Recommended Scanner Software?

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Recommended Scanner Software?

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19 am

Can anyone please recommend a Scanner software? I have found loads of old photos and want to scan them to my PC without the huge white border I have around the few I have scanned already lol!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Recommended Scanner Software?

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 am

Are you using the scanner that is built in to your printer/scanner/copier? Any scanner will simply copy the picture as it is. Am I assuming this white border is part of the original picture? The only way to get rid of it is to edit the picture with something like "crop" to remove the border. Some of the P/S/C have some simple tools like "crop" which allow you to remove something like a white border. My older HP P/S/C has some tools that allow me to crop, lighten different tones etc. before I finalize the scan.

If your printer software doesn't have any simple editing tools, Irfanview is still one of the best free photo editors out there.

http://www.irfanview.com/
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:21 pm

I think I might possibly be confusing you today, Drac - The "white border" I am referring to is shown on the original of my photo here ha ha (i.e. the rest of the A4 sheet of paper other than the photo) - what I am trying to do is avoid cropping every single photo I scan, and I thought there might be some software out there that did this cropping automatically?

Image (7).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:37 pm

No, not confusing at all... that's what I figured. Your problem is that what you need is a dedicated scanner capable of doing that. A regular old HP - or other brand - P/S/C has software for doing basic scanning and editing. Scanning software would not be compatible with a regular P/S/C. A scanner made specifically for large batch photo scanning and batch editing is what you need.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:50 pm

I Googled and found this - not downloaded it yet though.

http://scanspeeder.com/buy
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Is the software compatible with your brand and model of P/S/C??

It looks like it would be very handy for scanning multiple photos at once into separate files. However, I looked at the options several times and you still have to edit each photo individually. Plus I did not see an option to crop. A dedicated scanner and the accompanying software allows you to batch edit. I also did not see any options to do anything like remove blemishes or sharpen or enhance faded colors.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:53 am

This is the Printer that I have, Drac, but I cant see the software I am looking for on their support page.

http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/dr_ut_ ... p112su.htm
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 am

I can see the Scanning software, but like all other software that comes with a P/S/C, it's just for basic scanning. Unless you are using a dedicated photo scanner, that's all that they have.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Right, well thank you for looking anyway - I think I will leave this project until after my hollibobs - yet another Winter project for me.
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”