Discuss your viewing preferences here!
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: Movies Watched in 2009

Postby Sneaker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 am

Daredevil
An accident with chemical waste makes Matt Murdoch blind at a young age. But his blindness make his other sense develop very strongly. He develops some sort of radar with which he can "see" his surroundings sharper then normal people. He uses his new powers to help people. During the day as a lawyer and during the night as Daredevil, the man without fear.

That this is a whole other superhero movie than Spider-Men or X-Men becomes quickly clear. This movie is more darker then the ones I mentioned earlier. Because of this, there will probably be a lot of people that don't like it, but I did. I wasn't really familiar with Daredevil, except with a few episodes of in the Spider-Man animation serie where he plays an important part.

The movie much darker and sinster on many points then other superhero movies. The atmosphere is great because of this and the figthts are raw. Some scenes are too dark, literally. Especially the bar fight is sometimes hard to follow because of this. But the rest of the fights are fantastic too look at.

The acting is very good too.Ben Affleck is a good Daredevil with some very strong scenes. Especially since he is so different from other superhero's.I really liked the scene with the kid and him: "I'm not the bad guy". Some laughs are brought by Jon Favreau who does that very good. The bad guys are fantastic. Colin Farrell is wonderful as the psycho freak Bullseye and Michael Clarke Duncan is fantastic as The Kingpin. I know him mostly from the Spider-Man animation serie in which he was a white guy. But I didn't need to get used to the different skin color from Michael Clarke Duncan, he was just that good. Jennifer Garner is great to look at as Elektra, but she is very good too. Finally there is Joe Pantoliano who is fantastic as reporter Ben Urich, a very interesting character.

The music is brilliant too. The two scenes in which they use the music from Evanescence are fantastic and especially the scen on the graveyard makes is so much stronger. The powers of Daredevil are great to see and the scenes in which he "really" sees feel very special.

What I didn't like was the story. Some things are hardly worked out or explained and that's a shme. The scene in which Elektra finds out who Daredevil really is, was she unbelieveable. They could have done a lot more, but they didn't.

But apart from that it is a good movie. More dark then other superhero movies, but certainly not less good.

---

Daredevil - Director's Cut
An accident with chemical waste makes Matt Murdoch blind at a young age. But his blindness make his other sense develop very strongly. He develops some sort of radar with which he can "see" his surroundings sharper then normal people. He uses his new powers to help people. During the day as a lawyer and during the night as Daredevil, the man without fear.

I thought Daredevil was good. The DC however is even better. I will only talk about what I liked and didn't like in comparision with the normal cut.

The DC adds more then 30 minutes new or altered material and that really helps the movie. Things that weren't explained or worked out in the normal cut, are much better here. This brings some very strong scene's like the one Daredevil is hunted by a victim he couldn't save. It allowed my the live more with his character.

But not everything is better. I didn't like Kingpin that much. There are some scenes that made him look weaker then in the normal cut. He looks in the DC more like a twisted psyhco (like the scene in which he kills one of his guards). In the normal cut he was more calculating and cooler. I also didn't like Coolio in the extra storyline that has been added specially for the DC. Sure, he is a familiar name, but I would have loved to see someone unknown to keep it real. Unfortunately the scene in which Elektra finds out Daredevil's identity is unchanged. But there relationship is different from the normal cut. No more lovescene between the two and I really loved what they did with it in the DC version.
Much, much better.

So even though the DC is not perfect, it really adds something to the movie, making it much better.

---

Elektra
After she almost died from her lethal injuries in Daredevil, she leads a lonely excistence as a ruthless hitman (or hitwoman). For a job, she enters a wonderful outhouse. She becomes friends with Mark Miller and his daughter Abby, her neibours. But when Elektra needs to take her out for a job, she decides to help them and protect her from her employees. What follows is a fight between good and evil.

Even though everyone seem to think this is a bad movie, I liked it and found it pretty entertaining. I love superhero movies, but I didn't know much about Elktra, apart from her role in the Daredevil movies.

This spin off takes place directly after Daredevil in which we see how she is revived in the back of an ambulance and then goes into training. Eventually she becomes a hitman. I have to say that I find Elektra a lot more interesting and in Daredevil. Because she is so different. This time she have obvious powers and there is even a myth build around her (she whispers in your ears and then kills you). It's very interesting but unfortunately never returns anywhere else in the movie.

And there is more wrong with the story. The most important point are the bad guys. I don't know why they are used in this way, but they don't look very strong and some are defeated really stupid. Take the unbeatable Stone for example. He really is unbeateable in the short fight we see. But a tree is enough while metal didn't stand a chance. They all aren't used very good and that's a shame cause there powers are pretty cool. Especially Typhoid. The only one who gets enough time is Kirigi. So he is good and his end fight with Elektra is great.

Concerning the fights and special effects. They are good in this movie. The fights are great and in the making of it is clear that the actors preform there own stunts and fights (and really hurt themselves). But the cgi is great too. Especially the powers from Tattoo and Typhoid are really cool.

