remove superfish?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

remove superfish?

Postby mbday630 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 am

I got something from AVG today about superfish and how it is pre-installed on lots of computers. there is a button that says "To remove the Superfish program and its certificate from your computer, please use this free tool from Lenovo:

I am wondering why the tool is from Lenovo and not AVG? should I click on the button? Thanks.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: remove superfish?

Postby middletoe » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 am

I wasn't aware of this before, but a Google search revealed that there was a serious mistake by Lenovo by including Superfish on their computers as part of their "bloatware."
I assume you have a Lenovo laptop. If you have a different brand, do not use the tool.
You should only see

Lenovo did a real botch by pre-installing Superfish on their laptops.
LINK --> Superfish Torments Lenovo Owners with more than Adware
The preloaded Superfish adware does more than hijack website ads in a browser. It also exposes Lenovo owners to a simple but dangerous hack that could spell disaster.

And according to the cnet article, Microsoft's security software (Security Essentials or Windows Defender) was updated remove Superfish.
It sounds like AVG has not done this, though IMO it should.

So you definitely want to get rid of Superfish if you have it.
LastPass has made a "Superfish" checker here --> https://lastpass.com/superfish/
so you can check if ;your computer is infected.
The LastPass site also has instructions for removal.
(You don't need to follow the "Once your system is clean" step unless you want to use LastPass as a password manager)

Another interesting link --> Lenovo's Superfish Screwup Highlights Biggest Problem in Software

Forbes article --> Lenovo Only Made up to $250,000 From Nightmare Superfish Deal
Lenovo is about to kill off a small but troublesome source of its revenue: crapware. Some call it adware, some bloatware, others malware, but whatever the correct nomenclature, the PC maker doesn’t want anything more to do with it after the debacle over Superfish, the “visual advertising” tech that posed a real security threat to millions of Lenovo PC users.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: remove superfish?

Postby draclvr » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:29 am

If you have a Lenovo computer, get rid of Superfish ASAP. This issue came to light a couple of weeks ago and it was a huge fiasco for Lenovo. As middletoe's post indicates, it's not only adware, but potentially an avenue for opening your personal information to others.

Use the Lenovo tool TODAY...

One of my favorite tech bloggers, Ed Bott, had this interesting read today on ZDNet.

Is it time to force PC makers to reveal how much they make from crapware?

I would also strongly suggest that you rid yourself of ALL the bloatware and crapware that came installed on this computer. PCDecrapifier is a good place to start.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Return to “Technical Help”