Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:16 pm

What format was the fee note in? You will need to reset the default program to open this type of file. If it was a PDF format, then you will need to reset to open in Adobe or whatever PDF reader you use. If it was a Word document, then you will need to reset the .docx format to open with Word.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Click on Start and then Settings and then System. Click on default apps on the left side. Screen looks like this. You might try simply clicking on the "reset to Microsoft defaults" button and see what happens. Or you will need to click on "Choose default apps by file type."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:49 am

Right, I have reset MS defaults and this is the screen I have now. Now what do I do? :scratch: I have researched this problem extensively on Google but still have not been able to resolve this issue - its driving me mad!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:05 am

OK. Now what happens when you try to open that file? And I need to know the answer to my first question... what format is the file in?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:19 am

I dont know what format the file was in. I did ask her but she just sent another one in PDF format.

And the same thing happens as before when I try to open that file :sad:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:20 am

So, when you try to open the PDF file, you get the same thing, right? If that's the case, then you will need to drill down into the "default apps by file type." I had just held out hope that just clicking on the one button, things would go back to normal, but no luck!

So, click on Start, Settings, System and the on Default Apps on the left. Scroll down to the .pdf files and then make sure Adobe is selected for that file type. This is a screenshot of my default apps for .pdf files. Clicking on the current default app should give you all the available options.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 am

You might also try going to your File Explorer and opening up a file you're have issues with. Right click it and select "open with." That should set it to open with the program you want, not this other damned malware.

I've been searching for a way to completely erase it, but not having much luck yet.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Right the second Fee Note PDF is now opening with Acrobat, so all good there.

However the first fee note which I am still having issues with - which I presume was sent in Word format but not entirely sure - this is what I get when I right click and Open With - it is not giving me any options at all.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:37 pm

For some strange reason, I can't open your screenshot - I don't think it's you though. I've had trouble with other ones too. I can open my own, but that's all. Can you send me this last one as an email attachment? And before you do, right click on the file and select Properties and see if it tells you what format the file is.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:42 pm

I could also not open a screenshot posted on here today either Drac - is my PC possessed??
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:41 pm

Actually, I think it's more the website. I'm getting more and more internal server errors and the photo viewing is erratic. Just got your email and sent a response.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Yes, when I go to the wine cellar gallery, many of the photos don't show anymore.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:20 am

Why is this happening to MM all of a sudden?

I have replied to your email Drac. I would just add that, in utter desperation, I have contacted the developer of this rogue software who told me just to right click and open all documents with Words! I almost swore - if it were that easy, I dont think I would be asking for his help duh!! If we cant find a solution, then I might have to reformat, cos this problem is driving me NUTS :shock:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:45 am

MM doesn't get any routine maintenance any more and the phbBB software has been out of date for a couple of years now.

Did you resize that screenshot before posting it like you did in the email? If so, that might be why. Make sure you leave the file at full size before posting it. Whatever software you are using is making it very small.

Just answered your email. The answer this company gave you completely misses the point. You certainly know HOW to uninstall the software. This doesn't address the fact that the software converted file formats - as in the fee notice from your lawyer - or inserted itself as the default app to open files. Plus they're including XP in their answer? That should tell us something!!

If all else fails, Windows 10 has a great feature built in which lets you complete reinstall Windows 10 and still leaves your files intact. It's called "reset" and is in Settings/Update and Security and then Recovery.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:12 pm

Oh wow, I didnt know about this Reset feature!
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”