Discuss your viewing preferences here!
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Re: Movies Watched in 2009

Postby Sneaker » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm

Zodiac Killer
The Zodiac Killer is one of the most notorious serial killers ever. He have at least five victims on his name, but their are probably many more. But after all these years, he has never been caught. Michael Cosnick is so fascinate by him, that he starts a killing spree. In the name of the Zodiac Killer.

Someone on another forum made me very enthuastic about the movies from Ulli Lommel and the covers of the dvd's looked fantastic. So with a lot of enthusiasm, I bought a box with three of his films. But then came the negative sounds and this movie stands with a 1,8 on number 59 in the imdb top 100 of worst movies ever. And know I have watched the movie myself, I have no clue why.

I must say that I have always find it very special when a movie is shot with a digital camera. This adds realism that worked especially well in this movie.

Now there are some very amaturistic in this movie. For example the sattelite tracking software. It is just Microsoft Word. There were even some words underlined with green and red. Not believable nor professional. At least try to make it look like a sattelite tracking software. Same for the newsprogram. This should have been a lot more believeable.

The acting isn't very good either. To be honest is very bad. With two exceptions. The main actors steal the show. Vladimir Maksic as the killer Michael Cosnick and the brilliant Ulli Lommel as Simon Vale who also directed the movie. The last one is really fantastic. He should act more because he does it really good and I really enjoyed it. He also provides the voice over and that is great too and very creepy.

But what's really special is the story. I expected that this would be more like The Zodiac from David Fincer. So a movie about the Zodiac Killer himself. But I was pleasently surprised. It was about a boy that was fascinated by the notorious sterial killer and start his own killing spree. This was very well done. It was also very interesting to see Ulli working on his book. Make it feel a bit like a documentary, but also how he kept in touch with Maksic. Intriguing. The ending is fantastic and I really didn't saw the twist coming. I'm also curious about Die Zärtlichkeit der Wölfe from Lommel. Looked like a exciting movie and Simon Vale used it in a very interesting way to use this killer in his new book.

So even though there are a lot of negative points, the story, the excellent play from Maksic and especially Lommel and the way of filming maked it a fascinating movie.

---

BTK Killer
Dennis Rader is a real family man, a loyal member of the church and a respected member of the society. Nobody knows that his is a sick, twisted serial killer who binds (B), torture (T) en kills (K) his vicitms.

After the fascinating Zodiac Killer I looked forward to this movie. And I didn't like it at all.

It started so good. The movie started (and ended) with a woman who lies naked on the floor of a dark cellar. Her hands are tied behind her back and she is tortured. A bag is pulled over her head, eyes are being cut from animals and put on her, the head of a pig between her legs and a dog is let go on her. Candles are used and a nipple is being cut from her breast. Gruesome images and because the way they shot, really uncomfortable to watch. Exactly the thing you would expect from a movie about a killer who binds, tortures and kills his victims. During the rest of the movie, these images come back in short flashes, accompanied with the events in a slaughter house. Not nice to look at, but it really hits the spot.

But in the main part of the movie, this short flashes are the background of terribly bad "real" murders. They are so dumb and uninteresting. A rat in a mouth, a scorpion in a mouth, something with mince or whatever. The horrible atmosphere from the beginning never comes back. The killings also take up to much time and the acting doesn't help either. The killer is a dumb piece of s***, way over the top and very annoying, instead of dangerous. The movie lost every form of tension that build up in the beginning. The girls that gets killed aren't much better either. One even have a nice conversation with the killer while there is a chopped off head of a pig right next to her. Pff. Only the killer in the present time is good, but that's another actor then the one that portrayed the BTK Killer in the past. Danielly Petty is a gorgeous woman to look at and her storyline showed some potential. But they didn't give her any attention. Instead, they decide to show the boring killings for a long time. And why repeat some aspects of the killings. The killer said something, and the repeat that a couple of times while the screen turns 90 degrees. Unnecessairy and the whole uncomfortable feeling from the start of the movie never returns. Such a disappointment to see such uninspired murders. Such a shame.

The story also leaves to much things open or doesn't do anything with certain storylines, also compared to the reality. They never mention that the real killer left letters behind with his victims. You would expect that they would at least mention it. The same with the ending. They never say how they managed to catch Dennis Rader. He supposed to make a mistake, but in this movie it isn't mentioned what this mistake is. The church isn't credible either and I can't imagine that a priest would wear a leather jacket. This in comparison to Ulli Lommel's small part as a priest. Als the church itself looks bad. Same for the policestation. Come on.

In the end, all that remains is a very disappointing movie. If they could have pulled the atmosphere from the beginning through to the rest of the movie, it would have been terrible to watch. In a positive way. Too bad.

---

Green River Killer
Loving father and husband Gary Ridgeway is in reality an active serial killer who abducted many woman, killed them, and dumped them on the shores of the Green River. This gives him the name, the Green River Killer.

After BTK Killer I began to worry. This movie is also about the life of the killer. But if Ulli Lommel shows al his killings in the same boring way as in BTK Killer, I feared the worst.

But this was a very good movie. With an incomprehensible 1,7 on imdb. The movie uses images and audio from the real Gary Ridgeway interchanged with reconstructions. This is very interesting and exciting, cause it really gives you a look in the mind of the killer. Just as in Zodiac Killer, the way they filmed it adds to the realistic feeling and makes it feel like a documentairy. The killings Gary Ridgeway commit are cold and intense, thanks to the way they film it and the close ups. I also like the way the showed the moment Gary decide to kill someone. During this switch, you see double images flowing over in one another. This gives you a crazy feeling, just like Gary. On the other hand. The scenes in the forest looks great. Really wanted to visit it sometimes. The dreams of Gary are terrible. You see something that looks like an autopsy and someones face is pulled over his skull. Horrible pictures, but very effective.

I have to say that the ending was excellent. Gary tells why he confessed and what is his greatest fears (which connects to his dreams). And also what happens to his son (even though the real Gary has one son that isn't named Kevin. Very interesting, but I wonder how the real son of Gary thinks of this movie.

