Windows 10 Pro License Discount

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Windows 10 Pro License Discount

Post by draclvr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:03 am

For those of you still running Windows 7, you only have about 5 more months until Microsoft stops all support. That means there will be no more security updates and you should really take the computer off-line to be safe. Microsoft is very good about supporting their operating systems for 10 years, but there comes a time that the older, less secure platforms are just too difficult to keep patched and secure. Plus, right now they are supporting 3 operating systems... Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I get a Windows 10-based newsletter from Windows Chimp. It's usually just information and today a warning about some new malware. But a couple of times they have offered a license for Windows 10 Pro for $79. It is $190 - $200 at Newegg and Amazon. This is a full retail version which you can use to either upgrade or do a full clean installation.

I have purchased two of these licenses from Windows Chimp and both worked perfectly. I used both to do full clean installations on new solid state discs. You would need to download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and then when prompted during your installation, enter the license.

Media Creation Tool

Windows Chimp

I have no idea how long they will be offering the license at this discount.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Re: Windows 10 Pro License Discount

Post by JKEerie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:43 am

You know, Drac, the problem with some of us laptop owners is to find completely compatible drivers to work on Windows 10. Laptop manufacturers don't offer updated drivers as it stands. Getting a driver from the component manufacturer directly doesn't always work due to the tweaking that the laptop manufacturers do their drivers. I've tried newer ones only to have to roll back to the originals. So...I won't be updating this laptop from Windows 7. I am, however, looking for my next one. I like the Asus I've had since 2010. It has served me well, so I'm leaning toward them again. I like the portability of the laptop versus a desktop, since I can take it to any room...and more comfortable seating...to play or work. Thanks for the heads up, though.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:12 am

I agree with you... laptops just don't have great driver support. Let me know when you start looking - I get insider deals all the time. I like ASUS too and used an ASUS motherboard in my grandson's computer that he and I built in March. Loved that motherboard and will be using ASUS for my next built too.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:05 pm

I'll probably start seriously looking in the next few months. I've looked at some offers and deals at the Asus website. I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger though. Prices keep coming down as they are always coming up with the next model for the most serious gamers. I'm also thinking I may go with one with Nividia graphics versus ATI. Do you have a preference one over the other with respect to graphics?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:46 pm

I've only used Nvidia graphics and will stick with them. A very good time to start looking is the "back to school" sales and then again towards Christmas. The school laptops are usually very low end as most college students don't need a good gaming laptop. A good one costs in the range of $1400 and up too!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am

I know you're not ready, but I got this email from Nvidia this morning. One thing I would highly suggest you look for when you're ready is a minimum of a 512 GB SSD - solid state drive. You won't believe how fast and wonderful an SSD is. I don't think I could go back to a regular hard drive!

Nvidia Back to School Laptop Sale

Winfrey just got a brand new Razer laptop and is loving it!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Well, I bit the bullet and found a sweet Black Friday deal online at Walmart: ASUS ROG STRIX 15.6" Laptop, Intel Core i5-9300H, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti GDDR6 6GB, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIE SSD, Black, GL531GU-WB53. Only $899.

I decided I didn't need a 17 inch display which I have now on my Asus. To get this much laptop for under $900 was too good to pass up.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:39 pm

Oh, what a good, good deal! Well done. I thing you're really going to like this one. In particular, you're going to quickly get used to the screaming fast speed of that SSD! Can't wait to hear what you think of it once you get it set up!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks, Drac. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It always takes a while to get used to a new computer. I will likely still use my Windows 7 laptop for some things. It's still running great. That's why I decided on another Asus. How hard of an adjustment will it be getting used to Windows 10?

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:50 am

I don't think very much. There was no one more adverse to getting Windows 10 than GreyFuss. But he was forced to when his Windows 7 drive failed in his desktop. I helped him through getting a new speedy SSD and a copy of Windows 10 and installing it. He then connected the failed drive and the new drive could "see" all his precious data and files. He was able to transfer everything over to the new Windows 10 drive. I helped him with a couple of Windows 10 things and he said he had found it pretty easy to get used to.

I can do Windows 10 in my sleep, so PLEASE just holler at me if you need any help!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:59 am

Thanks, Drac! I will appreciate your expertise.
BTW...in addition to the sweet deal on the laptop, I also got 10% cashback through Rakuten, and 5% cashback from Discover! That'll buy me the Office Suite you posted about in the other thread.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 am

Well, then... SCORE! Merry Christmas to you!

JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by JKEerie » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:16 am

Yes. It definitely came early for me!

Just realized the Rakuten was "up to 10%" so I got only 1% for the electronics. Still...6% total wasn't bad. Paid for almost half of the Office suite. :D

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Definitely not a bad deal at all. Have fun!