She spied “The Mansion” from the moonlit road.

A place to save the special and unique topics.
infernoj13usa
Ghostwriter Extraordinaire!

She spied “The Mansion” from the moonlit road.

Postby infernoj13usa » Wed May 19, 2004 6:58 pm

Hello Everyone:

I'm on vacation (of sorts) and thought I’d drop in and say hello.

Inferno decided to take a carriage ride. Imagine her surprise when she spied “The Mansion” through the heavy foliage from the moonlit road. "How beautiful", she thought, as Inferno parked her carriage and set foot alight.

***Footsteps purposeful and dreary could be heard as Inferno navigated the brambles strewen along the wind swept old trodden path.

But… they are not hers, whose then?? ***

The strange glow from the night sky above, cast it's eerie shadows upon the lawn and front gardens as she found her way upon the walk. Objects common to all in the light of day take on new meaning after the sun sets, or so she had been told; after the moon rises and bathes them with it's haunting pallor.

She climbed her way up onto the columned porch still ladened with roses of the past. ...And timidly knocked upon the old oaken door.

"rap ... rap ... rap..."

…But no one answered.

Inferno knocked once more, louder this time,

"Rap ... Rap ... Rap..."

She listened ... and but heard no sound from within, no rustle of clothing and clicking of heels as one might hear from the other side when your on the outside of the door. Only the mournful cry of a lonely raven as it circled the chimney, winging its way homeward to its liar; bringing food to its young... or was it?

"RAp ... RAp... RAp..!"

Louder still, for now the wind had called up its powerful gales and she could see the swirling clouds of a mighty storm approaching...ever approaching. As the first crash of lightening illuminated the lawn, Inferno stared open mouthed, as it seemed that the garden statuary had come to life... No, no that just isn't possible... but there were eyes that told her differently as their brilliant amber glow seemed to slice right through to her very soul.

Poor, pitiful Inferno…

"RAP ... RAP... RAP..!!!"

She banged on the heavy door.

"Pleeease let me..." Her voice was cut off in near mid sentence, as the violent boom of thunder seemed to trigger the old Oaken Door. And it slowly, painfully swung its way open and Inferno entered The Mansion.

"What a place is here, truly beautiful in all its ghostly glory." whispered Little Inferno aloud.

“Have you come hunting Ghosts?

Then properly warned ye be, says I....” replied a corporeal voice.

"Who’s ........ there?"

But again there was no answer, only the tinkling melody from an old music box, playing in the vestibule. Now, music boxes have always been a particularly grave fear of Inferno’s …though tiny and seemingly harmless…SHE knew better….for she KNEW just what they could do to a person, if you let them. (But that, after all, is another ghost story).

Inferno sidled up against the far wall, furthest from the pulsating box as she made her way down the hall. Another lightening crash filled the room with a pale blue brilliance and she saw in that terrifying instant a beautifully delicate presence dressed in a long white receiving gown and transparent as gauze beckoning her follow.

Inferno breathed deeply for her lungs were becoming constricted and she remembered her pills were still in the carriage on the moonlit road. She noticed that the room had become overpowered with the scent of fresh lavender. Inferno’s breathing was becoming increasingly more and more labored as she clutched at the pain in her left arm.

“I’m so cold…so very cold”, she thought to herself.

“Don’t fret so, my dear! You’ll only make things harder in the long run.” a kindly voice rang in her ears

… Inferno wasn't sure but she could swear that it emanated from the ghostly apparition standing sentry in the doorway.

“What… is… this… place…?” Inferno haltingly asked, as she concentrated on each and every word as if in an effort to comprehend them, for now the pain was as a white-hot knife which pierced through her to where her heart used to live.

“Why, it’s our Conservatory,” replied the disembodied voice.

Inferno not being able to move stood frozen, her feet riveted to the floor as her knees began to buckle.

“I…c-ca-can’t m-m-move!”

“You don’t have too”

To Inferno’s astonishment… and horror, the doorway to the Conservatory began to move backward and forward as though it were breathing on it's own... As though the house had awakened from its turbulent and unrestful sleep and become alive! It slid along the hallway with a slitheringly creaking sound…ever growing in size as it drew itself nearer and nearer until it swallowed her whole.. She shut her eyes in abject terror and screamed.

She slowly opened her eyes. She was no longer in the hallway. The beautiful Conservatory loomed about her in all it's Victorian finery. Inferno shuddered and shook off her moment of insanity and relaxed a bit for the horrible clutching pain was gone. She felt light and airy as she glided about the Conservatory recognizing both new and old friends from forums past and present,

"GeezLouise! Howdie Doodie Everybody. What a neat place this is."