This movie also has the best acting of the three. The killer is very credible and even looks something like the real Gary Ridgeway. I tought he was great. Especially with the suspenders, really looked threatning. He only disappoints during the interrogations of the police and his wife. It's so silly that you wonder why they didn't catch him earlier. Even his colleagues saw him and called him a killer. The rest of the cast is good too and the females are nice on the eyes but never stupid or annoying. I only hated the two dumd colleagues and the annoying son Kevin. Kevin sits on the toilet with a blanket over him while shining with a flashlight. Why? So stupid. But it does connect to the ending of the movie.

I also want to compliment the music. Very creepy, but also nice to listen to. It adds to the realistich atmosphere the movie wants to show. It just makes it a good movie and I don't understand all the negativity, especially the 1,7 on imdb.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:57 pm

A lot of weeks behind again:

American Psycho
Patrick Bateman is a smooth businessman on Wall Street that has everthing he wants and does everything to keep his appearance in fantastic shape. But nobody can suspect that behind this all, he is a cold, heartless serial killer that murder people for his own pleasure.

After the serial killer movies from Ulli Lommel, I wanted to continue killing. This time with the American Psycho movies. I've seen this one before, but it is still a very good movie.

What makes this movie so good, is Christian Bale. He is excellent as the psychopatic killer Patrick Bateman. Especially his discussion about the music from Genesis/Phil Collins (among others) were fantstic. Great dialogs. He is really cool and he has some brilliant scenes. Of course the murder scenes (with the chainsaw in the staircase). But also how he wanted to feed a cat to an ATM machine. "Feed me a stray cat." :lol: But the part of Dafoe is great too, but he should have had more scenes. The rest from the cast is good too. Especially since most of them don't really care what happend in the world. They are only concerned with themselves. This makes the scene with the business cards so much better.

What I did found weird, is that the movie didn't feel like a movie that takes place in the eighties. Only when Reagan appears on tv, I realise that the movie takes place in a different time then I expected.

What I especially like about this movie is the mindfuck at the end. Is he just crazy? Did he imagined everything? Or is everything taken care for him? What ruined it a bit for me is that the makers of the movie told what is really going on. If they would have just let it open for the interpretation of the viewers themselves. I'm sure that I would think about the movie for a few days, thinking about what was real. Now, all the things that are unclear are been spoiled. Too bad. But apart from that, it is just a very good movie with a brilliant Bale.

---

American Psycho II: All American Girl
Rachael Newman is the only one who managed to get away from serial killer Patrick Bateman. This starts her fascination with murders. Rachael started her study and wants to be the assistent of ex-FBI agent Bobby Starkman. A job as an assistent is a almost garantuee to get a job at the FBI, the dream of Rachael. But she is not the only one who wants the job, a job to die for.

In my opinion, they only used the title American Psycho II in the hope to gain fans from the original from 2000. The only other reference to the first movie was the first scene with Bateman and Newman. The whole scene is bad and I even feels that it hurts the original. Het doesn't do the ubercool Bale as Bateman justice.

The story is of course predictable (unfortunately no mindfuck) and even the "twist" is nothing more then mandatory (cool though) and because of that very predictable. The murders are oke, but not very creative. The ending is more interesting though (the toll guard).

But still, I enjoyed it. And only because one thing. Mila Kunis as Rachael Newman. Without her, this movie wouldn't have been as fun because you don't care about the other characters. She is good though and after her great role in That 70's Show, she can't do anything wrong in my book. The rest of the case is oke at best. Only Geraint Wyn Davies was gooed. Why they choose for Shatner is a mystery to me. I don't understand why he is in this movie and I would have loved to see someone else.

Thanks to Kunis I thought this movie was entertaining. But it could have been a lot better and the movietitle does create some sort of expectation. But they never meet.

---

Gargantua
Marinebiologist Jack Ellway and his son Brandon move to the island Malau to study the effect of recent earthquakes on the deepsee life. But there is more going on on the island. People die in strange ways and there is a giant danger waiting for them.

What a bad movie. I was warned by Veronica Magazine (a tv guide) that gave it one star. But I still wanted to be the judge myself. Why didn't I listen.

I can't say much postives about this movie. After the fantastic (and way to quickly cancelled serie) The Inside and The X-Files, I see Adam Baldwin at his best as a tough special agent or someone in the military. But why is he in this movie? I have no idea. He really doesn't fit in it as the boring scientist Jack Ellway. The rest of the cast is uninteresting, the army stupid and the characters are unsympathetic in general. The family story and the romantic story isn't interesting at all. I also don't understand the reacting from the people who lived on the island in some situations. I also don't understand the army and the scientists. So basically, I don't understand any of it.

But it's a monstermovie. So how are the monsters and the kills? Unfortunately not much better. The special effects are really, really bad. Of course they didn't have millions of dollars. But a movie like Isolations shows that you don't have to show the monster up close to make an exciting movie. Unfortunately the movie takes itself way to serious so we have to see the monster in it's gigantic form of uglyness and bad kills as a result. It looked like toy dinosaurs (if it wasn't a toy dinosaur) and there weren't enough victims. The ending is moralistic, dramatic and annoying but thankfully you have forgotten it as soon as the credits start.

Nothing to add. A very bad movie that isn't even hilariously bad. It takes itself way too serious for that.

---

The Pursuit of Happyness
Christopher Gardner sells a revolutionair medical device. He hopes to build a good future for himself and his family with this. Even though the special abilities of the device, nobody wants it. Christopher gets left behint with a huge stock of these devices, no money, many debts, he lost his wive, everything he owns and a roof over his head. Because of this he lives on the streets with his son. In a desperate move, he applies for a job in stockbrokers company. But this is an unpaid internship with a unsure future.

I though this was a beatiful movie but with some problems. The first problem is then length of the movie. It goes on too long and because of this, it repeats itself. His scanner has been stolen several times and he and his son gets thrown out of there houses a couple of times. There were also some holes and things that are hard to believe in the story. Of course it is based on the real story of Christopher Gardner so some stuff are probably true, but some things are just to hard to believe. Example, where does he leaves his son during his work on the stock market? And why does all the landlords take so long to evict him? And why is Gardner so egocentric in not taking a normal job, instead of letting his son go through all this while he is chasing his dream very stubborn. Just make sure you have enough money and then go after the job of your dreams. While he have it now, but against which price? Lots of misery and drama for him and his kid, no money at all and losing your wive. Was it worth it?

