HOGs for kids?

Here's the place to talk about all your favorite casual games.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Sagittarius

HOGs for kids?

Postby skeeter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:35 pm

My niece loves to help my mum play hidden object games. She is seven and a half now and wanting to play them by herself. I want to find some that are suitable subject matter as well as easy enough for her to work out - she's been insisting she can play Key to Ravenhearst after playing some of the hidden object scenes for mum, and I am insisting it is not appropriate! I tried her on one of the Awakening games, but she lost interest - not sure if it was too hard. Then again, I was playing adventure games at not much older than her...
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Re: HOGs for kids?

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:49 pm

There are a bunch of Christmas games at Big Fish that are fairly easy and suitable for kids.
Winter is an etching, spring is a watercolor, summer is an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all. -Stanley Horowitz
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:07 pm

I got the new Puss in Boots Christmas game and it's perfect for kids. I found it entirely too juvenile for me, but my 9 year old granddaughter absolutely loved it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:35 am

My great nephews are now 8 and 9. Two years ago at Christmas, we played the Nutcracker together. They were so glued to that game, they didn't want to open presents! They wanted to replay it last year, so we did. This summer, they started the Tin Soldier when I was kid sitting. I'll give them the option of playing that or the new Puss in Boots. I think that any of the Awakening games would be kid suitable. The boys peaked at the Royal Detective: Lord of Statues game and really liked it as well. That's another one they have to finish!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:12 am

The Nutcracker was great, as was the Tin Soldier.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone :)
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues."
— Terry Pratchett
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Well, she loved Puss in Boots! It was perfect for her to play by herself, and I had trouble getting her off the computer... Now to find something similar.
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:21 pm

You might try doing a search on a subject she enjoys such as "cats."
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:38 pm

I'll try that, drac. I tried googling for kids HOG's but only found online ones. Because she wants to play by herself, I don't want her online. The best way would be for her to play one's I've played so I know it's suitable, but I can't think of any I've done that she could do herself. She's played Awakening with me, but she lost interest.
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Maybe try searching at Big Fish? I trust their games and I agree - I wouldn't want her online either.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:04 pm

She's sleeping over and playing Puss in Boots again... I'd better find her a new one ;)
— Terry Pratchett
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:00 am

I haven't had much of a chance to find some more for her, but she's not bothered. She loves Puss In Boots and just plays it over and over and over....
— Terry Pratchett
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 am

Well, whatever she enjoys is a good thing!
RaytheBear
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby RaytheBear » Sun May 08, 2016 4:51 pm

Hi skeeter,
Don't know if you are still interested in games for kids and I am not too sure on how set you are that the games must have a lot of HO screens, but there are 2 games I can think of that are very suitable for kids and they are: Royal Trouble and Royal Trouble - Honeymoon Havoc, I am now playing the 2nd one and have played it for about an hour and it is very cute and fun to play, I normally do not play these games but sometimes one needs a break from violent games and this game is both non violent and also very funny, so far I had a few chuckles. The game has no Voice overs but the text are well written and easy on the eyes to read.
skeeter
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby skeeter » Sat May 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks, I'll check them out...
— Terry Pratchett

Return to “Casual Games”