yahoo mail

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

yahoo mail

Postby mbday630 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 am

Yahoo had told me before to change my password as there was suspicious activity on my account last year but today I got an email from them that said: please consider using Yahoo Account Key, a simple authentication tool that eliminates the need to use a password on Yahoo altogether.

but, that sounds suspicious as then anyone could get into my mail account - right? and what is yahoo account key?
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: yahoo mail

Postby middletoe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 am

If you Google for "Yahoo Account Key" you can find many posts from people who tried it and wanted to go back to using regular username/password. They found using the "Yahoo Account Key" "too complicated" and had trouble accessing their email.

It supposedly locks your email account to a specific computer/tablet/phone.

If I understand correctly, you have to use Yahoo's "mail app" to use the "Yahoo Account Key."

If you access your email from more than one computer/tablet/phone, I think you'll have to set up account keys for all of them.
If the computer/tablet/phone you use for email goes bust, you have to depend on a "backup email" account to reset the account key and get access to your account again.

I suppose the "Yahoo Account Key" is "simple" if your phone lasts forever, is never stolen, you never need to access your email from any other computer/tablet/phone, and you don't mind having to adjust to using Yahoo's mail app instead of your previous email program.

Yahoo made a phenomenal botch when they were breached and didn't tell their email users for years. Now they're trying to convince people they're serious about user security by introducing this new way of accessing email. It may not suit your needs -- especially if you check your email from more than one computer/tablet/phone.

If you decide you want to try the new system, log into Yahoo directly and don't use a link in the email. There are some phishing emails pretending to be from Yahoo.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Personally, I'd ditch Yahoo altogether.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't know how I can ditch it as all my folders of bought games and addresses etc. is on it. I would have to switch so many autopay things that send me emails too. It seems like too much trouble. I did change my password and and have different passwords for different sites. so, hopefully yahoo gets this straightened out so that it doesn't happen again. Those jerks that do that kind of stuff. It seems every day there is another scam - in fact, the latest scam where someone asks if you can hear them, I had 2 weeks ago. My hubby got the craigslist scam and just yesterday my son had the same scam from craigslist about sending a check and they would pay an extra 50 dollars. jeez.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:53 pm

This is why I avoid Yahoo like the plague. It would be a huge pain, but you could move everything over to something else like Gmail which is far more secure and less prone to spam.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:25 pm

How can I move all my folders and mail to gmail? I do have a gmail account but of course with a different name and password. and would all stuff that send me emails then go to the new address if I switched it over? I am confused.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Create a Gmail account and send any emails you want to keep to your Gmail account. You would have to go to any websites that send you stuff automatically and change your email preference.

I'm not saying you should do it, but like middletoe said, their track record for security is not good. Plus they are well-known for allowing all kinds of spam and malware through.

Return to “Technical Help”