Book Reviews by Title - C, D

A place to save the special and unique topics.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Book Reviews by Title - C, D

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 pm

C

The Canaan Trilogy (Sarah, Zipporah, Lilah) by Marek Halter
I just finished this Biblical trilogy and have to say I enjoyed it immensely. The first book is about Sarah, Abrahams wife, the second, Zipporah, Moses's wife and the third, Lilah, Ezra's sister. The descriptions in these books are marvelous, from the opening pages in the great Babylonian city of Ur to the palaces of the Pharaoah and the wide open fields of Canaan. The downside to the books is that there are too many love scenes that could have been left out. For me that seem to take away from the story.
~Reviewed by Ghostlady

Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg
Fannie Flagg is an excellent storyteller, and she peoples her small rural town tale with quirky and often humorous characters. This is a very positive book with a neat slant on the afterlife.
~Reviewed by Lady Kestrel

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett
All the people from Lancre and the neighboring valleys have been invited to the castle in Lancre to participate in the naming ceremony of the baby princess. Unfortunately, this also includes a family of vampires from Uberworld who have decided to stay....forever. With most of the population under their control, it is up to Nanny Ogg, Agnes Nitt, and Queen Magrat to try to defeat them because Granny Weatherwax has gone missing.

This is a great spoof on the old Dracula and Frankenstein stories, complete with pitchfork carrying peasants, a priest, and a lisping Igor. I loved it!

Chocolat by Joanne Harris ****
When an exotic stranger, Vianne Rocher, arrives in the French village of Lansquenet and opens a chocolate boutique directly opposite the church, Father Reynaud identifies her as a serious danger to his flock - especially as it is the beginning of Lent, the traditional season of self-denial. War is declared as the priest denounces the newcomer's wares as the ultimate sin.

Suddenly Vianne's shop-cum-café means that there is somewhere for secrets to be whispered, grievances to be aired, dreams to be tested. But Vianne's plans for an Easter Chocolate Festival divide the whole community in a conflict that escalates into a 'Church not Chocolate' battle. As mouths water in anticipation, can the solemnity of the Church compare with the pagan passion of the chocolate éclair?

I have already seen the film a few times, but had never read the book it was based on. As can be expected, the story here is more elaborate, with more characterisations, more backgrounds and simply more chocolate goodness. At the same time the movie and the book may have plenty of differences between them, but they do share the some enchanting atmosphere and underlying themes. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Now if only they could have fit in a literary equivalent of Johnny Depp in it, it would have been perfect. :wink:
~Reviewed by Wimli

Chocolat by Joanne Harris
I thought the book "Chocolat" was far better than the movie, but then I read the book first and perhaps I was slightly biased as a result. I thought the movie deviated from the book too much. I just love Ms Harris' way with words and her descriptions of food and wine jump from the pages. Yummy reading. :)
~Reviewed by Val

The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere
This is a short and rather maudlin story, based on a Christmas song, about about a young boy’s search for a gift for his dying mother. The characters are much too perfect to be real, and the story reads like a sermon. It may have made a decent song, but it falls short as a novel.

City at the End of Time by Greg Bear
I've always found Greg Bear's sci-fi novels to be a bit different from others in the genre. He often steps sideways out of the box, and although his steps sometimes wobble a bit, he usually produces something very memorable that changes the reader's perception about big issues. (You know, like life, the universe, and everything.) His City at the End of Time is, in my opinion, one of his most memorable works. It's an epic story that combines the amazing possibilities of our future evolution with the power of ancient legends.

The main characters of the story have the ability to move across time and inhabit alternate versions of themselves. They are the owners of strange stones called sum-runners, objects that stay the same in every reality. They are being hunted by others with similar powers who want the stones for their own ends. Two of the three characters dream of the dying city in the title and, in their dreams, are visitors into the minds of two of the city’s inhabitants. These characters are being drawn together by the ruthless destruction of the time lines, and they find themselves in a battle for the future itself. Heady stuff, that, and very well done.

