Portal 2

Talk about anything related to Action, Action/Adventure and FPS games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Portal 2

Postby Bacardi Jim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 am

I'm currently playing Portal 2 (having surprisingly enjoyed the first one, despite it being a FPS at heart) and this new iteration is even better than the original. The quirky sense of humor that made the original such a delight has been cranked up to 11 in the sequel. I'm probably less than a third of the way into the game, and I've already laughed as much and as hard as I did at BoUT. I don't want to give away too much, but the testing computer you destroyed at the end of the first game has reconstructed herself--and she is very, very bitter. Imagine HAL-9000 blended with Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.

This game is an utter delight so far.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Re: Portal 2

Postby Val » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 am

BJ you make me want to go back and persevere with the original. I'm afraid I gave up somewhere in the middle. Could never get through one level as hard as I tried. But maybe will try once again. :) Loved it up until that point.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Bacardi Jim » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 am

Val wrote:BJ you make me want to go back and persevere with the original. I'm afraid I gave up somewhere in the middle. Could never get through one level as hard as I tried. But maybe will try once again. :) Loved it up until that point.
There is one room at about the midpoint of the game that is near-impossible. You have to jump off a ledge and click a button, then twist 90 degrees and shoot two holes in two different walls while falling. I don't know how I made it through that room the first time, but I was replaying the game a few months ago and found myself unable to get through this room. It's kind of a shame that they stuck such a difficult room that early in the game, as I know you're not the first person to give up on the game at that point.

If you've played that much of the game, then you know what I'm talking about re the humor of the testing computer. That weird dark sarcasm has been amplified and warped in the sequel to make this one of the funniest games I've ever played.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 am

I know exactly what you are talking about. It was a brilliant game and just loved the humor. Maybe I will give the second one a go. Let me know if you encounter anything like that room you were talking about. That was the place that gave me nightmares in the first version. :)

Return to “Action, Action/Adventure and FPS Discussions”