Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: GGOTD - Kronville: Stolen Dreams

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:53 am

Nope, cos I have only just reinstalled my MS Office, Diat, so I missed out on that game, but never mind.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:12 am

Pro doesn't get you much of anything that the Free version doesn't already offer. I did pay for it many, many years ago because I wanted to support them. I assume you ran CCleaner on the registry AFTER you had uninstalled Microsoft Office? The point was to get rid of any stray registry entries after uninstalling.

I assume you uninstalled Office 2010 before, but if you didn't, completely uninstall it and then run CCleaner on the registry. That may get rid of any remaining Word registry entries. THEN try reinstalling Office 2010.

If after uninstalling Office, running CCleaner on the registry and then reinstalling office doesn't work, then you are stuck with the options in the link I sent you if you want to restore that option on the desktop.

It does seem like a lot of hassle, but it's aggravating when some piece of rogue software messes things up! Final word here is STAY AWAY from these free downloads! They and "foistware" cause 99% of the computer repairs I do.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:07 pm

Ermmmmmm - no, I forgot to run CCcleaner after uninstalling lol - Oh darn! :roll:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Oh, well... I don't think it would help anyway!

Have you tried either the 3rd party software or the registry hacks in my link yet?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:57 am

Do you mean MenuMaid, Drac? If so, I cant see that you can add an item to the Context Menu, merely remove what you dont want?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:14 am

There were 3 programs, but I don't remember what they entailed. Let me go take a look.

Yes, MenuMaid is just for cleaning up the context menu. But look in the part titled Context Menu Editors. There are three of them. I'm not sure any of them will do what you want it to though. If not, then I'm afraid you are stuck with either the registry hack or going back to opening up MS Word and creating a document. You can always save to the desktop location if you want.

I found a lot of other stuff out there, but none of it looked too safe. The link JKEerie provided would be wonderful... unfortunately it is for Office 2003 which is no longer supported by Microsoft. It went out the window with XP.

I'm going to grab this discussion and move it over to the technical help forum.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:36 pm

Drac...Do you think a Microsoft Office repair would work through the Control Panel?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:49 pm

It couldn't hurt... the issue is with the right click context menu and some corruption caused by that rogue program. What I suspect happened is the rogue program inserted itself into the right click context menu to create a new document. When RB uninstalled it, that option was deleted. But I would have thought a fresh install of Office would have done the same thing as the repair option.

This is all part of the shell extension hell many people get frustrated with. Still seems like a lot of aggravation just to get it back though!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:23 pm

What about a system restore point to before she downloaded that rogue program?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:59 pm

Anything is worth a try!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:46 pm

I just ran a system restore last week. I had a number of Jacquie Lawson screensavers that just quit working. It turns out that adobe updated their flash player and the new version 20.0.0.267 was incompatible with a number of screensavers (as I found out from a quick internet search), so I just did a system restore and then set the flash player to not update. All fixed. Adobe released a newer version that is now compatible (.270), so I downloaded that one. I think System Restore was one of the better things Microsoft came up with.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:32 pm

I agree - it's been a lifesaver for me on a couple of computers I've worked on.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 pm

I have NEVER been able to get System Restore to work. It always seems that the only way the computer can find a restore point is if I manually set one each and every day. And, yes, I've been through the settings, etc. but never had any luck. Thankfully it hasn't been needed for ages. Don't you just hate it when a machine tells you "that won't work" (I swear with a smug grin on it's face or monitor). I was going to say an inanimate machine but somehow that description doesn't seem right.
draclvr

Re: Re: GGOTD - Kronville: Stolen Dreams

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:57 pm

I get an Internal System Error while doing this merge, but hopefully these will be the missing posts below on System Restore. There were a couple of others, but they were kind of unimportant.

In Windows 10 click on System and Security in the Control Panel and then on System. On the left, click on System Protection. In the next small screen, click on Configure to make sure it is turned on and then move the slider at the bottom to adjust how space you allocate for System Restore points. I use about 2% of my 1 GB drive. Click on Apply and then on OK.

There is a way in Windows 10 to keep all your files and programs and reinstall Windows 10 completely. But that's pretty drastic for this issue and I'm not sure it would help anyway.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:07 pm

Right, well I suddenly realised yesterday I still had a problem with that rogue software FreeFileViewer. My lawyer sent me a fee note and although I could read it in Google Docs, when I downloaded it and tried to open it, this is what I got. As you can see, it says "Type - FreeFileViewer" and I cant save it! :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”