Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 am

I'm going to post a list of links that will help you navigate Windows 10. It's pretty intuitive, but a few hints will help things go more smoothly.

From PC Pitstop, 47 Tips and Tricks for Windows 10

I preferred the Window 8 "This PC View" when clicking on the File Explorer icon on the taskbar. This article shows you how to change Windows 10's "Quick Access View" back to the "This PC View."

Change File Explorer from Quick Access View to This PC View

I've already use a couple of items from this article.

How to Customize the Windows 10 Action Center
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Windows 10 Tips and Tricks

Postby mbday630 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:11 am

My trick that I did for hubby's laptop works the best for him. I just put the yahoo internet explorer icon on his desktop so that it is easy for him to access and then he can read his mail and also read the yahoo news. He was getting too overwhelmed with all the apps on there and just wanted an easy way to do his "normal thing". He will never play any games on it. He watches youtube videos too and that is about it. I guess I didn't really need to upgrade it to windows 10 when I got it, but, i figured since it was free and it was easy to do, I might as well get it over with.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:32 am

That's the perfect solution for someone like your hubby. I agree that all the apps can get overwhelming. One app that I love and use so much I pinned it to my taskbar, is the Weather app. You can add as many other locations as you want and I can check on Rosaboobie's weather on Sanday, the weather in Denver where my son lives and even the weather in Schweinfurt, Germany where we have family. You can check on the radar and make it show the storm fronts in motion.

I also must say that I do like the Bing news app. It's a nice big full page of an article and I don't have to deal with all the flashing junk and scads of advertisements that you get with the MSN, ATT or Yahoo homepages.

I think you were wise to go ahead and update the computer - it's the way it is going to be from now on and we might as well all move along with it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 am

And another great one from Ed Bott - I've already used a couple of these. Who knew about the expanded Send to menu?!

Windows 10 tips, tricks and secrets
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks Draclvr - a lot of power there, but rather intimidating I feel to users who aren't power users.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Some might be, but so much of it was everyday computing and making it easier and more tailored to individual needs. And some great new shortcuts! It could be that a lot of Windows users are already used to being able to customize their experience and usage.

Return to “Technical Help”