The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver
On a freezing December night, with a full moon hovering in the black sky over New York City, two people are brutally murdered -- the death scenes marked by eerie, matching calling cards: moon-faced clocks inves-tigators fear ticked away the victims' last moments on earth. Renowned criminologist Lincoln Rhyme immediately identifies the clock distributor and has the chilling realization that the killer -- who has dubbed himself the Watchmaker -- has more murders planned in the hours to come.
Rhyme, a quadriplegic long confined to his wheelchair, immediately taps his trusted partner and longtime love, Amelia Sachs, to walk the grid and be his eyes and ears on the street. But Sachs has other commitments now -- namely, her first assignment as lead detective on a homicide of her own. As she struggles to balance her pursuit of the infuriatingly elusive Watchmaker with her own case, Sachs unearths shocking revelations about the police force that threaten to undermine her career, her sense of self and her relationship with Rhyme. As the Rhyme-Sachs team shows evi-dence of fissures, the Watchmaker is methodically stalking his victims and planning a diabolical criminal masterwork.... Indeed, the Watchmaker may be the most cunning and mesmerizing villain Rhyme and Sachs have ever encountered.

Another great Lincoln Rhyme novel.

Twists and turns a plenty in this novel as Amelia investigates a case of suicide and together with Lincoln investigate the strange serial Killer known as "The Watchmaker". Great characters, edge of your seat tension and a real page turner of a mystery. Your never quite sure where this one is going next.

Deaver also uses this novel to introduce us to a new character, Kathryn Dance, an expert in interrogations and Kinesics who appears to be heading for her own series (The Sleeping Doll is on my to read pile).

This is certainly the best of the 3 main author crime novels i've read this month.

Great stuff.
4/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
For those of you that haven't seen the movie, here's a brief:
The story centers around two characters, Inman and Ada, during the Civil War. When the story starts, Inman is in a hospital injured and barely alive. He decides to find his way back home and give up the war. Commonly known as a deserter. So one day he leaves the hospital, on foot, and starts walking toward Cold Mountain, North Carolina, his home. Now he walks and walks and walks. So he must be many miles away. Along his journey of starvation, exhaustion, hiding and fighting off enemies, he flashes back to memories of Ada. His love before he went off to the war. Then the story switches to Ada, the daughter of a preacher, who had everything she had ever needed in life, educated and well book read. Her story starts with the passing of her father. She is now left alone on Cold Mountain to fend for herself, but she does not know how. Between the grief and hunger, she starts to loose it mentally. Along comes Ruby, a young mountain girl who grew up with no mother and a drunken father, who helps Ada survive with her knowledge of farming and basic survival skills.

Basically, the story continues back and forth between the two characters, each trying to survive until, I assume, that they meet up in the end.

The story is very good. The downside is that the author goes on and on with mountain superstitions and too may descriptive paragraphs which I have to chunk as I am reading.
~ Reviewed by Ghostlady

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
This first book of the Discworld series had me laughing out loud by the second page and yearning for the next one as soon as I finished it. The adventure starts when Rincewind the kinda-sorta wizard meets Twoflower the tourist who has a very interesting piece of luggage. Philosophical slapstick (or maybe slapstickish philosophy) begins here.

Columbia by Pamela Jekel
I just finished Columbia by Pamela Jekel. I rate it a 10 out of 10. A historical fiction story about the Columbia river, which flows from Canada to the Pacific, and the people who thrived from it.
~Reviewed by Ghostlady

Conspirator by C. J. Cherryh
Cherryh is one of my favorite science fiction authors, and her Foreigner series is one I have enjoyed all the way through. This 10th book is no exception. Her main character, Bren Cameron, is the diplomatic link between his fellow humans and the atevi, an alien race close to that of humans in appearance but very different in the way they think and the way their culture is structured. The humans who landed on the planet made assumptions about their relationships with the aliens that nearly started a war. When the powers that be on both sides realized that everyday interaction between the races was not going to work, the humans were relocated to a large island and the job of preventing misunderstandings fell, eventually, to Bren.

In this novel, Bren must protect the future ruler of the atevi who has decided to take a vacation from his studies without permission and visit Bren at his country house. Intrigue is an everyday thing in atevi society, and alliances have shifted since the civil war when Bren, young Cajeiri, and Cajeiri's grandmother were in space. Bren's once safe haven may not be so safe anymore, and the boy with his two young bodyguards may be headed into the thick of it.

