This is really getting old - crah reporter message

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: This is really getting old - crah reporter message

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:39 pm

And again!! What antispyware are you using!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby mbday630 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:56 am

I use the superantispyware free edition. It hasn't popped up today yet, but, we'll see. I read a lot of yahoo news and there is usually a thing at the bottom that says "read more" and I usually click on that and I go to another window.... and for some reason I am thinking that is what is causing this problem.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:04 am

Do you mean when you click on the "read more" in Yahoo News, THAT is when you get this message? When you get it, does it open up in another tab in Firefox? I had one on a computer where it just opened in another tab and when I closed the tab it went away.

And again!! Please try another browser for a day or two to see if it continues.

If you run Malwarebytes and CCleaner once a week, you don't need Superantispyware. It pretty much does the same thing as CCleaner
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 pm

So, how goes it with this nagging message???
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:19 pm

It was good for a few days and I have exclusively used firefox and I just clicked on a news story about a youtube person that was shot 15 times in Mexico and I clicked on the "read more" part at the bottom of the page and I got that thing again and I had to do the task manager to get out of everything. I was thinking it was internet explorer that was doing that so I have avoided that, but, I guess that wasn't the problem. It is something with firefox. edit: and I forgot to mention that when I get out of it using task manager and then get into firefox again, it always goes to facebook. Could facebook be my problem?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:51 pm

So when you open Firefox, Facebook is your home page????

If the only time this happens is when you click on "read more" in Yahoo News, I'm beginning to suspect the link itself is infected. I don't use Yahoo anything because of similar problems in the past. Their email is horrible. Maybe try a different news source - like maybe MSN - and see if you continue to have the issue.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:34 pm

yes, that is when it happens the most. I guess I will have to use a different news source - but, it is so easy when i click on yahoo and look at all the news stories that they have - and hubby uses that almost exclusively. but, I don't want this happening every few days. Thanks for the input!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Guess I meant to just try a different news source for a week or so as a process of elimination! I'm not a huge fan of MSN as they have too much "celebrity" news for my taste, but maybe try it and see if the message goes away. If it does, then Yahoo News is your source.

https://www.msn.com/
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:35 am

no, facebook is not my homepage. Yahoo is with the news. that is what is crazy is that when i go back into firefox after getting out of it using the task manager, facebook is the first thing that pops up. makes me wonder if it is something on facebook? but, I was on yahoo news reading news stories when it happens. and it is so weird that it only happens every few days. hubby reads yahoo news too and he doesn't get this.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:53 am

If you open up Firefox from the icon, the first thing you see should be your homepage - whatever it is. Now sometimes Firefox will try to restore the last session if something has caused it to shut down unexpectedly and if you had FB open in one of the tabs, it will show up.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but you also got this message when you were using IE??

I'd still suggest using MSN for a few days and see what happens... since you've run all your scans and nothing is showing up, this is a process of elimination.

As a last resort, there are some nice little free utilities that will scan your MBR - master boot record - when you boot up to be sure it isn't infected and respawning this message whenever you boot up.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm

I use Yahoo as my homepage in Google and Firefox, but I customized it to provide only the news and features that I want. I use NBC news top stories, and Politico. I also have my weather, sports to follow the teams I cheer for, and a financial feature to track the stock market. Occasionally I'll visit the regular Yahoo page and read other stories but have never had the issue you are having Mbday. I use Webroot SecureAnywhere. It's not free, but if you call them at renewal time, you can generally get a nice multi-year deal that will protect as many devices as you need. I think it's the best protection out there and also has a password manager that I use in my browser so I can keep track of the myriad passwords that I've set up over the years.

Return to “Technical Help”