Defrag?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Defrag?

Postby mbday630 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 pm

Where is the defrag button on my windows 7? I always get insufficient memory when I go on my microsoft word so I was hoping that the defrag button might work but I can't find it.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Defrag?

Postby JKEerie » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Hey...MB... right click on "my computer". Then click on "Properties." At bottom, left..."Performance Information and Tools". At left..."advanced tools'. Defrag is towards the bottom of the list. The other way to find it is in the Start Menu, where you can "search programs and files" type "Disc Defragmenter" and a window will pop open.
Last edited by JKEerie on Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:16 am

It isn't there! when I right click on the computer icon I get things like open, open in new window, scan, format, copy etc. but I just did a search and it says it does it automatically every Wednesday so I guess that won't help me with my problem. I don't know why I have insufficient memory for my microsoft word.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am

Oh MB...I forgot one detail in my post. I just edited it above. When you click on "My Computer" you have to then click on "Properties." That's where all the fun stuff is.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Have you ever used the Task Manager in Windows mbday630? That can help you see where the memory on your computer is being used. Do you have access to someone technical who can look at your system?
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:25 am

My someone technical is Drac! it is funny though that it worked a few days ago when I printed out our airline tickets but it doesn't work now and I haven't done anything different. do I have too many word docs and that is why it says insufficient memory?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 am

And sorry! I was canning tomatoes all day yesterday!

Couple of questions - how much memory do you have? How much space is on your Hard drive?

Before doing a defrag which probably isn't necessary, do what Kickaha said. Go into Task Manager - CTRL/ALT/DEL - and click on Processes and scroll down to see if you can spot something which is using a lot of your resources. Post back with what you find.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am

I don't know how much memory I have but I did go to task manager and anything that was over 150k I got out of and voila my microsoft word worked and I could print out my airline ticket. Thanks. I guess that is what I will have to do each time now that I do a doc and want to print it. whew.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am

No, you shouldn't have to do that. The next time you boot up, everything will start up again. What I needed for you to do was post back with what you found was using up memory.

To find out how much memory you have, go to DXDIAG. Just type DXDIAG into your search bar and click on it when it comes up.

Defragging won't help a memory error... Defragging compresses the info on your hard drive, but doesn't do anything for memory usage. Since Windows 7, the OS does this all this time in the background.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 am

it says that I have 8192 MB ram for memory.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 am

That's a good amount of RAM! Same as I have and you should never be short of RAM memory. Next time this happens, bring up the task manager and find out what is sucking up all your memory and post it here.

Return to “Technical Help”