Contagious by Scott Sigler
When the seeds landed on Chelsea Jewell, they made her seven-year-old body and mind the incubator for the worst plague ever to attack the planet.

Mankind’s best hope of defense is Perry Dawsey: host-turned-hunter, bloodthirsty psychotic, and – with his strange new ability – a key member of the black-ops team leading a deadly battle against the mysterious disease that is spreading across America.

Now Dawsey and the rest of the black-ops team are in a desperate race to find and destroy Chelsea and her ‘family’ – before it’s too late.

Sequel to Infected that I read back in January. More pulp horror as the infection adapts and continues to spread. The hero is a character from the previous novel that survived the infection. He dug out all the growths and is now telepathically linked to these alien invaders.

It is grossly violent at times and pretty ludicrous, but it is a fun pulp read and I enjoyed it for what it was.
4/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Young Coraline (not Caroline) recently moved with her busy parents into part of a big old house which they share with others. She has explored the place thoroughly and spent time with her new neighbors, but now she's bored. One day, she steps through a door to find another house nearly identical to her own but better. Things seem wonderful at first, but there's another mother and father there who want her to stay with them forever and be their little girl. Coraline must use her intelligence and courage to save herself and others and return to her normal life.

A twelve-year-old friend and I both read this one at the same time. We both got goosebumps from it, and we both agreed that Coraline was a great heroine. We plan on seeing the movie together soon.

Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt
When streetwise Molly Templar witnesses a brutal murder at the brothel she has recently been apprenticed to, her first instinct is to run back to the poorhouse where she grew up. But there she finds her fellow orphans butchered, and it slowly dawns on her that she was the real target of the attack. For Molly is a special little girl, and she carries a secret that marks her out for destruction by enemies of the state.

Oliver Brooks has led a sheltered existence in the backwater home of his merchant uncle. But when he is framed for his only relative's murder he is forced to flee for his life, accompanied by an agent of the mysterious Court of the Air. Chased across the country, Oliver finds himself in the company of thieves, outlaws and spies, and gradually learns more about the secret that has blighted his life.

Soon Molly and Oliver will find themselves battling a grave threat to civilization, an ancient power thought to have been quelled millennia ago. Their enemies are ruthless and myriad, but the two orphans are also aided by indomitable friends in this endlessly inventive tale full of drama, intrigue, and adventure.

The Court of the Air is a rollicking adventure set in a fantastical Dickensian clockwork universe that will appeal to fans of Susanna Clarke and Philip Pullman.

Don't believe the hype above.

Most dull and uninteresting characters inhabit this victorian world of airships and steampunk.

Really couldn't get into it and gave up about 3/4 of the way through.
2.5/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold
Like many women in his life, I fell madly in love with Miles Vorkosigan when I first read about him in Warrior's Apprentice many years ago. Despite physical problems that would bring down a lesser man, he has fought the good fight for justice and equality in his part of the universe.

It has been a long journey since Miles was a self-appointed admiral of the Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet. He is now married and has become a respectable Imperial Auditor for his home planet of Barrayar. So why is it that he finds himself smack in the middle of trouble yet again?

Sent to a conference on the planet of Kibou-daini to investigate a cryocorp's attempts to expand its franchise into the Barrayaran Empire, Miles soon finds himself lost in the vast network of cryocombs under the city. His rescue by a young boy who loves animals leads Miles to discover a network of corruption and conspiracy that reaches out from the currently frozen who are trying to cheat death and into the worlds beyond.

Suspenseful and clever, this one shouldn't be missed.

D

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Just finished reading The Da Vinci Code - I am sure it has been mentioned here many times before - but I thought it was absolutely brilliant. It has caused me to look further into Da Vinci's life and look at his paintings in a completely different light!!
~Reviewed by Rosaboobie

Dancing Aztecs by Donald Westlake
Donald Westlake is one of the most successful American authors over the last forty years--and hardly anybody knows who he is. He is primarily known for his "comic caper" novels, particularly his Dortmunder series, which tell hilarious stories of a gang of NYC crooks and their various heists. The Hot Rock, Bank Shot and Jimmy the Kid are all from the Dortmunder series and have been turned into movies of varying success. Westlake also writes the occasional screenplay, notably Payback (which he adapted from his own novel) and The Grifters, which earned him an Oscar nomination.

