Diablo

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Diablo

Postby draclvr » Sun May 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Just started a game of Diablo. I've spent over a year with Diablo II and the Lords of Destruction expansion pack, but decided I wanted to get into the original game. It says something about a game released to be played on 98SE that it is still available in a "Warchest" with its sequel in 2009.

Jude got me hooked on these games!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Re: Diablo

Postby Jen » Mon May 18, 2009 10:57 am

Nothing like a good hack'n'slash to take out all of your pent-up aggressions, eh?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon May 18, 2009 5:49 pm

Oh, you are so right, Jen! A nice simple hack 'n slash is just what I need at the end of some workdays!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Mon May 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah, Diablo II LOD is my favorite stress reliever (I used to play darts and pinball before computer games). My partner actually encourages me to "go play Diablo and kill things" when I get overwhelmed.

Draclvr: Diablo has a pretty cool story, better than Diablo II, IMHO, and also has the advantage of being able to save wherever you are in the game.

But you don't automatically get reborn if your character dies, so remember to save often! And the fallen treasure can't be highlighted all at once--you have to mouse over everthing to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Also, some of the quests don't appear in every game (it is random which ones appear), so if you find the going too hard, you can start over to get a game (without the butcher, for example--if the dying adventurer doesn't appear at the mouth of the dungeon entrance, then the butcher quest will not show up--BTW, getting behind a closed grate and shooting arrows is a good tactic against the butcher).

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 pm

I just got out of the game after an hour or so of play. Oh, yeah, I'm so lovin' that "save every few minutes!" I've died about forty-eleven times, of course. But I did finally make level 8, so it's getting a bit easier. I keep having to go back and buy health and mana, so am still using an axe. I do have a level 4 fireball spell too. Boy, it sure is slow-going in the beginning. I love all the familiar sounds and voices.

I know I'm loving this new 22" monitor to be able to see all the loot and stuff. It is sometimes very hard to see.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Did you recognize Cain, and the Scottish merchant guy (name escapes me at the moment) who comes back as a monster in Diablo II's Tristram? And Wirt, who's dead in Diablo II, but you get his leg? ;( Also, some of the bodies in Diablo II's Tristram can be identified from the position of the townspeople in Diablo.

Make sure you don't miss the spell merchant. She's kind of hidden up in the right corner of the town.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Yes, I think it's Tristram in Diablo II. Can't remember the Scottish merchant guy's name either and I just got out of the game a little while ago. Yup, Cain is his good ole familiar self too. And, yes, I've been patronizing the spell merchant quite heavily!
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Tue May 19, 2009 4:58 am

Another cool thing about the original Diablo game is that you cab just pile your stuff on the ground in Tristram (anywhere in town) and it will stay there! The only exception to this is if you completely restart the game with the same character--then you only keep the stuff you are carrying at the time.

This unlimited stash really comes in handy! You can don an item to raise a stat temporarily so you can learn a new spell or use an item, and then dump it back on the ground and equip something else. Also, you can store as many potions and scrolls as you can find!

Which character are you playing, draclvr? Each one gains points differently when you allocate stat points. If I remember correctly, Fighter is strength-biased, Rogue is dexterity-biased, and Mage is magic/intelligence-biased.

Another cool thing is that you can use multi-word names, like Jude the Victor. :wink:

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 am

What a great tip! I looked all over for a chest like you have in DII. I will definitely be stockpiling in town. Of course, I'm playing the female Rogue this time.. I love my female characters.

Jude the Victor - I like that!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Well, I've made it down to Level 13 where there are approximately 2,000 monsters guarding something I need to get to! Sheesh! This game is so addictive... I had re-learn point and click though!
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Tue May 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Remember to save often!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 pm

:twisted: Sometimes after every monster kill or two! I hate to lose my hard-earned progress...

Finally made it through the gazillions of enemies on level 13 - only to find no tome or ancient book! This is the second quest I've not gotten (the Blind one was the other). I don't mind slaying monsters just for the sake of slaying monsters, but I'd like to have a bit more reward!

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”