Now, this sound all very negative, but it still was a beautiful movie. Mostly thanks to the great acting of Will Smith and his son, Jaden Smith (yes, Will Smith's real life son). They, and especially Jaden shine of the screen and manage to disguise the holes and stuff and even make it credible. Thanks to the real father/son chemistry. It is also nice (well... nice) to see how Christopher loses everything, but still keeps hoping for a better future. How stubborn and stupid it is. Maybe the biggest scene is with Christopher in the toilet where they stay for the night. He tries to keep strong for his son, but he is a total wreck. Very well acted, from both actors. Also when Jaden loses his toy doll. Very strong. I did find it a shame that after so much drama, only a very small part looks at his happiness. More time would be nice.

Of course the movie is predictable and the title gives much away. It is logic. There aren't many stories interesting to make a movie about, when it doesn't end well with the main character. You would never hear about those stories.

So even though there are some problems, it was a beautiful movie. Especially thanks to great acting from Will Smith and his son Jaden. Add nice music from Andrea Guerra and you have a beautiful movie, about a beautiful story that sometimes is hard to believe.
---

More to come soon...

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 am

My Bloody Valentine
10 years after a terrible slaughter in a mine on Valentine's Day, Tom returns to his home town. But his return starts a new spree of murdersand Tom is suspect number 1.

I was very skeptical when going to this movie. It was a 3D movie and I'm normally not a fan of this stuff. Sure, the effect is fun (even though it's more like a gimmick). But you only see two colors. Red and green. Fun for a short movie like in an Dutch amusement park called the Efteling or a short like Shrek 3D. But this was a full length movie and I was very afraid that it would annoy me. But after the positive sounds from two members of another forum and the assurence from my little sister that it's not just two colors and that the effects are really cool, I decided to experience it for my own.

First I was pleasantly surprised when I got the glasses at the entrance of the theater. The two glasses had the same color. This made me even more curious. Would the effect work well? When the movie started, I needed to pick up my jaw from the ground. I didn't expected this. The colours were normal and natural, but the 3D effect was awesome and it worked excellent.Of course there were some brilliant stuff in it that was made with 3D in mind and it worked really, really well. So I think this would work the best with horror or action movies. But there are also some amazing subtle effects. Like the scene in the hospital. We see a closeup of an eye from a patient in 3D. Very subtile but very effective. I wouldn't mind seeing more of this. And not only in horror or action movies (even though it would work the best in those genres). In the near future we will see Coraline (unfortunately only in Dutch)
, Ice Age 3 and Final Destination 4 in 3D. An awesome technic that really adds to the movie.

Oh right. The movie.

I thought it was very good. There were some gruesome scenes in that were fantastic. The gore was very tasty and there were some creative kills (shovel). There is even a very nice wink to the eyeball scene from Lucio Fulci's Zombi 2. All very tasty and the 3D effect only makes it that much better. But the tension is very high too. They take their time to build everything up and get to know the characters. Still it is filled with cliches and the kills are predictable. The characters are stereotypical stupid, but it's a slasher. The twist was very cool even though I had my doubts from the beginning of the movie. I wasn't 100% sure, but I had my suspisions. The movie ended great, just how a horror movie should end.

The actors are very good too. Jensen Ackles is on familiar ground (Supernatural) and is always fun too watch. Kerr Smith is also very good and thanks too the great acting, I wasn't sure about the twist till the very end. The female potential victims are good too and I even was sad when one died. Onfortunately, some of the villagers are unsympathetic by pointing fingers without any evidence. I hate it when they do this in movie and series.

Oh well, I can go on for a while. A great movie that only gets better thanks to the 3d effect. The negative points I mentioned, I have already forgotten.

---

The Descent
One year after a tragic accident, a group of friends come together for an exciting and adventurous holiday in caves. But this holiday turns into a nightmare when a part of the cave collapsed and they meet the real inhabitants of the cave. What follows is a battle for survival.

I heard a lot of positive sounds for this movie. Especially that it was a frightning movie. Unfortunately I didn't thought it was scary, but it was very good and I was on the edge of my seat.

What I especially liked, was that the story is build up nice and slow. We see the tragic events that preceeded the holiday, the reunion with her friends, a nice part of the holiday, the way down the caves and the exploration of the gorgeous caves. After that, all hell breaks loose. So enough time too feel for the characters and to get to know them. In the caves, the tension is build up really nice and slowly you begin to realise that something is terribly wrong. What follows is an intens and oppressive (???) horrormovie with a lot of tension.

The ending was brilliant, well the ending I get to see. Appearently it had to end well in America to leave the movie with a nice feeling. And guess what. A sequel is coming, continuing from the American ending. A big shame because this ending I saw on the DVD is perfect and a sequel is not necessary at all. I also didn't like that Sarah turns to Juno. Didn't understand why and it was unnecessary. It was just an accident.

But other then that, nothing else to complain. The movie is exciting with a lot of tension and the location really adds to it. Small, narrow, claustrophobic. A perfect setting for a horror movie. The lighting is great too. Flames and glowstick, perfect. The monsters look great too and more important, very credible. I was afraid that it would hurt the tension because you see the monster very early, very clear. But it worked perfectly and they were pretty scary.

Acting was great too. I'm glad they used less known actress'. It helped the credibility of the movie and it really made it feel like your just watching a group of girls enjoying there holiday. Only Shauna Macdonald gets a bit annoying uncomprihensible at the end. But that's more to blame to the story then the acting. Especially in the hospital, she is strong. Natalie Jackson Mendoza is fantastic as Juno. Very strong, but also very cool.

So in short. A great movie with good acting, a good story, perfect ending and a fantastic atmosphere. Not really scary, but the tension is very high and very believeable.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Thu May 21, 2009 6:19 pm

And weeks turn into months :sad::

Strange Planet
We follow three women and three men for a year in their search for love and compassion. But their problems and character make this a difficult search.

I only had one reason for watching this movie. Naomi Watts. This movie is from before she breaked through with The Ring and Mulholland Drive. I was very curious because she have never disappointed me before.