Though not one of the Dortmunder books, Dancing Aztecs sits as the jewel in Westlake's crown as King of the Comic Crime genre. It tells the story of a small-time hood who stumbles upon a plot to smuggle a priceless South American relic into the States in a crate with several plaster copies. When the real statue gets passed out along with the copies at an celebratory banquet, it becomes a madcap chase over all of New York as an ever-increasing number of people race each other to track down the Real McCoy.

Though many of the cultural references are now a bit dated (the book was written in 1976), the humor remains untarnished today. This is one of only a few actual laugh-out-loud hilarious books I've had the pleasure to read... and re-read... and read yet again.
~Reviewed by Bacardi Jim

Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
In this 7th book of the Dresden Files, a mean and nasty vampire produces evidence that would destroy the reputation of Karrin Murphy, head of Special Investigations and Harry’s good friend, unless he does the vampire’s bidding, which is to find the powerful Word of Kemmler. Unfortunately, a bunch of necromancers are also after the Word, and the race is on to find it first to prevent the dead taking over on Halloween night. In the final gripping battle between good and evil, Harry rides to the rescue in a spectacular fashion that shouldn’t be missed. It made me laugh out loud and cheer him on. Two thumbs up and numerous white knuckles for this one!

Dead Men's Boots by Mike Carey
Before he died, Castor's fellow exorcist John Gittings made several calls asking for help and if Castor had answered them, John might still be alive. So when a smooth-talking lawyer comes out of nowhere to claim the remains, Castor owes it to John's unhappy ghost and even more unhappy widow to help out. If only life were that simple. A brutal murder in King's Cross bears all the hallmarks of an American serial killer supposedly forty years dead, and it takes more good sense than Castor possesses not to get involved. He's also fighting a legal battle over the body - if not the soul - of his possessed friend, Rafi, and can't shake the feeling that his three problems are related. With the help of the succubus Juliet, paranoid zombie data-fence Nicky Heath and a little judicious digging, Castor just might have a chance of fitting the pieces together before someone drops him down a lift shaft or rips his throat out. Or not...

Mike Carey is mostly know for his comic book work (Hellblazer and Lucifer), but has moved into the urban fantasy genre dominated by Jim Butcher and Laurell K Hamilton.

With this 3rd book he cements his presence. A thrilling ride through London as Castor investigates the death of one of his fellow exorcists, a ride that involves a demon Sucubbus, old London gangsters and an american serial killer.

Fast paced action, great characterisations and thrilling read from start to finish.

Can't wait on the next one "Thicker than Water".
4/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

Death Masks by Jim Butcher
In this 5th book of the Dresden Files, Harry is commissioned to find the missing Shroud of Turin before it falls into the wrong hands. He must also fight a duel with a Red Court vampire, identify a headless corpse for the police, and deal with his semi-vampire girlfriend, who is back in town but with another man. All this plus a hit man who wants to kill him is all in a couple days’ work for the only practicing professional wizard in Chicago. It’s another excellent addition to a very addictive series.

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
Death on the Nile is one of the few books I read in one sitting. Strangely I was reading it on a boat (a rented yacht, the kind families take on vacation, not the fancy kind :D).

It's hard reading Agatha Christie stories after seeing many murder mysteries that were inspired by her. Some things look like cliches when they probably aren't. It was enjoyable but took forever to start, and I guessed who the killer was fairy early on. Of course, how the killer did it was more interesting.
~Reviewed by Shany

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie ***1/2
The tranquillity of a cruise along the Nile was shattered by the discovery that Linnet Ridgeway had been shot through the head. She was young, stylish and beautiful. A girl who had everything . . . until she lost her life.

Hercule Poirot recalled an earlier outburst by a fellow passenger: 'I'd like to put my dear little pistol against her head and just press the trigger.' Yet in this exotic setting nothing was ever quite what it seemed.

