Imbueing and Other Help and Hints in Diablo II

If you need a hint or help with a game you are playing, this is the place to find it.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: How to Get Your Classic Blizzard Games Playing on New Systems

Post by Jude » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I just double-checked how I do it on my Mac.

• I select Single-player mode (are you using Single-Player mode or playing on battle.net? I doubt that it works on battle.net.
• Then I type the "enter" ("return" on the Mac) key to open the chat window (which is transparent, at the bottom of the game screen). I type "/players 8" in the chat window (make sure there is a space before the numeral 8) and type the enter/return key again.
• Then a message shows up for a few seconds at the top left of the game screen with the name of the character followed by a colon and "Players set to 8".

The game should then stay in that mode until you quit the session or use the /players command again to change it to a different numeral (between 1 and 8). When you start again, it will automatically be in normal players 1 mode unless you use the command again to change it.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 pm

My apologies, you are right about the Mana use for Blade Sentinel! I got the Mana usage mixed up the the Sorceress' Frost Nova skill (where the usage goes up as the skill level gets higher! :oops: I should have checked before posting.

Anyway, one of the characters that I've been playing lately is also an Assassin who is using Blade Sentinel, so I should have known that. :)

I switch between my characters a lot, though, and am always creating new ones. That's one of the benefits of playing single-player: you can have a zillion different characters if you want to and try out all sorts of different skill choices. :)
Jude's Wondrous Universe

draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Post by draclvr » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:04 am

I used to have at least 4 or 5 characters going, but I'm just concentrating on this Assassin for now. I decided to go read for a couple of hours before bed last night and have a 5-gallon bucket of tomatoes to can today, plus I have a computer here that won't boot up that I have to work on for a friend, so it will be awhile before I get back into it. This is just so much like having an old friend back!

I'm going to split these off because I really should have started a new thread in hints and help.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

draclvr

Re: Imbueing and Other Help and Hints in Diablo II

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:17 am

It rained all day, so I got some good playing time in. I've been playing in player 8 and have defeated Izual and the Armorer. Gads, THAT was a long slog of a battle! I have been upgrading jewels and runes in the Horadric Cube. I am now a level 32 Assassin and am using level 20 Blade Sentinel and a Giant Axe of Nova for the tough guys and a War Scepter of Maiming with a really good +34 defense shield. So Hell's Forge in player 8 was "interesting!" I also have a great mercenary. Ryann is of course ranged, but I have equipped her really well.

This is just nothing but fun! But I really need to level up a LOT more before I head for Diablo.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 pm

So, I'm at level 38 now. I have cleared out the Chaos Sanctuary using players 8 several times, but I'm still too nervous to take on Diablo!

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:02 am

You aren't playing with a Hardcore mode character, where death is permanent, right?
Jude's Wondrous Universe

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 am

No. When I die, I just grab a spare weapon and chainmail and go back in and get my body. I haven't died in a long time though, even when clearing out the Chaos Sanctuary!

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 am

I do, too. But sometimes that is hard to do when the area's big boss monster is still right there waiting!
Jude's Wondrous Universe

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:31 am

Or about 20 Pit Lords!

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:39 pm

So, Jude! I am finally at level 40 and can pretty much smoke through everything that is thrown at me in players 8 with Ryann, my merc. I think I'm ready to "go in" after Diablo! Any special advice? I'm planning on casting several Scrolls of Town Portal around because I'm sure I will need them! My stash is maxed out in money.

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:24 pm

40th level is pretty high, but I suggest resetting the game to /Players 1 (or restarting, since any monsters generated before you switch will be at the /Players level you had the game set at then).

It's been quite a while since I fought Diablo. Hmm, I'm trying to remember which big boss it is that resets if you leave... It might be Diablo. Remember that he is resistant to a lot of things (but maybe poisoned attacks might help - they usually do for regenerating monsters, although they don't work well vs the undead) and, if I remember correctly, he regenerates pretty quickly. If I am remembering correctly, I not only carried a lot of Healing potions in my inventory (and not just my belt), but also made sure I had items (or skills) that did damage back to the attacker if my character was damaged, and also items/skills that would take back life and/or mana with hits.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. :)
Jude's Wondrous Universe

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:16 pm

I did it, Jude! I finally beat Diablo! I definitely set it to players 1 first. I did it entirely with my level 20 spinning blades and my merc Ryann. I tried going toe to toe with him a couple of times and died immediately. So I just keep hitting him with spinning blades until he was toast! Yippee!

Running around killing stuff in Level V now.

Question. Should I be keeping these pieces of a set of items? It's a pain to keep them as my storage is limited.

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Congratulations! :) Are you going to do the Secret Cow Level? Remember, once you kill the boss there, that level becomes inaccessible until you defeat Diablo again at the next difficulty level.

Set items are a nuisance (because storage is limited, even with the Horadric Cube, which can be used for extra storage -- but make sure you "empty" it of extra stuff before planning to transmute things). And it is unlikely to find all the items in a given set during a game, anyway since (except for some particular quest items, and general categories, sometimes) drops are pretty random. And if you look up the synergy aspects/bonuses of the various sets, often it doesn't seem to be that great anyhow. On the other hand, I've known of some single-player players who use hacks to create "mules" to carry extra stuff, or make extra storage space, or using a LAN connection between two computers to move stuff that might be wanted later between characters (most of which were created just to hold extra stuff). Note that using a LAN multi-player connection to do this with reset all the maps (unless that has been changed in later versions), which means that nothing will be mapped, even if you have completed quests and found teleport pads (I think that is all that is lost/reset, though). I know this because I used to play LAN games with my mother or my ex-partner sometimes.

I guess I should have mentioned that another way to "cheat or hack" the game is to back up your saved game folder before starting the game to take on Diablo (or another tough boss), and then, if your plan doesn't work and your character is killed, you can replace the current saved game folder with a copy of your back-up (make a copy and rename it "Save"). But, it's more satisfying not to do this, right? :) I make back ups, though, in case the power goes out or something else happens that might corrupt the saved files.
Jude's Wondrous Universe

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:24 pm

I forgot all about the secret cow level. I wanted to do it, but I no longer have Wirt's leg. I'm working on the Baal level now. It was a rainy day today and I really couldn't do anything outside, so I got in several hours of Diablo.

That's a good suggestion about backing up the saves. The other stuff seems too much effort to me!

Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Jude » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Playing Diablo II can be addictive. ;)

You can gets Wirt's leg any time you want to by going back to Tristam after you have restarted the game after completing the Rescue Cain quest -- which you have already done (the portal should still be open) and click on Wirt's body again which will give you coins and a new version of the leg to use.

Hmm, it seems that with the newer versions of the game, if you have the Lord of Destruction expansion installed, you need to kill Baal first before you can open the portal to the Secret Cow Level, so you are on the right track!:
The Secret Cow Level can be found in Diablo II (with or without the expansion). To create a portal to the secret level, combine Wirt's Leg and a Tome of Town Portal in the Horadric Cube while standing in the Rogue Encampment. A red portal will appear if the player has also killed the final boss on that difficulty. If playing classic, that means killing Diablo, but if the expansion is installed, the player will have to kill Baal before the portal can be opened.
https://diablo.gamepedia.com/Secret_Cow ... Diablo_II)
Jude's Wondrous Universe