Unfortunately, the movie is only half good. We follow three men and three women. And the part with the man isn't as interesting as the part with the women. Of course it is predictable and you know the six are meant for eacht other and even the pairings are easy to make. So no surprises there. But still, the part with the ladies was way more interesting the the part with the men. I was always happy when they switched back to the ladies. It was all so much fun, entertaining and sparkling, till we go back to the pretty boring men. It is also a shame that some months go by way to fast. Especially in the end, the movie could have used more accidental meetings between the six. In different pairings. The ending between some characters is just a bit too random. One is married a few months before the end. The could have done this a lot better and spread it over the months more. I did like the reference to the Twilight Zone episode. Looked very interesting.

But what makes the ladies beter then the men? The excellent, fun, sparkling and fresh acting. Watts is cleary the better of the three, but the others are good too. Unfortunately, Watts did get the least time of the three ladies. But the three together was very enjoyable and it really felt like watching a small group a friends. The three men are oke, but it is difficult to get into there stories. Especially since the ladies are so good. Only the scenes in the cab were very good. But that is more thanks to his customers then the driver. There is a fun supporting act from Hugo Weaving.

The music that has been used are mostly the more well known commercial songs, but it sounds really nice and fits the story and the images great. It all looks great too. Especially the final scenes in the cabin. I would love to go on a holiday there.

So I enjoyed this movie. The part with the ladies that is.

---

Anonymous Rex
65 million years ago, a meteorite brought the extinction of the dinosaurs? Or didn't it? 1 in 10.000 people is a dinosaur who took over the human form so they can live quietly among them. This is not without problems though. When a human find out what's really going on, he has to be terminated. Two of these dinosaurs are Velocirapter Vincent Rubio and Triceratops Ernie Watson. They are private detectives and are being hired by Ernie's ex to investigate the suicide of her little brother. During their investigation, the encouter a secret cult called “Voice of Progress”. They want the dinosaurs to crawl out of hiding and claim the earth again. Does this cult have something to do with the suicide?

After reading the plot, I had to see the movie. It sounded so bad, and it was... it really was. The story is just ridiculous. It is based on a book, so in which way it stayed loyal to it, I don't know. Fans of the book would probably got something fun out of it. I couldn't.

The story contradicts itself a lot. In the beginning a small boy see Vincent in his dinosaur form. But eliminate the kid, no. But when a grown-up sees him, he is a goner. And they are detectives, aren't they supposed to fight evil? And are humans really that stupid that they can't see the difference between a dinosaur and a kid in a costume? And the movie wants to do too much. Apart from the dinosaurs stuff, it wants to be a detecive story, a love story and the story about Ernie's daughter who is not who everyone taught she was. That contradicts the story too. But none of it is done well or interesting. The ending is foolish and a anti climactic. It feels like they wanted it to make the first part in a (movie)serie.

Acting it's not much eiter. Sam Trammell is good and got something interesting. The endig is cool, but something they should have used the entire movie. That he is torn, it should have helped the movie. The rest of the cast is a lot less. Especially Baldwin is bad. What Isaac Hayes and Faye Dunaway do in this movie is a complete mystery too me.

The special effects and the dinosaurs look bad too. Only the end fight with the Triceratops was nice. But the Triceratops is my favorite dinosaur. Music sounds nice too.

I didn't know what to do with the movie and didn't like it.

---

Guess Who
Theresa and Simon are in love. Together they go the the renewal of Theresa's parents wedding vows. They want to use the occasion to announce their engagement. What her parents don't know, is that Simon is white. Simon has a secret too. He quits his job. And eventually the tension reaches it's peak and the future of both couples are at stake.

I have to admit that I watched this movie under false pretense. I saw a commercial which was misleading. It made me believe that the Theresa didn't know that Simon was black under the saying "love makes blind". But in reality, this scene was totally different and made a completly different movie. A bad commercial.

The movie itself is ok. The beginning is fun, but predictable. The secret comes out and all hell breaks loose. Normally I'm ok with this. The beginning and ending is fun. Kutcher is on a role but don't go over the top. Bernie Mac is good too and have some funny scenes with Kutcher, but also some sensitive scenes. Zoe Saldana is very nice to watch as Kutchers wife to be and the jokes are fun. But there is a very lon part of the movie that is truly annoying. From when the secret comes out till the scene at the train station (probably the best scene of the movie). I just couldn't enjoy that part of the movie. The misunderstanding of Zoe, the terribly annoying family side of the family and her friend group and it's not funny at all. It just was boring. Of course it ended very sweet and predicatble, but is is of course a basic romcom.

So apart from the terrible part of the movie, it was oke. Thankfully Mac and Kutcher are part of the movie. Otherwise there would be no reason to watch the movie. Now it's oke.
---
More too come soon, I promise :wink:.

shany
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby shany » Fri May 22, 2009 10:20 am

Anonymous Rex-
I actually read the book, but never saw the movie. The book has two sequels so maybe they were thinking of adapting them too?
I can understand how the movie is bad, the book's premise sounds like it will be ridiculous as a movie.

The book itself was a fun read.My only problem with it book was that near the end some plot twists began to repeat themselves:
The detective is found out! No, he got away somehow. That human is actually a dinosaur. That dinosaur is actually a human, etc.
Last edited by shany on Fri May 22, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri May 22, 2009 10:29 am

According to wikipedia it is based on the novel Casual Rex. On wikipedia they got a list with differences between the book and the movie. Some contradictions I pointed out in my review are done better in the book. Maybe I will track the book down. All though it will be difficult since I doubt the book would have been translated to Dutch and English books are pretty scarce to find.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri May 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Inventor Wallace and his dog Gromit, run a succesful security company. The village is under the attack from a group of hungry rabbits that eat all there vegetables. They do this at a very bad time, cause the annual Gaint Vegetable Competition is about to start. When Wallace wants to converse a group of rabbits he captured, things go horribly wrong and the competition is in danger.

After playing the PC adventure Wallace & Gromit: Fright of the Bumblebees I was very curious to the movies from the famous duo. So when I saw this movie for only five Euro's (around 7 Dollars), I didn't doubt for a second.

And it was fantastic. First of all, it looks absolutely amazing. The stop motion animation technic is fantastic and the bring so much detail en feelings in it, that after a few minutes I didn't even notice I was watching clay dolls. It all looked so pretty and enchanting, I couldn't keep my eyes of it. What CGI? what computer animation? This is much better. Thanks to the making ofs, I only have more respect for the makers. There is so much work and time in it, but it cleary shows. The music is from the same high caliber. Fantastic to listen to and together an wonderful combination. I had goose bumps when the famous Wallace and Gromit theme songs was played.