Inferno :mrgreen:
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Wed May 19, 2004 7:07 pm

:yay :thumleft: Thank you for that, Inferno. It was a lovely hello. :wave :hi

You certainly honor us with your presence. Between you, Michael and Jonathan, we're beginning to attract quite the AG celebrity A-list! :jump

By the way, how's that XP patch for Amber coming? :lol:
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Wed May 19, 2004 7:09 pm

Oh my God. How beautiful is that. Welcome to Mystery Manor Infernoj13usa. I am speechless from all that gothic glory. What are you doing visiting forums? You should be writing. You know those old gothic books are getting hard to find and people are sure looking for them.

We are honored to have your presence....

:hi
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Wed May 19, 2004 8:06 pm

Ghostlady, I think such beautiful prose belongs on the front page of the site, if Inferno would allow that, as an intro to the site. How better to set the mood, than some scary dark story-telling?

Inferno, thank you very much for honoring us with this!

FGM
george crabtree
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby george crabtree » Thu May 20, 2004 10:44 am

Good afternoon fellow existentialists,

Inferno.... what an interesting name. Dramatic, and powerful. Dante would be proud.

It is interesting to see that you too have been lured to the manor, on a moonlit night. I too arrived in a rather bizarre fashion (after tumbling down the train embankment at Dowerton), and have since found myself wandering the endless corridors... and libraries. Perhaps we will meet one cold night, for a sherry or two.

George

P.s. I presume you like Sherry? Perhaps Ghostlady would be kind enough to provide some whiskey.... a Scottish single malt would take away the chill. I could wear my kilt, especially for the occasion.
The woods were lovely, deep and dark....
infernoj13usa

Postby infernoj13usa » Thu May 20, 2004 1:59 pm

Ah... Kind Sir!

... You are aquainted with my preclusion for kilts and what a what a well dressed man should wear, be he alive ... or dead.

Alas, I have not the courage to leave the comforts of the Lady in White nor the Conservatory just yet.. for the hallway still sports the dreaded music box. A fear I've not been able to overcome since childhood, even after crossing over...it still pervades.
george crabtree
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby george crabtree » Thu May 20, 2004 4:24 pm

Good evening madam,

I waited in the library, with the promised bottle of Scotch, but to no avail. I will call again, sometime soon, and hope to one day join you for a game of chess. Obviously, if there are others who would like to attend, we could perhaps play a jolly game of charades, or some other such silliness. I hear this new fangled game called Cluedo (Clue) is a hoot and a half. Ghostlady could preside over the events, and stop the naughty spectres from cheating!

I do love a kilt moment now and then, but sadly I cannot wear them all the time. I often walk upon Bodmin Moor (looking for the Two Faced Bride) but the winds can be rather gusty. So, the kilt has to stay at the hotel. I wouldn't want to frighten the wild ponies of the moor.

Always,
George

P.s. There really is something rather delicious about writing my posts to you on parchment. It's adorable.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Thu May 20, 2004 4:27 pm

Could be worse. That music box could be made of...... PORCELAIN! :scare :help :wah:
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
infernoj13usa

Postby infernoj13usa » Thu May 20, 2004 4:35 pm

I should like a game of "Cluedo" it was all the rage in my past life. I look forward to it, Sir.

Mr. Jim: It makes little difference what the dreaded music box is made of ... my phobia still prevails over me. Perhaps when I finish writing the story that tells the tale "Annie and The Music Box" I will be over it. And my angst will remain properly sorted.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Ghostlady » Thu May 20, 2004 8:30 pm

I also should like a game of "Cluedo" with a fine glass of sherry. But, the best of the spirits is down in the Wine Cellar. Do you dare, George, descend those stone steps, never knowing when one of the sprites will dart out in front of you causing you to miss a step? Do you think you can find us some fine wine in between the rotted floor boards and spider webs? If you do succeed, we shall await you in the Library. I wear a necklace thats has a sacred amulet embedded in it. This will protect Inferno from that dreaded music box and get her to the Library.
Fairygdmther
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul

Postby Fairygdmther » Fri May 21, 2004 8:09 am

Ah, but do not, kind sir, go to the rear of the cellar, where chains rattle and whispers are heard. Do not be tempted by the moaning of sirens who beseech you to come hither! Nay! For they will pull you into the pentagram faintly etched by fire on the floor, and then who knows what may become of you!
george crabtree
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby george crabtree » Sat May 22, 2004 6:39 am

Dearest all,

Ah ha! You have peaked my interest. The cellar sounds a most intriguing location, full of danger and ancient mysteries. I have a particular fondness for such locales, as you may know. I did have a little bad luck, a while ago, and managed to unleash a truly nasty wraith upon the hotel. It really was the death of me. So, even in my new found spectral form, I shall take the utmost care when exploring the cellar here at the manor....

......now where did I put that lantern.

George

P.s. Perhaps someone could pop to the kitchen, and fetch some stilton and brie for our games evening. I fancy a nibble.
fixr
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby fixr » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:04 am

Hello Infernoj13usa. What a great story. I really enjoyed it. Welcome to the Manor. It's a pleasure to meet you. :)
jenny
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby jenny » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:38 pm

hi hi great story , i'm impressed :D
please to meet you :rofl

Return to “Archives”