is the option to contact their Hardware Support Team.

My Google Nexus will not charge

Do you want a dedicated reader? The new Kindle Paperwhites are supposed to be great. If you want a tablet, the Google Nexus now comes in a 9" size in addition to the 7". I'm dearly loving my Microsoft Surface. Most of the time I use it as a reader with the Kindle app, but when I need it to be a computer, I fold out the keyboard and I've got Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer. It runs Windows 8.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:59 am

I have been using this page, Drac - but I will also try your link out also.
https://support.google.com/nexus/troubl ... 28,3397506

Now this is a strange thing, my link told me to plug the USB into a working computer to see if it would charge that way, and it did.

I am really not sure if I want a dedicated e-reader or not - I quite like the tablet which I can slip into my handbag, and take to town in case I am stranded ovrnight, to connect to the internet with - but on the other hand I think the e-readers are lighter and mor comfortable to hold for hours on end? The Google Nexus was just so handy to take with me when I went to Jersey last.

I was looking at the Tesco Hudl 2 tablet with a screen size of 8.3" which retails here for just £129 and has some good reviews - I will try it for heaviness when I go into town in a couple of weeks time. http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

What screen size is the Microsoft Surface? Not heard of that one before.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:37 pm

I checked and they are the same link. Hmmm... So it charges with the USB cable. That indicates the other charger might be defective. I've gotten so that I only recharge my Kindle Fire with the USB cable.

The Microsoft Surface is nothing you would hold for a long time. I read on mine because I like the bigger screen, but I use it with the little kickstand. It has an 11" screen. The Surface Pro is meant to be a portable laptop replacement. The Surface - which has the RT version of Windows 8 - is what I have. I don't need all the bells and whistles and if my granddaughter wants to play games on it, there are hundreds and hundred of free ones in the Microsoft App Store. I do like having Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook on it. I use Word when I am at a meeting and need to take some notes. I save it in the cloud storage that comes with the Surface called One Drive. When I come home, I can go to One Drive and work on the document on my desktop.

You also have 10 GB of cloud storage in One Drive that comes with Windows 8.

I think you had just the right compromise with the Nexus for portability and use. It has the Android operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I cant find the 9 inch Google Nexus - Do you know what it is called? Maybe its not in the UK yet.

EDIT: Ok I found it but I didnt really want to pay that much for a tablet.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Hah! I was just going to post the link! Yes, the larger ones are a tad pricey. It's a sweet tablet though.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 am

You're not getting any commissions from Microsoft are you Draclvr? Seriously I find my tablet (an iPad) really essential now for when I'm travelling - I've loaded it up with books and TV series for our next cruise coming soon now.

Good you can charge your Nexus through USB RB.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:01 am

If I were, I wouldn't have gotten anything yet! What I tell people is it's all about the ecosystem you're already invested in and familiar with. I'm a Microsoft person and someone else is an Apple person. Then you need to decide what you will use your device FOR. The iPad is a consumption device which is perfect for your usage. They are also awesome devices in the classroom. However, I wanted something I could also use for other things and the Surface is perfect for me. The quality of the device builds for both are excellent. I didn't need the power and extras of the Surface Pro 3 plus I'm not going to pay that much for the things I need a tablet for. In fact, I waited until they put this Surface RT on sale for less that $200 before I would buy it - I'm a cheapskate! It has the same titanium build quality as the Surface Pro 3 and Windows 8.1 RT with Office including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and One Note already on it. It has a Micro SD slot which I popped an old 16 GB card in for more storage and a full USB port, so I can plug in my camera to upload pictures to my cloud storage or use a mouse. And I can use it as a stand alone tablet... it's the perfect device for me!

The coolest thing was when hubby broke down and got a new truck. That thing is like a rocket ship with all the high tech stuff on it! My favorite is that it has several USB ports and even a port where I can plug in regular electrical appliances. For our 10 hour trips up to Iowa to see my family, I put a couple of movies on the Surface - I already have over 150 books on it - and I was good to go for the ride!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:10 pm

A rocket ship in all respects except getting you to Iowa in ten minutes? It sounds a lot smarter than my current car!

Waiting around for good deals is very sensible behaviour - which perhaps I ought to learn from.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:27 am

I am thinking about buying a new car, Kickaha - I was looking at this one - a cross between sporty and 4x4 - I would choose the bright yellow one! What car did you buy then?

http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/vehicle/c ... -juke.html
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:53 am

I love the looks of that car, Rosaboobie!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 am

Me too, it's very sporty - I hired a car similar to this when I was last in Jersey, and just loved driving it - It felt like driving a real sports car!
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:53 am

No need to buy a new tablet yet - it turned out to be the charger was faulty - Phew! :cool:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:50 am

Great! That Nexus is such a nice little device - especially for your uses!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:55 am

I know - I cant believe I have had it nearly 3 years now.
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”