But enough about the technical field. This movie is just very funny. From the many bizar inventions from Wallace to the sarcastic faces from Gromit. But there are also a lot of whinks to other movies (which is fantastic). It's just great, funny and in the end it gets pretty exciting too. The voice acting is fantastic too. Peter Sallis just is Wallace, but the person who did the Telltale Games adventure was excellent too. Maybe even better. There are also prefect extra voices from Ralph Fiennes and Helena Bonham Carter.

Wallace & Gromit have gained another fan. Everything was just great about this movie. Wonderful. It maked playing Wallace & Gromit: Fright of the Bumblebees even more fun. In my review I expected that I missed some things because I haven't seen anything from Wallace & Gromit before. After the movie and the great making of on the dvd, I saw a lot of great stuff that also returned in the game. Very fun. I enjoyed the movie a lot and want to see the other shorts too.

---

Breathing Room
Tonya awakes naked in a dark, desolate room. When she exits, she gets to know that together with 13 strangers she is part of a deadly game. When the lights go out, someone dies and a new clue is given. Someone of the group is the killer, but who?

I love the "There's a killer amongst them" movies. That and the attractive cover made me decide to buy the movie. And I didn't regret it.

The fun thing about these kind of movies is that you don't know who the killer is and that you have to try and guess who it is. This is well done in this movie. Of course there is the mandatory twists, but it's all well done and the tension is pretty high. Still, I got my suspisions from the beginning and you know who will remain, but I still had my doubts so the ending still was a surprise (and very cool). That there wasn't any explantion isn't important. It is fun that there are some things to guess. Some things of the story are a bit to hard to believe. Like when they try something one at a time behind the camera. Like the game leader wouldn't notice that. Right.

Acting is ok. There are some terrible characters. Unsympathetic, not interesting and kinda stupid. So terrible that your glad when they die. Thankfully there are some good characters (especially the important ones). too bad that there are some characters that are potentially interesting, but just don't get enough time.

Even though the movie takes place in one location, it never gets dull or annoying. It makes is pretty tense. I enjoyed it, apart from some minor points. Now that the ending is known, more reason to watch the movie again.

---

Dead Like Me: Life After Death
After Rube Sofer had left, the reapers have to work with a new leader named Cameron. This cold business man works very different and don't care about his employees. With chaos as a result that have consequences for everyone.

I'm a fan of the serie Dead Like Me. I thought it was a shame that it ended after two seasons. I was happy with the announcement of a movie. When Comedy Central broadcasted it, I was thrilled. After watching it, I was just very disappointed.

The movie never even comes close to the level of the serie and sometimes it even gets annoying. There are four reasons for that:
- The lack of Mandy Patinkin as Rube Sofer.
- The addition of Henry Ian Cusick as his follow up.
- The meeting between Reggie and George.
- Sarah Wynter that replaces Laura Harris as Daisy Adair.

This really hurts the movie. Now Patinkin is gone (together with the Waffle House) you notice how important his part was. His replacement Cusick is a good actor (from Lost), but he is no Rube. His new approach brings a lot of problems (that aren't fun) and makes the other reapers act very different. This is very annoying because they are so different than in the serie. At one point I wondered who the characters are. They have the same name, they look the same (apart from Daisy), but they are so out-of-character, that it doens't make the movie fun. With a ridiculous ending as restult.

An other terrible mistake is that Reggie and George meet and Reggie discovers that George is a reaper. They should have NEVER done that. The second season ends perfectly with only suggestion. Reggie suspects something, but she would never no for sure. Till the ruin it in the movie. Stupid, stupid move.

There are some things that stayed the same. The music is great and a lot of familiar faces return, for example at Happy Time. Apart from the reapers, they are good and familiar. Especially Reggie and her mom are the same as in the serie. Very good. Unfortunately no Rube, but we covered that point. Another huge loss is Laura Harris as Daisy Adair. She is replaced by Sarah Wynter. She is ok, but never lays any depth in her character. Something Harris did excellent. A simple look was enough for her to tell a huge story. I really missed her in the movie, but I'm afraid that she couldn't do much better with the story. But I really missed her.

Some scenes aside, it just doesn't feel like Dead Like Me. How would I have seen the movie? Simple. With Mandy as Rube, Harris as Daisy and instead of seperate episodes, one giant job where everyone is involved. Just a long episode with a bigger budget. Not this. Unfortunately a huge disappointment.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri May 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Ultraviolet
A sickness called Hemophagia genetically altered almost the entire human race. They become stronger, faster, more intelligent and looks a lot like vampires. The people that remain untouched decide to put them in camps and slowly exterminate them. A war breaks out between the two groups. Violet, a Hemophagia, is the frontline and wants revenge. This isn't as easy as she would expect when she steals a mysterious briefcase.

Kurt Wimmer made with Equilibrium a great action spectacle with a lot of depth. Four year later, he made Ultraviolet. But this one disappoints.

On the spectacle side, there's nothing wrong with this movie. The action is fantastic and looks great, with a fast pace and lots of fun special effects and futuristic stuff. For example the driving scene on a motorcycle that forgets the gravity. Very cool. The fights looks great too. So on that aspect, there's nothing wrong with this movie.

Unfortunately story wise, the movie is not so good.Equilibrium had great action- but also a great story. But in this movie, it seems like there is only action. And while there is so much potention in the story. This is not the version as Kurt Wimmer intended. The studio did a lot of editing and many scenes didn't make the cut. A shame because I know that the movie would have been a lot better when they just let the director tell his story.

Acting is ok. The movie is made with Mila Jovovich in mind. And that shows because she is very good and always a pleasure to watch. Especially in the nice outfits she wears in this movie. The rest of the cast isn't that memorable. Only William Fichtner raises above the rest, too bad his part is so short. The bad guy is dumb. I think it's that nose thing he's wearing. Everytime I saw him, I was looking at his nose. That can't be the meaning of it.

Thanks to the action and Jovovich it is an entertaining movie. But it could have been so much more. Especially story wise.

