Windows 7 Vizio laptop

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Windows 7 Vizio laptop

Postby mbday630 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:24 am

My daughter's laptop is saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and selected boot device and press a key." I'm trying to help her fix it, I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Windows 7 Vizio laptop

Postby draclvr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 am

It's entirely possible that the hard drive has croaked and that is why it's asking for another boot device such as the OS or Recovery CD or a bootable flash drive. If she made Recovery Disks right away after she got it, that might work.

Assuming she has made sure there is nothing in the CD drive (assuming it has one), you could also see if you can get into the BIOS. I don't know anything about a Vizio or what motherboard it uses, but the selection of the boot device is in the BIOS and it should be set to the hard drive. Do you have any documentation that will tell you what key to press when you turn it on to get into the BIOS?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Did you figure this problem out yet, mbday?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 am

No, she hasn't. I wanted to take her laptop home to play with it, but, she said her boyfriend would play with it more. I will ask her today if he could do anything.

to get to their bios, you just keep pressing the F5 key when it starts, right?
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:15 am

mbday630 wrote:to get to their bios, you just keep pressing the F5 key when it starts, right?

Try the F2 key instead.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:58 am

It depends on the motherboard. I'd say middletoe's suggestion might be the best, but mine requires the DEL key. Tell them to be careful in the BIOS - the wrong selection could be disastrous! Just tell them to find the boot order and make sure had drive is selected at the first one. Also make sure the hard drive is recognized in the list of drives. If the hard drive has croaked, it won't be listed.

Return to “Technical Help”