Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:17 pm

More info here... It was in Windows 8 too and was called Refresh. My question would be since you would choose to leave all your files and programs intact, it says it will also leave your settings alone. Does that mean it would leave all the default app settings to that stupid software program?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ry-options
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:34 pm

Knowing my luck, yes!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 pm

draclvr wrote:Does that mean it would leave all the default app settings to that stupid software program?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ry-options

Most likely it would keep all the bad settings, or at least some of them.
A similar thing used to happen when you reinstalled Windows 95 over itself without wiping the drive first. It might fix some problems that were Windows-specific, but registry issues caused by other programs would probably persist.

There's no telling whether using the "Reset" would refresh settings on Windows 10 that had to do with Microsoft Office, which is from Microsoft.
It depends on the type of damage that was done by the rogue software.
It might, it might not, and only one way to know.
And there might be problems elsewhere, which you might not discover right away.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:56 pm

That's my concern also. I am finding that Rosaboobie's issue of Office 2010 programs not showing up in the default apps is not isolated. I "think" when she uninstalled and reinstalled Office she forgot to run CCleaner on the registry before reinstalling. Maybe that would get rid of any bad registry entries hijacked by this damned program.

EDIT: OK, this makes me feel a little more confident in using the Reset option. One thing I read said it retained all your settings, but this from Microsoft says it doesn't. But it also says it removes programs you have installed. To be honest, it would give you a clean start while keeping your documents, files and other data. Might be less of a pain the the arse than trying to repair the damage done by this FreeFileViewer.

Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

Removes apps and drivers you installed.

Removes changes you made to settings.

Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Microsoft and tenforums both list that information.
However tenforums gives a pictorial step-by-step on how to use the Reset.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

One other thing...
Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

Its success at keeping your personal files might depend on where you put them.
If you put them somewhere other than your Documents folder, they might not be saved.

In any case, I'd recommend backing up personal files to an external hard drive (or some other location that's not on the ailing computer) before doing the reset.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Ooo... great resource, middletoe. Pictures make it so much easier when you're not sure what comes next.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:38 am

OMG - I am getting worse! As per Drac's suggestion, I went to uninstall and reinstall MS Office 2010 but could not find the disk anywhere - I have been looking for hours and its not where it should be ....................... and then I thought, hold on, I remember now - it was a download purchase :roll: :roll: :roll:
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 am

Rosaboobie wrote: it was a download purchase

Do you still have the download somewhere?
Is it somewhere on your computer?
Did you buy somewhere where you can re-download?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:52 am

I am redownloading it now. But I need to burn to a DVD in case this happens again!
Boobie
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:34 am

Drac very kindly sent me by email detailed steps on how to uninstall and reinstall my Office 2010. Right, well all done - I followed her instructions to the letter and now I have that beatuiful W for Word icon back BUT when I went into default apps by file type, I did notice that there was a reference still to FreeFileViewer under .doc - when I tried to change it, it just told me to look for an app in the Store.

This can only happen to me - now I have reinstalled Office 2010, it is rejecting my activation code by telling me the product key is no longer valid, so I guess once again I have slipped up somehow in the reinstallation duh! This was a licence I purchased very recently for one PC, and I have already contacted the vendor about this problem. :roll:

And I still cant right click on my desktop and create a new Word document - I might have to ask some really kind person here to assist me with Remote Assistance??

Oh, and as for the Refresh facility, yes I do have my Documents all over the place - in particular the majority are on my Desktop in a special folder.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 am

AND of course, you ran CCLeaner on your registry before you reinstalled, right? That was the whole point of uninstalling Office - to get rid of any registry entries that may have been corrupted by this FreeFileViewer.

As we talked about before, the only way to get that option back is to go into the registry. You will have to decide if that little convenience is worth it or not. I would be happy to do a Team Viewer with you some time - I do it with other people fairly often. Team Viewer is a free program that allows me to take over your computer and work on it while you watch. There is also a chat feature with allows us to talk to each other.

Now that you have your File History up and running, you should have all your files and documents backed up on your exterior hard drive. So if you do end up doing a refresh, you should be able to retrieve anything that gets deleted. It would also be a simply matter to make a copy of that special folder and store it in your Documents, so you would also have it there.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:55 pm

draclvr wrote:AND of course, you ran CCLeaner on your registry before you reinstalled, right? That was the whole point of uninstalling Office - to get rid of any registry entries that may have been corrupted by this FreeFileViewer.

Now, Drac, what part of "I followed her instructions to the letter" do you NOT understand? :roll: :roll: :roll:

And to clarify matters even more, I have not done any work on the FFV software - I guess there is no need to uninstall and reinstall it? Or is there? Just to get rid of that one reference to it that I mentioned?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Yes, I know you said you followed them to the letter, but you didn't mention CCleaner when you said what you did, so I just wanted to be sure! Many years of experience have taught me to always check.

I've been doing more reading about FreeFileViewer and it appears to be even worse that we originally suspected. It automatically makes itself the default application for .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt and other file types. It also registers itself to launch at boot and dozens of other nasty behavior. Do make sure it isn't listed in your Startup programs. You can access that through your Task Manager.

I'm not sure what difference reinstalling this crap software and then uninstalling it will do, but it can't make thing any worse. I would definitely recommend using the free Revo uninstaller though... that will remove everything including registry entries left behind by the software. Be sure to scroll down to the free version.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:27 pm

You have spent so much time on this for me, that I didnt dare not go according to your instructions. I wrote all your instructions down first in case I lost the email and ticked off the points as I worked!

Right, tomorrow morning I will follow your instructions again and deal with FFV in the same way.

And I know you are a very busy lady, but yes please to Team Viewer sometime thanks a lot :cool:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I edited my post above, but will repost this here. I am like a dog with a bone when it come to stuff like this! We will ferret it out one way or another!

I've been doing more reading about FreeFileViewer and it appears to be even worse that we originally suspected. It automatically makes itself the default application for .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt and other file types. It also registers itself to launch at boot and dozens of other nasty behavior. Do make sure it isn't listed in your Startup programs. You can access that through your Task Manager.

Return to “Technical Help”