---

Equilibrium
After WOIII, a new government rule the world. To prevent wars, murders and violence, everything that can evoke emotions are forbidden. A strict police force sees to it that all books, paintings and music pieces are being destroyed and that the people that show emotions, the Sense Offenders, are arrested and brought to justice. John Preston is one of those agents. But when John begins to doubt the system, he brings his life in serious danger.

Because Ultraviolet was a bit of a letdown, I decided to watch Equilibrium again. And it was great.

The action is just so awesome. The fights are cool it looks fantastic. The pace is nice and it just looks so damn good. It's just a huge spectacle and especially the end fight is fantastic.

This is mostly thanks to Bale who is prefect for this part. He is very good and it is interesting to see how he slowly gets his feeling back and starts to think. This doesn't mean that Sean Bean doesn't blow him of the screen. Too bad it isn't a big part. Other great parts are Taye Diggs, William Fichtner and the very creepy son of Bale. That kid is really frightning.

The story is very captivating and realy made me think about how the world and life would be without music, movies, art and books. This is very well done here. The only problem I got was that because of this, I was constantly thinking: "Doesn't he feel emotion?" "He smiles, isn't that emotion?" "Bale is cleary emotional, why doesn't he get arrested on the spot?" It contradicts the story. And which emotions are allowed? Contempt, envy, revenge, jealousy. Appearently those emotions are allowed.

Even though that stays in the way for me to enjoy the story to the fullest, it just remains a great movie with awesome action and fights, great acting and a captivating story.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Sat May 23, 2009 7:24 pm

De Lift
In a large office building some deadly incidents occur that all seems to have to do with the elevators. Elevator mechanic Felix Adelaar is send out to investigate. But what appears to be a routine job, changes in a nightmare where, together with reporter Mieke de Beer, gets into.

I wanted to see Down again, but before that could happen, I needed to see the Dutch original. Was a long time ago since I last watched it, and I would have some comparison.

I thought is still was a very good movie. There are some very memorable scenes in it. The gore is good, especially for its time. Nowdays they are too fake and more funny. The kills are great and creative and I laughed out loud a few times. Especially because the acting goes over the top a few times. Like the scene with the little girl. She just get a slap for destroying her doll. Or with the death of the guard. The scene in which the wife of Felix suspects him of adultery is ridiculous. But that's to blame to the script. Still, in the end, the tension is pretty high and the elevator feels really threatning. The story is explained well too by the professor and it is great that Stapel and van Ammelrooy really goes out there to investigate. The ending is perfect. With the boss of the company that goes to the lift to finish his work, but still show remorse.

The acting is good. I needed to see past the Dutch language, but Huub Stapel and Willeke van Ammelrooy are very good. What was van Ammelrooy a gorgeous woman. Too bad that she got cancer. I was shocked when I saw her on tv some time ago. The rest of the cast isn't that memorable. It's fun to see some familiar faces (like a almost unrecognizable Piet Römer and Serge-Henri Valcke with hair) but the acting is to much over the top and feels fak. But thankfully we'll see enough of Stapel and Van Ammelrooy. Also a fun part from Peer Mascini as the professor.

By the way, complimentes to Maas for the music. He made it himself, and it sounds fantastic and really fits the movie. Reminded me of what John Carpenter did with the original Assault on Precinct 13. Very well done, because it makes the move very tense at the important moments.

So even though I had to get used to the Dutch language and the over the top and fake acting, I really enjoyed the movie. Acting from Stapel and Van Ammelrooy was very good, the music great and the gets pretty exciting in the end with some fun kills.

---

Down
The elavators in the Millennium Building go out of control when struck by lightning. Elevator mechanics Mark and Jeffrey investigate, but can't find anything wrong. Still, more people die under strange circumstances. Mark decides to investigate further and gets help from reporter Jennifer Evans.

Dick Maas made the American remake of his horror movie De Life himself, but with a much bigger budget. Not that that makes a good movie.

The big problem I have with this movie, is that it's all so Amercan. It's bigger, louder and so over the top that it gets annoying. It is all so different from the original that it doesn't make sense anymore. Of course, all the famous scenes are back. The blind man (who takes his dog with him), the little girl that's playing in the hall, the guard who gets stuck and even the scene in which Mark (Felix in the original) grab his face with his own hand. They all return and that's a lot of fun.

But otherwise, the story is so much different. They hardly investigate things, the creator of the computer chips for the elevator is a bad guy and part of the elevator company itself (instead of a seperate company) and the ending is just ridiculous. In the original, the creator had remorse. Here, it's a typical American bad guy. And where in the original it was just Felix and Mieke, here it's a army loaded with weapons. Eventually, Mark beats the elevator with a Stinger rocket in the shaft and managed to survive. Come on. That just doesn't make any sense at all. And the tension is gone with it. It's just stupid.

And the characters are unsympathetic too. You don't care about them and even the blind guy is an asshole. The acting is average at best. The only one who is good, is Naomi Watts (who looked irrisistible with her wet hair). But she didn't get enough time. Especially in comparison with Van Ammelrooy in the original. The rest of the cast is average. James Marshall, the main character is nothing. He does it so uninsprired, like he didn't care at all. In no way a Huub Stapel. It is fun to see some familiar faces, even though there part is small. There is Ron Perlman (Mark's boss), Dan Hedaya (very cool as inspector), Edward Herrmann (owner of the Millennium Building), Greg Shore (Greg Shapiro from the Dutch Comedy Central News as Chip, the collegue of Watts that investigate the story in a stupid manner), some Dutch faces and Michael Ironside as the big bad guy and the boss of the research department of the elevator company. But none of them convince.

