flickering screen on firefox

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

flickering screen on firefox

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:36 am

I can't play candy crush when I am using firefox, as it flickers very bad. I can play my other games on facebook without the flickering, just not candy crush. today I noticed that when I watched videos on the news the screen did a little flickering. so, I used internet explorer and there was no flickering when playing candy crush or when watching the videos. so, it has to be firefox on my computer. Any ideas on how to stop the flickering or do I have to use explorer from now on?
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: flickering screen on firefox

Postby middletoe » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 am

There are a couple of suggestions in the Mozilla forum
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1028160
One is to turn off "hardware acceleration" and see if the flickering continues:
Start Firefox in Safe Mode {web link} While you are in safe mode;
Type about:preferences<Enter> in the address bar
Select Advanced > General. Look for and turn off Use Hardware Acceleration.

Another site, specifically for Firefox 36.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2916803

I think Firefox "updated" to version 36 recently, so that may have caused a problem.
You could try going back to the previous version, and turn off automatic updating of firefox.

I don't like Firefox version 36 myself. It has periodic unexplained freezes, and I'm considering going back to the previous version.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:19 am

That's what I was going to suggest - go back to an earlier version of Firefox. I haven't had any issues with v. 36, but others have reported some problems like yours, middletoe.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I started firefox in safe mode and tried their suggestions and it still flickers. I want to go back to my previous version. How do I uninstall the version I have and go back to the old version? thanks.

edit: I went back to that page and read the instructions AGAIN (I couldn't find the general tab under the advanced options) and turned off the hardware acceleration and I think the problem is fixed. I am playing a game of candy crush now and it isn't flickering, so hopefully, all is fixed! thanks!

Return to “Technical Help”