Crysis

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Crysis

Postby draclvr » Thu May 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Well, I'm finally getting to put that new Geforce GTX 260 video card through its paces with my grandson's Crysis game. I put all the settings to maximum and played for a couple of hours tonight. What a treat to play something this graphically intensive without a single issue.

I put XP Pro on this new build, so I don't have DirectX 10, but I'm not sure what extra eye candy it could provide, because this sure is gorgeous.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Re: Crysis

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri May 08, 2009 2:33 pm

I had the demo on my computer some time ago and it seemed like a cool game, I was underwater, then on some sort of island in the dark. It did work on the 7600 Gt card, but must look so much better on yours.
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 pm

What I really like about this new computer is that I can play this game and the GTX temps stay way down low. One of my issues on the old computer with the 7600GT was the temps. That computer was just not made to dissipate heat from a card like that. Hope to see you sharing some of the Dark Room with me when you get some time! It gets lonely down here... Think I'll slip over to the wine cellar and see if there is a spare bottle merlot there.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Postby Jen » Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 pm

What kind of game is that? FPS? I play dark games all the time, but my taste runs to RPGs. I just started both Fallout 2 on PC and Chrono Trigger on DS. I don't like FPS because I stink at them and lack any motivation to get better, I guess just because the whole style of gameplay is not fun for me. I am not a hurry-up kind of gal.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Crysis is definitely a FPS game. Normally not my style either. I tend to run to the RPGs. But Crysis was Game of the Year in 2008 - or was it 2007 - and is just about the most graphically intensive game out there right now. I built a computer in February and have been dying to put my new GeForce GTX 260 graphics card through its paces and this is the game to do it. I pretty much like it, but I still prefer my RPGs, like you. I'm also playing around with Left 4 Dead making zombie messes down here in the Dark Room!

I have a gamepack of 3 Fallout games I won over at Gameboomers. I tried Fallout 2 on this new computer, but I think it will play much better on my older XP computer. I'm retiring in just about 6 weeks, so hope to have MUCH more time to game!

Have you played The Witcher? That has got to be the best RPG out there if you like choices in gameplay and character development. I'm on my 3rd play through it right now. I've also got a game of Vampire Redemption going and just finished another game of Vampire Bloodlines while I was cooling my heels waiting in Vienna for another gamer who is playing Redemption for the first time.

Ooooo..... Hawka, we might actually get some company down here!
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Postby Jen » Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm

I played about halfway through The Witcher and loved it the whole time, then my computer crashed hard and I would've had to start over again. I still plan to go back to it, but I have to let enough time pass that it's all new again.

I started VM:Redemption and got bored with it pretty quickly--it seemed like nothing but fighting. Some all-fighting games are fun for me, like Dungeon Siege and Divine Divinity, but for some reason I didn't like it in Redemption.

I am playing Fallout 2 in Vista and it works fine. I had to play around with the compatibility checkboxes some, though. Plus I have a widescreen monitor, so my character looks fat. Like looking in the mirror :p
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri May 08, 2009 11:14 pm

I got a new ViewSonic 22" widescreen last fall. My 6 year old 17 inch LCD was just fine, but my 85 year old mom has so many problems with dry eyes that I gave it to her. So I was forced to get this gorgeous new monitor. It has a setting which automatically changed the aspect from widescreen to regular for gaming. The first setting for all widescreen made Geralt in The Witcher look fat, gorgeous though he is! Plus, it just made me dizzy. So, I selected this setting and I just love it now. My grand-daughter can even play her simple games from Big Fish Games with no need to change anything.

It took me a couple of tries to get into Redemption too. I didn't like it at all at first. Now, it's one of my favorites!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Thu May 14, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks goodness for some new blood in here, it can be very lonely. Going back home tonight and hope very soon to get back into my RPG's. I like the shooters but am not very good at them, Crysis did look interesting though. I also had numerous crashes on my PC, due to a defective hard drive, thank goodness I had saves on a hard drive. I loaded Oblivion on the laptop, but I didn't get further than creating my character. I still don't have a chill mat, couldn't even find one I wanted here so I guess I will order from Amazon when they are back in stock.

See you later!!!!!
What kind of magic spell to use?

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”