Combat in The Witcher

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Combat in The Witcher

Postby Kickaha » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm kind of attracted to the Witcher as it's a RPG, and has gathered respect, but don't know if the combat is for me since I'm not into clickfests, or anything requiring fast reflexes or good hand eye coordination. Can anyone describe what's the combat is like from the point of view of someone not into action games? Thanks!
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Re: Combat in The Witcher

Postby Jen » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:39 pm

It's pretty action-y. I don't think you would like it. I seem to remember there's an Easy setting, though. Maybe you can download a demo somewhere and see for yourself.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 pm

If you are talking about Witcher 1, I think you might be satisfied with the combat system. I loved the lack of a "click-fest" style of combat. There was much more finesse and timing involved in the combat than in the usual "hack away and hope for the best" style of many other RPGs. You have 3 styles of fighting; strong to use against single strong enemies; fast to use to inflict damage as quickly as possible; and group which allows you to use moves that will strike against multiple enemies. Of course, in the beginning your skills are low and as you gain experience you will level up the skills you want to develop. You will have a Witcher's sword that is most effective against monsters and a steel sword that is most effective against human enemies. And the spells are invaluable along with your alchemy skills.

The story is very engrossing and the choices you make along the way will influence the gameplay. I don't know if there are demos out there, but I think you can get this game for $10 at GOG. Personally, I highly recommend it! But Jen is correct - it is very intensely action-y.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 am

OK thanks good people for the comments! It was "Witcher 1" I was thinking of.
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Postby Jen » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:15 am

There is a demo here. It's for PC, though--are you still a Mac person?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:51 am

I think Kickaha has Windows installed inside his Mac OS.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks Jen - for playing Windows games I either play them using VMware Fusion on my Mac, or dual boot ithe Mac into Windows XP. For something like "Witcher" I would dual boot, don't think it'll be worth trying to run it inside VMWare!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Since Jen was able to find a demo, I'd really recommend at least giving it a try.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:21 am

Out of interest, how does the combat compare to Gothic?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 am

I've never played Gothic, so I can't help. Maybe Jen has??

As much as I like Morrowind, the combat in that game is definitely a mad click-fest. I nearly wore out a mouse playing that one. In Witcher 1, you can use sort of a "trainer" in the beginning to help you get used to the combat system. It will prompt you for the next click. If you click too fast, you will stop the combo moves and have to start over. Once I got used to it I absolutely loved it and turned off the prompts.
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Postby Jen » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

No, I never did play Gothic. I do know the Witcher combat was not difficult for me once I got the hang of it (and I am the worst kind of flailer!), but I don't know how it would go for one who doesn't play these types of games regularly.

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”