DVD Player Again

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

DVD Player Again

Postby Stella » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Running Windows 10, and my dvd player has stopped reading disc's. Checked for new drivers, I seem to have current ones, but there seems to be a glitch with dvd players and Win 10. Last time I thought, "I can do this" , I ended up with loads of spam and the final insult of the spammers wanting me to buy their products! :cry: Any Ideas for me?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: DVD Player Again

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 pm

You don't need drivers for a DVD player. I have used the same DVD player for 9 years through Windows 7, 8 and 3 years of Windows 10. So, that's not the problem. While you simply may need to replace your DVD player, you might try disabling it and then rebooting the computer to see if it is recognized.

Right click on your Start button and select Device Manager. Find your DVD player where it is listed and right click it. Select Disable. Close everything and reboot your computer and see if Windows 10 finds and reinstalls it.

Let me know what happens.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:09 pm

OK, did that. Windows had nothing to say. Looking at the device manager and it tells me dvd is disabled.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 pm

So, when you rebooted, it remained disabled, right? That tells me Windows is no longer "seeing" the DVD player. Unless you think a cable has come loose somewhere, it sounds like you need to replace it.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 pm

No, I checked all the cables first. I have an extra player so I'll try replacing it tomorrow. I'll let you know if that works. Thanks!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Hope it works!
Stella
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Stella » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm

New player works just fine, so awaiting the next problem to show itself!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Well done, Stella! Maybe you will get lucky and there never be another problem again... "cough, cough"

Return to “Technical Help”