Monitor since video card

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: Monitor since video card

Post by draclvr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:49 pm

I believe it's time! Does the new one use the same kind of cable? If it does and your connect the new one with the old cable, that will tell you there may be a problem with that cable.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Post by middletoe » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:04 pm

I wonder if there could be a problem with the on/off switch on the monitor.
I have an older monitor and the only way to turn it on is to unplug it and replug it because the switch doesn't work.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm

I've wondered that too. But since she has a new monitor sitting there, I'd say it's time to plug it in and see what happens!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:10 am

Drac, I finally broke down and put the new monitor on the computer. Our power went out last night so it shut down the computer (I was leaving it on all the time so I wouldn't have to press the button so many times) and so when I tried to get the monitor going this morning I pressed the button about 100 times and decided enough was enough so opened up the new monitor. I don't like the sound card on it as much as the old computer, but, it works. whew.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:07 am

Good for you! And, um... sound card? Monitors don't have sound cards. Does this monitor have built in speakers? If it does, you don't have to use them. You can use the motherboard sound which will be much better.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:18 pm

I will have to try that. it just sounds really tinny (tinney?) sounding but I have another problem. I started playing a game and then minimized it to look at a walkthrough and I could not get into firefox again. I had them on my taskbar and right clicked to open but they wouldn't open. I had to restart my computer to get firefox working again. also, it said something about dvi on the top left corner. hubby put on both of the connections and I found places to put them in the back of the computer but I am wondering if I needed both of those connections. so, it works now, but just not correctly.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 pm

You only need one connection to the computer. You will be connecting to your video card. So, look at the connections on the video card and the connections on your monitor. Most likely you will be running a DVI cable from the new monitor to the video card on the back of your computer. DVI looks like this - there may be some differences in the pins, but it should have this rectangular shape. I noticed I posted a picture of the two different types of video connections earlier on page one of this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm

I doubt your issue with Firefox had anything to do with the monitor. But you should only have one cable running from the monitor to the video card, preferable the DVI cable.

To use your motherboard speakers, just right click the speaker icon in the lower right. Select Open Sound Settings. In the setting box, click on the down arrow next to "Choose your output device." Select high definition audio or something like that. It will depend on what's listed there.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 pm

so, per your instructions, I should take out the smaller one and leave the larger one in. I think I will try it now and see what happens. I am feeling a little frisky today so, a good day to try something new.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 pm

I don't know what smaller and larger means? DVI or VGA like the picture I posted on page one of the thread? Whatever you do, only use one! And make sure you are connecting to your video card, not the motherboard video.

I like frisky!

middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Post by middletoe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:59 pm

mbday630 wrote: I started playing a game and then minimized it to look at a walkthrough and I could not get into firefox again. I had them on my taskbar and right clicked to open but they wouldn't open. I had to restart my computer to get firefox working again.
If that keeps happening you may not be able to run both Firefox and that particular game at the same time.
mbday630 wrote: also, it said something about dvi on the top left corner. hubby put on both of the connections and I found places to put them in the back of the computer but I am wondering if I needed both of those connections.
That's fairly normal for a monitor to briefly flash which connection it's using onscreen when you start the computer.
Sometimes a monitor will also do it when a game changes resolutions.
mbday630 wrote:so, per your instructions, I should take out the smaller one and leave the larger one in.
By "smaller one" are you talking about an audio cable? or a 2nd video cable?
If you're using speakers inside your monitor for sound, you probably have an audio cable between your computer's audio jacks and the monitor.
Here's a picture of what an audio cable might look like --> link to picture of audio cable and monitor

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

yes, middletoe, it did come with a green cable thing with a pointy plug-in and I put that in the green colored spot in the back of my PC. The reason that I bought this monitor was that it had speakers and I didn't want to use my old speakers that sat on the desk and got dusty. I am wondering if I plugged it into the video card though. I just put cables in the slots where I think they should go.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

The green sound cable can only go in one place and that's the green input in the back of the PC. Is that cable coming from the monitor? If so, you are using the tinny monitor speakers. If you want to use your motherboard sound with your dusty speakers, you will need to unplug the monitor speakers and plug them back in.

Why don't we start over here because this is starting to confuse me! First we were talking about multiple video cables and now we're talking about sound cables!

1. What kind of cable are you using to connect your monitor to the computer? DVI, VGA or HDMI. I posted pics of the DVI and VGA cable ends earlier. HDMI will also carry sound and video and it looks like the picture below.

2. Is the video cable plugged into the video card itself or the motherboard video?

3. Where is this green sound cable coming from? Your monitor or your speakers? If it's coming from your monitor, then you have the tinny monitor sound. If you want the good sound from the motherboard, then you will need to use your little speakers, dusty or not.

Take a picture of the back of your computer if you need to and post it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm

When I unplugged the green pointy thing from the green spot it was in, I didn't have any sound at all, so I plugged it back in. I have the larger pronged thing in the only thing that I can put it in and the smaller end with the points in it, I took out. so, except for the one plug that I disconnected, everything is plugged into the only thing that it will fit into. and I am leaving in the DVI port - in the only spot that it will fit. I have looked at "my computer" and "sounds" and it says something is unplugged, but, I don't want to use the old speakers that get dusty and I have to move my snacks around to make room for the speakers.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Please look at the pictures I posted on page 1 and 2 of this post of the different types of video cables because I'm having a hard time understanding what a pronged thing is! I'm asking all these questions because you have a stand alone video card which should have ports to connect a monitor. Plus you have motherboard video which will also have ports to connect a monitor. You talked earlier about having TWO cables connected from your monitor... I want to be sure you don't have two video cable connected to the computer!

And if you don't mind the tinny sound from the monitor, then just stay with that. Let me post these questions again...
1. What kind of cable are you using to connect your monitor to the computer? DVI, VGA or HDMI. I posted pics of the DVI and VGA cable ends earlier. HDMI will also carry sound and video and it looks like the picture below.

2. Is the video cable plugged into the video card itself or the motherboard video?

3. Where is this green sound cable coming from? Your monitor or your speakers? If it's coming from your monitor, then you have the tinny monitor sound. If you want the good sound from the motherboard, then you will need to use your little speakers, dusty or not.