I have seen plenty of adaptations for tv and film of Agatha Christie's mysteries, but never got round to reading one of her works myself. Glad I finally did! Death on the Nile is a brilliant murder mystery with a wonderful set of quirky characters, an exotic setting and a fascinating atmosphere. The fact I already knew the ending from the movie version, did nothing to diminish the fun in reading this one. Looking forward to reading some more of her mysteries!
~Reviewed by Wimli

Deceiver by C. J. Cherryh
In the last novel, Bren Cameron, the human diplomat allied with Tabini, the atevi ruler of the Western Alliance, had moved to his country estate to ease the tensions in the capital after the atevi civil war. Newly returned from a two-year space voyage with Tabini's son and heir, Cajeri, and Cajeri's fierce grandmother, Illisidi, he ended up in the middle of a fight for Cajeri's life when the lonely boy decided to escape his tutors and visit his human friend.

In this juicy new novel of the Foreigner series, Bren's comfortable but relatively small estate has become a crowded fortress brimming with bodyguards to protect Cajeri, Illisidi, and Geigi, the chief administrator of the atevi space station who has been recalled to deal with the cause of the current problems - his nephew's betrayal. When Bren's brother is injured and his former girlfriend is kidnapped by the enemies, these powerful politicians devise a plan that may stop this on-going rebellion once and for all, if it doesn't lead to out and out war.

I have gobbled up each of the ten previous books in this series, and this is another satisfying entry in Cherryh's consistently realized alien-human universe.

Denver Is Missing by D. F. Jones
Between detours for favorite authors and those books I’m reading for my book discussion group, I’ve been going through the fiction books on my shelves and choosing one author for each letter of the alphabet. For “j” I chose this yellowed paperback with a 1971 copyright. Considering the price was $1.25, I figured it was unread long enough and started in.

Now most of you know I keep a database of all the books I’ve read and/or own, but I didn’t bother to check it because I knew I hadn’t read this one. In fact, it wasn’t until I went to mark the book as read that I saw that I had already read it in 1974. Usually there’s an ah-ha moment when a familiar part jumps out at me, but this one didn’t register in the memory department at all from first page to last.

While it’s not most memorable book I’ve ever read, the story has suspense and a somewhat plausible story. Deep ocean drilling on a spur of the East Pacific ridge to hopefully get a sample core of the earth’s mantle leads to an environmental disaster when an enormous geyser of pressurized nitrogen begins filling the atmosphere. As the nitrogen encircles the globe and causes mass asphyxiation, especially in the high cities like Denver, rioting breaks out and the country comes under marshall law. To escape the lockdown of San Francisco, four people end up in a sailing yacht in the vast Pacific. Heading towards Hawaii and then Australia, they must weather a huge storm caused by the atmospheric disturbance, and then an enormous tidal wave caused by the collapse of the area around the geyser.

The characters are mostly stereotypical, and the social interaction is more typical of the early 1960s than a decade later. Also, there is a disturbing rape scene by a group of big bad soldiers that I found offensive. Hmmm. Come to think of it, this is a rather forgettable novel. I wonder why they didn’t make it into a disaster movie.

Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs
In a hidden cellar found by a plumber, a skull of a female is found at the center of a shrine consisting of animal bones, a headless chicken, beads and feathers. On a nearby lake shore, the headless body of teenage boy is found by a man walking his dog. Temperance Brennan is called in to investigate, but her efforts are often thwarted by a preacher turned politician starts a witch hunt against devil worshippers and Wiccans. Temp must get to the bottom of these cases before the vigilantes get out of hand.

This is not my favorite mystery by Reichs, mainly because I figured out a part of the solution before the characters did. It wasn’t poorly done, just a bit obvious to those who have read other mystery writers. Still, I enjoyed the continuation of the series.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick ****
By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep...

They even built humans.

Emigrants to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in.

Rick Deckard was an officially sanctioned bounty hunter whose job was to find rogue androids, and to 'retire' them. But when cornered, androids tended to fight back, with deadly results.