The first time I watched this movie, I thought it was good. But now, almost four years later, I didn't like it that much. The movie looks bigger and more beautiful. But where is the tension? The story is stupid, the characters are unsympathetic and only Watts was good. The dialogs aren't good either. The word **** and variations on it, are used in a forced way. The kills ware fun though and great for fans from the original, but it doesn't even come close to the original, at all.
---

Alright, almost done with April (only one more movie to go and then it's on to May). What's coming up are only superhero/comic movies till now.

zilla
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby zilla » Mon May 25, 2009 2:03 am

Doesn't any1 watch comedies or light hearted movies anymore? I prefer those to the so called horror movies made today, like Freddie vs. Jason. I much rather watch a Disney cartoon movie. and am planning on taking 7 yr old grandson to see Night at the Museum 2. To me those are good movies (But give me a Godzilla movie any day, lol). I really dont like the modern horror movies made today, they are just too bloody for me, and hubby and I call them butcher movies. To us we go to the movies for entertainment and those are not entertainment. I guess we are just too old fashioned, I did go to see the DaVinci Code. I left after 1/2 hour because thought it was boring.
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Mon May 25, 2009 6:20 am

I also watch comedies or light hearted movies. Scroll a few posts up. Dead Like Me: Life After Death (very disappointing), Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (brilliant masterpiece, work of art), Guess Who (ok), Strange Planet (pretty good, ladies part great). But I just watch everything. My favorite genre is (and always has been) horrormovies. I can get a lot of entertainment out of that. Especially gory creative kills are very entertaining. But I still love a good scare. And that's just not really in more recent horrormovies. I guess the last one were some J-Horror. Still love horror though.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:03 pm

X-Men
In the near future, humans and mutants are in living in one world. But the mutants are being feared. Senator Robert Kelly wants to pull through a mutant registration system in which mutants have to reveal there identity and there powers. Mutant Professor Xavier wants that people and mutants live in peace and raised a special school for it. Magneto, a mutant that have survived a concentration camp, see many parallels and hates the humans because of it. Het sees only one option. Get rit of the humans. Xavier tries to stop him with the powerful mutants Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops and Jean Grey, before it's too late.

To prepare for Wolverine, the first X-Men movie went in. I've seen this one before and as a fan of the animation series, it remains a great superhero movie.

The story is well build up. It is mostly an introduction from all the characters (with Wolverine and Rogue in center). But it's all very well done with some very interesting scenes. Especially when you realise how many characters are shown. But with Bryan Singer on board (from The Usual Suspects) that's no surprise. There is also a lot of humor and it is a joy to recognize the many things the movie has to offer. The fights are great and their powers are used very well. It's cool to watch and the special effects are fantastic. The only thing I thought was less good, is that some are probably dead. It is never really confirmed, but I find it sad when mutants die.

The action is just very good. Almost every mutant seems to be born for their mutant counterpart. So many fantastic roles. McKellen is brilliant, Stewart is excellent (also great to see the respect between the two), Jackman just is Wolverine and I'm very glad that our Dutch pride, Famke Janssen, is fantastic as Jean Grey, same for our other dutch lady Rebecca Romijn as Mystique. Ray Park as Toad is great and appearantly they changed his character in the comics to Park's liking in the movie. Anna Paquin is super as Rogue, I was a bit surprised that I didn't have to get used to her age. Especially because I was used to her as a grown up in the animation serie. By the non mutants was Bruce Davison fantastic as Senator Kelly.

Too bad that some X-Men are missing. Especially the lack of Gambit and Beast is a shame. But this is just the first movie. Would be very crowded when everyone would just show up. Roles that are ok, but not as good as the others are James Marsden as Cyclops, Halle Berry as Storm and Tyler Mane as Sabretooth. For some reason, I just couldn't get into their parts. Maybe because they don't get enough time. Everytime I saw Storm, I saw Berry. That shouldn't happen, but it did. Sabretooth was more funny than threathning and I was never a big fan of Cyclops but his love/hate relationship with Wolverine brings some very funny scene's.

It is great to see some small mutants to be. Iceman, Pyro, Shadowcat and my favorite, Jubilee. Too bad it are just small shots (except Iceman). But you can't show all mutants at ones.

So in short, a great superhero movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

---

X2
After the events on the Statue of Liberty, everything appears to go back to normal again. Wolverine investigate his past, the young mutants are getting used to the school and Professor Xavier and Cyclops visit Magneto in prison. But that all changes when a mutant get into the White House and almost kills the president, Magneto escapes and the school gets under attack by William Stryker, a scientist that experiments on mutants. He captures some mutants and the X-Men do everything to stop Stryker.

I enjoyed this sequel a lot too. The action and the mutants are great again. In the first part it was mostly about the grown ups and Rogue, now the young ones come into play. Especially Iceman and Pyro (really cool) who play a big part. I was very happy to see Colossous but it's a shame that we hardly see Kitty Pryde and Jubilee. The last one had a great deleted scene, but unfortunatly it got deleted. But it is just great to see al the mutants again and how there powers are being used. Also fun stuff like Wolverine wanting a cold drink or encounters a cat.

There are some new mutants. Nightcrawler was fun, but my favorite was Lady Deathstrike. Her fight with Wolverine was absolutely fantastic. Especially because Kelly Hu clearly shows that she doesn't do this out of free will. I hated the ending because I would have loved to see more of her in a next installment.

The old cast is just a strong as in the first movie. But where I didn't like Halle Berry as Storm, I thought she was great now. Maybe because they gave her more attention or it was because of her shorter hair. I don't know, but I liked it this time. Of course the others are just great and most of them just are the mutants they portray. The only one I still didn't like was Cyclops. I don't know why, but it never was my favorite mutant and I couldn't get into his part in this movie either.

But other than that I enjoyed it a lot. A captivating story, lots of great action and wonderful fights, a nice sense of humor, great acting and fatastic mutants. I want more.

---

X-Men: The Last Stand
The discovery of a controversial drugs devide the mutant world. The drugs take away their powers and make them regular people. Some people like that idea and just want to live a normal life. Others doesn't want to know anything about it. Magneto even sees it as a threat from humanity to eliminate mutants entirely and go out for war. With lots of mutants and a very dangerous ally on his side. The X-Men try everything to stop him, before it's too late.

This is the third, but hopefully not the final part. I want more and looking at the ending, there just have to be a new installment. Lots of people were very negative about this movie. But I don't really know why. It's not perfect, but it is very good.

Naturally, there are some new mutants being introduced or they get more time in comparison to the first two movies. Kelsey Grammer is brilliant as Beast. He is great and I never had the feeling that I was watching Frasier. Ellen Page is very good as Kitty Pryde. It is also great too see more of Colossus. The bad guys also have some new ones. Vinnie Jones is cool as Juggernaut, but it takes some time getting used to him. In the animation serie he is hige, but now he is less impressive. He is cool though: "Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!". Eric Dane is also fantastic as Multiple Man. That face of his, wonderful.

