Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Programs

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Rogue Software Causing Problems with Word & Default Prog

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:35 pm

No, it is definitely not in my Startup - I just checked.

Are you 100% sure I can do no further harm if I reinstall FFV and uninstall it? I am scared.........very scared! :shock:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Nothing is ever 100% sure... If you just don't want to go there, then I'm afraid the registry is where you will have to go or completely reset Windows 10.

One thing is that if you use REVO, hopefully ALL traces of FFV will be gone.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Rosaboobie, before you do anything tomorrow morning, try this link and go through your Control Panel. It's for Windows 8.1, but it seems to work the same for Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7c4338e006

If that doesn't work (for instance, Word is not listed in my default programs in the Control Panel window for some reason..), go ahead and download and reinstall the dreaded FreeFileViewer.

BEFORE you uninstall it with the Revo free uninstaller, try going into the default programs through Start and Settings and clicking on the Reset to Microsoft recommended defaults. See if that helps. Of course, you may have to get the issue with the Microsoft Office key resolved first. If it hasn't registered itself yet, you may not be able to do anything until you do.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:40 am

Word is not in the list, Drac - only Wordpad :sad:

Two questions - should I run CCleaner after using Revo uninstaller today? And should I in future use Revo Uninstaller instead of the Windows facility?

Edit: OMG, I just thought I would check to see if I can now create a Word document by right clicking on my Desktop - Whoohoo - it's back - I am sooooooooooooo happy :cheers:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:20 am

I wonder if that happened when you did the reinstall of Office?!

No, you won't need to run CCleaner on the registry... Revo should remove all the registry entries. You can use either the Windows uninstaller or Revo - Revo is just more thorough.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:48 am

Nope, it didn't happen after installing Office - I checked on that straight away, Drac.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:13 pm

I wonder what happened to get it back. From what I read, having that option in your right click/New menu is a registry entry. Ah, well... I'm just so excited that it's there again!!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:21 pm

Well, it must have been something you told me to do yesterday, but no idea what :lol:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm

:drunken: Well, we just so TOTALLY know what we're doing then!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:30 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Boobie
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Congrats on getting things back to normal, Rosy! Nice job, Drac! I absolutely hate it when something happens to the computer that changes something you're used to. Many times you don't know what happened to alter the way things perform and you don't know quite what fixed it...particularly when you take multiple actions. Sometimes it's a simple reboot that does it...after you installed or uninstalled something. That's why I won't let anything automatically update or install on my computer (including Windows updates). I want the system to ask me nicely first so I can decide whether or not I wish to install this or that update. Even if 99% of the time I'm going to say "yes" if something is different afterward, I at least have a mental recollection that something that updated may be the culprit.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Oh, me too, JK. Sometimes that recollection is pretty vague though!

If there is anything to take away from this thread though, it is to never, ever, ever download any of this freeware masquerading as something helpful. I was able to find out a LOT more about this FreeFileViewer and the nefarious things that were probably installed along with it - like ad trackers and other things you do NOT want on your computer. It's very seldom any of this stuff is really ever "free." An exception is the free version of Malwarebytes - best stuff out there. I use the Pro version which works in real time to block nasty stuff and it's well worth it.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:17 pm

I invested in Webroot SecureAnywhere and many the times that software has stopped me from going to websites that are notorious for malware etc. I haven't seen any warnings on this app though. Funny too how different protection programs have different results when it comes to malware.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:37 pm

I don't think the website itself has malware; it's the software that absolutely takes over your computer by making itself the default app to open virtually everything except photos. Then it appears to insinuate itself such that you will have a VERY hard time getting rid of it as Rosaboobie found out.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Free-Fil ... ogram.aspx

Webroot is really good stuff... It always rated in the top tier of anti-virus and anti-malware programs.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:51 pm

I hate software that takes over. That's actually why I went to Webroot. Norton and McAfee really slow down your system and will not allow other security programs to run concurrently. Webroot, on the other hand, peacefully coexists with other protection programs and does not gum up the works.

Return to “Technical Help”