The acting is pretty good too. I though Jennifer Garner is great because she is different from Daredevil, which makes her even better. And she is always fantastic to look at, especially in the outfits she's wearing. Will Yun Lee (familiar face) is great as Kirigi, just like Natassia Malthe as Typhoid. Goran Visnjic as good as Mark Miller, but Kristen Prout, his daughter Abby Miller, was really annoying in some spots of the movie. There is also a nice part for Terence Stamp as Stick. I also liked the deleted scene in which Affleck returns as Daredevil. But I understand why it has been deleted. It didn't fit the story at all. But it was fun though.

So even though the story could have been a lot better, and the bad guys didn't get enough time, I though it was a good, entertaining movie. I wanna see more Elektra.

Almost done. Only one more movie which I watched last week.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:12 am

Marie Antoinette
The Austrian princess Marie-Antoinette marries the French prince Louis XVI at a very young age. Her husband doesn't have much eye for her, which leads to high tension. When he takes over the throne from his father a few years later, Marie-Antoinette becomes Queen of France. But because she is born in Austria, the tension and her spending pattern, she is not populair under the people. People spread the wildest rumors about her and she has many scandals on her name.

Lost in Translation from Sofia Coppola is number 1 in my list of favorite movies. But I have never seen anything else from her. I was curious about Marie Antoinette, a movie she made three years after Lost in Translation.

I thought it was very good, but it has some problems. But lets start positve. The surroundings, the decors, the costumes. It all looks fantastic and very atmospheric. The music is very good too, but also pretty strange. It is pretty modern music that doesn't fit the the atmosphere and time in which the movie takes place. But for some reason it feels like it belongs in the movie. Pretty weird, but I liked it.

Just like with Lost in Translation, Sofia brings the different emotions very well to the forground. Things like loneliness, remoteness, boredom and unhappiness. The way she shows this and how the actors handle this makes sure that you feel with and for the characters (especially Marie-Antoinette). Especially the way how everyone talks about the royal couple like they aren't sitting right near them was very well done. The scene in which Marie-Antoinette breaks because of her new life was very good.

The story was very good, but it is based on the life of Marie-Antoinette. So it is hard to see what are facts and which scenes are Sofia Coppola interpretation. Either way, it is very interesting. What should have been a lot better though, are the scenes about the people in France themselves. They never tell us how bad they had it while Marie-Antoinette spends her money without trouble. Also the impopularity of the royal couple is hardly looked at (apart from the well known "saying" from Marie-Antoinette: "Let them eat cake".) Bacuse of this, the ending just come out of nowhere, just like the storyline about her affaire that is barely worked out and disappear as sudden as it appeared.The ending is beautiful though. You know how it ends with the real Marie-Antoinette, but the movie stops at a very beautiful point, not knowing the horrible things that await her.

What I couldn't get used to was the language that was spoken. The movie features characters from two countries. Austria and France. But they all speak English with some French words thrown into the mix. But that doesn't make things better. The movie would have been much more believeable when the characters spoke the original language. It just feels weird and fake and I just couldn't get used to it. This combined with the strange choice of music makes the movie feel a lot more modern then the time period in which the movie takes place. Because of this I couldn't do much with it.

The acting is ok. Dunst is fantastic as Marie-Antoinette and is perfectly cast. Also her friends were good. But the rest is not as memorable. Especially Jason Schwartzman looked really uninterested. I thought Rip Torn was unsympathic and more of a drunk villiage clown than the King of France.

In the end, I thought it was a good movie, but some problems kept me from enjoying this movie the fullest.

tom1
Recently Deceased
Recently Deceased

Postby tom1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:44 pm

I have seen Daredevil too, it is good...
What are you looking for?
Why not try mash dvds?
You can find many tv show on it, come on...
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:34 am

Has anyone watched District 9 - a movie made in South Africa and set in Soweto? It has had very good reviews and won awards (scored 90 on the Rotten Tomatoes tomatormeter and their concensus was "Technically brilliant and emotionally wrenching, District 9 has action, imagination, and all the elements of a thoroughly entertaining science-fiction classic"). I thoroughly enjoyed it but wonder whether any of you have seen it. Sneaker?
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:09 pm

Nope, haven't seen it yet. I'm sorry about my lack of updates of movies I recently watched. I'm so busy that I'm months behind in Dutch, let alone in English. But it will come, I promise ;).

shany
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby shany » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:56 am

I watched District 9 last week. I had a bit of trouble following the backstory. It was a very depressing movie. I felt sorry for Wikus even though he started out as a bad person. Even though the action was great it got a bit ridculous for this serious movie. Not a bad movie, but not one that I would rewatch either.

I also watched-
Monsters Vs. Aliens:
Cute movie, likeable characters. I felt it moved a bit too fast to develop them much, and even Susan's predictable development seemed to occure a little too quickly. Still, it was fun and had many funny moments and excellent voice acting. I would not mind a sequel.

Pineapple Express:
I did not expect much from this movie so I was pleasantly surprised. It was really funny, and even though it was very violent the violence was also (mostly) funny.

Return to “Movies & Television”