Dragon Age Origins

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Dragon Age Origins

Postby draclvr » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Just started this RPG game a few days ago. Don't know what I think of it yet. It's definitely not "love at first sight" like with The Witcher. I really don't like the controls, but I'm getting used to them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
patchman
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Postby patchman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Draclvr,
Any updates with this game. Not sure if have had time to play more of it or not, if you have I was wondering if you are enjoying Dragon Age...I was thinking of purchasing for the story which is suppose to be very good. What i would like to know if you are playing in " Easy" mode or a " Normal" mode. ? is it frustrating you yet or are you enjoying the gameplay mechanics? I would like to play it on easy mode to be able to get through it and enjoy the story..But many games say " easy" mode but they are very far from it.

Any thoughts positive / negative you have on the game would be appreciated......As always , Thank you.....Patchman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 pm

With deer season upon us, I haven't had much time to play. But it's been pouring rain for a day and a half, so it seemed like a good time to get warm and comfy and really get into this game.

The story is an excellent one and plays like a book I would enjoy reading. I'm playing in Normal mode as I normally do when first starting one of these games and I've found it challenging, but not too much so. I'd say, for me, that the Normal mode has been fine for getting used to the gameplay.

I've gotten about 3 hours of gameplay in and I still am not at the point where I can make the best advantage of having a Coterie with me. One thing that has bugged me is that when clicking on an enemy during a battle, one of my fellow warriors may run in and I'll click on him - all of a sudden I'm playing as that warrior. I haven't found a way to disable this in the Options. Maybe it will be a good thing once I get more used to everything.

The controls are still far from what I prefer as there is no precision with them. But I'm using the W for forward movement and the A and D keys for panning as I move. Sometimes I'll right click on an enemy to engage him, miss the target and my character will run off to the place where I clicked! I think I need to spend more time in the Options...

Anyway, to summarize, after about an hour and a half, the story and a few successes had me hooked. When I start looking forward to playing a game as soon as I sit down, it means that it's a good game for me!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
patchman
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby patchman » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am

Thanks Draclvr,
It sounds like a reccomendation to me..I appreciate all the information .I may just buy it.I see it on sale at gamestop and amazon for 39.99 for the PC..I will let you know what how it goes for me.

Thanx once again
Jen
Puffy Moderator

Postby Jen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:22 am

I had a $30 Best Buy coupon and put it on this game last night. I played the first two demons in the tutorial level and really liked it a lot! The controls do take some getting used to, but it's not that much different from regular WASD.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:56 am

I really need to get back into this game. I was finally getting to using the WASD keys for all movement - I still wish I could use the mouse for panning though as it's so much more precise. I got sidetracked by some house repairs and am at a standstill right now as I can't finish my ceiling drywall repair until we get a roof leak fixed. Hmmm... maybe tonight after hubby goes to bed, I'll pick up where I left off.

Glad you're liking it, Jen. And a $30 coupon? What a deal!

I have Bioshock 2 on the way, so I have a sneaking feeling, that one is going to take precedence!

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”