I've had this book for quiet a while now, but never got round to reading it. And I'm glad I finally did! Dick creates a believable future, humane characters and a satisfying story line filled with twists and turns that keep you turning the pages at a fast pace. It rightly deserves all the praise it has received and I'm looking forward to reading other works from this prolific author!
~Reviewed by Wimli

Dragons of the Mind by Katherine Lampe
This is a book of 7 fairy tales, and the writing is excellent. The first story really grabbed hold of me, and all are excellent stories that I recommend highly to any fantasy/quest lover. Not all are sweetness and light, but they're all well-crafted and gave me plenty of food for thought. If you like magic and cats, this one is for you.

Dream-Songs: A Retrospective Part 1 by George R. R. Martin
Gathered here, in Volume I, are the very best of George R.R. Martin’s early works, including never-before-published fan pieces, his Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker Award-winning stories—plus the original novella The Ice Dragon, from which Martin’s New York Times bestselling children’s book of the same title originated.

I have been reading this on and off for a while now. A series of short stories from the author of the "A Song of Fire and Ice" fantasy series. The book series as a kind of history of Martin's career. It splits the short stories into chronological order and themes (He is one of the few authors who can switch between Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy and other genres with ease) with a commentary piece by Martin in between, explaining how the stories came about and some autobiographical stuff.

It's a fascinating insight into Martin's life and inspirations. There are also some superb stories in this first collection that would wile away the hours, there are also some fairly rough stories esp the earlier ones. Luckily I bought the 2 part paperbacks as the hardback is about 1400 pages long.

I'll get to Part 2 at some point this year.
4/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton
The year is 3589, fifteen hundred years after Commonwealth forces barely staved off human extinction in a war against the alien Prime. Now an even greater danger has surfaced: a threat to the existence of the universe itself.
At the very heart of the galaxy is the Void, a self-contained microuniverse that cannot be breached, cannot be destroyed, and cannot be stopped as it steadily expands in all directions, consuming everything in its path: planets, stars, civilizations. The Void has existed for untold millions of years. Even the oldest and most technologically advanced of the galaxy’s sentient races, the Raiel, do not know its origin, its makers, or its purpose.

But then Inigo, an astrophysicist studying the Void, begins dreaming of human beings who live within it. Inigo’s dreams reveal a world in which thoughts become actions and dreams become reality. Inside the Void, Inigo sees paradise. Thanks to the gaiafield, a neural entanglement wired into most humans, Inigo’s dreams are shared by hundreds of millions–and a religion, the Living Dream, is born, with Inigo as its prophet. But then he vanishes.

Suddenly there is a new wave of dreams. Dreams broadcast by an unknown Second Dreamer serve as the inspiration for a massive Pilgrimage into the Void. But there is a chance that by attempting to enter the Void, the pilgrims will trigger a catastrophic expansion, an accelerated devourment phase that will swallow up thousands of worlds.

And thus begins a desperate race to find Inigo and the mysterious Second Dreamer. Some seek to prevent the Pilgrimage; others to speed its progress–while within the Void, a supreme entity has turned its gaze, for the first time, outward.

I have been a big fan of Hamilton's Space Opera's in the past. Which is why it was disappointing to read this, the first in a new Commonwealth trilogy. There is the usual gaggle of characters, including some from the previous duology, giant scope and big ideas. However it plods along at such a snails pace that the book is pretty much dreary until Paula Myo's appearance towards the end of the book.
3/5
~Reviewed by Lucien21

Duma Key by Stephen King
This is the story of one man's efforts to rebuild his life after nearly dying in a construction accident. With his body and marriage in tatters, he moves to Duma Key in Florida, where he begins to draw and paint and slowly to heal. He makes friends with the mysterious old woman who owns most of the island and the man who takes care of her and her properties, and he begins to discover some unusual talents within himself.

I was pulled into this story from the beginning and the 600+ pages just flew by. The suspense builds slowly in this one, and although it's not one of King's scariest, it still gave me plenty of goosebumps. I also enjoyed the discussions about art and the creative process, and I especially loved the complex and beautifully formed characters. I recommend it highly.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz

Return to “Archives”