Also the older cast returns. I can copy all the praise I gave from the earlier reviews. Some are born for there role and Ian McKellen steals the show again. Halle Berry is even better then in X2 (with even shorter hair which looks fantastic on her). Our Dutch pride Famke Janssen is brilliant. She is evil, but clearly shows that there is still good in her. The story also revolves around here and she handles that very well.

The CGI, the fights and the way the powers are shown, it looked great again. There are some fantastic scenes. Most memorable is the one in which Magneto uses the Golden Gate Bridge. Absolutely awesome. But also the fights with Grey look great and the showdown between Pyro and Iceman was fantastic. A true spectacle.

However, the movie is way too short (almost 30 minutes shorter than X2). Because of this, the story and some characters doesn't get enough attention. For example, there is the introduction of Angel (Archangel), but it isn't well worked out. He appears and diseappers. It's a real shame because they build him up really well, just to throw it away.

But what I find the worst part about the movie is that so many mutants died or lose their powers. I'm not happy with that because it is so difficult to see them back again and some are pretty important and were in the earlier movies. Thankfully the fantastic ending leaves a door open to the fourth part. I can't wait for that and in the meantime, we can look forward to the Origins serie.

So even though the many bad points of the movie, makes it the least of the three, it certainly isn't a bad movie. I thought it was pretty good, but it could have been so much better. Especially story wise.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 pm

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
This movie tells the history behind Wolverine. From the discovery and use of his special powers. Till the feud with his brother Victor Creed and William Stryker.

Wolverine always has been a favorite of mine. He was uber cool in the animation serie and Hugh Jackman was excellent as him in the three X-Men movies. Now it's time to tell his story from the beginning, and it certainly didn't disappoint.

The story is interesting. Especially because they really start at the beginning, but also how Wolverine wants to lead a normal life after many different wars (that are shown great in the intro of het movie). How he falls in love with Silverfox, but also how his past catches up with him. It's well done, but I still got a feeling that there could have been much more in the movie.

The movie feels rushed. The movie should have been longer. A lot things feels rushed and lots of mutants don't get enough attention. Take his old mutant army for example. You see them, they diseappear all of the sudden and some appear for a short while. While some of them are very interesting. The storyline with Scott Summers als comes out of nowhere and doesn't make sense. It could have easily been an other mutant. That the movie takes place at different times doesn't help either. If it was longer they could have invested more time in that. What is also strange is that the movie contradicts the first X-Men movie. Because why doesn't he recognize Sabretooth? It is fun to see how he got his jacket from the first X-Men movie and the ending is fun.

The acting is very good too. Like I said before, not every mutant gets enough time, but they are still good. We FINALLY get to see Gambit, but he appears in just a few scenes and they just feel unconnected to the movie. Like it's just thrown in there. But it feels fantastic to finally see him, besides Wolverine he is one of my favorites from the animation serie. Jackman just is Wolverine but Liev Schreiber steals the show. He is brilliant as Victor Creed/Sabretooth. Much, much better then the Sabretooth from the first movie. And not just because of his appearance, but he feels much more threathning. Many felt Will I Am annoying, I though he was good. His powers were cool, but he doesn't get enough time. Daniel Henney was great as Agent Zero and I also like Ryan Reynolds. From what I understand, his story in the movie is very different from the comics, but I thought it was interesting and would love to see more of it in the upcoming spin-off of Deadpool.

The fights are just fantastic. Lots of spectacle, cool action, a nice pace and the more emphasis on raw fights and special effects. Especially the fights between Wolverine and Sabretooth are awesome and the end fight is brilliant (I'm not going to spoiler anything).

So even though the movie got some problems (especially on story wise), I thought this was a good movie. I want too see more X-Men because I haven't got enough of them yet. Next up is probably X-Men Origins: Magneto or X-Men Origins: Deadpool. Can't wait.

---

The Incredibles
15 years ago, Metroville was protected by superhero's. But lots of law suits brought an end to this. The super hero's where forced to retire and the government would make sure they will remain anomynous. Bob Parr and his wife Helen are some of this superhero's. There children Violet and Dash also have special powers they need to control. But Bob keep dreaming back to his live as a super hero. When he loses his boring office job, he gets a top secret assignment from a mysterious person on a desolate island. What Bob doesn't know is that he has met this person before. Someone with nothing but evil intentions.

This is again a fantastic movie from Pixar. They didn't let me down and The Incredibles is no exception. The story is great and filled with humor. There were some very funny scenes. Especially in the way they use their powers. Some very funny situations. But the movie becomes exciting too. The actionscenes have a great pace so there's a lot to enjoy. The characters are great too. Pixar give them enough personality to feel for the characters. They make the story funny too. From the typical, but silly bad guy, the super fast son Dash, the shy daughter Violet, the baby Jack-Jack and even the stylist. They all bring a lof to fun, excitement and action. The ending is fantastic. I'm not going to spoiler anything, but I thought it was great.

The movie looks stunning too. Pixar equals top quality. It's brightly colored, detailled and looks just brilliant. The whole style might take some time to getting used too for some people. I loved it. The people look good. Not realistic, but that's not important in this movie. It looks perfect.

The music is fantastic too. What I especially liked was that the movie sounds like the one of a James Bond movie (a few locations reminded me to that). It sounds wonderful and fits the atmosphere perfect. The voices are awesome too. Pixar always chooses the best people to bring their characters too life. There are some familiar names (Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Jason Lee) but none of them are just in their because of their name. Even the ultra cool Samuel L. Jackson just fits in this movie. Open Season can learn a lot about this movie. Excellently done, but I expect that from Pixar.

I enjoyed this a lot again, but that's nothing new. To end with the exclamation of the little kid. "That was totally wicked!"

---

Jack-Jack Attack
Being a babysitter appears easy. Just looking how the kids are sleeping while you eat everything in the fridge and watch some tv. But it is a different movie when you have to babysit Jack-Jack, the baby of the Parr family.

Brilliant short from Pixar. I laught my ass off. Not only is the little Jack-Jack incredibly cute, his powers are awesome too and bring some hilarious situations.

This would fit in the movie seamlessly, but I'm glad that Pixar didn't do that. This way, the ending of the movie remains a big surprise and very cool and we gained a brilliant short with it.

Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Sneaker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Bolt
Bolt is a dog with superpowers. He uses this powers together with his boss Penny, to fight the evil Man with the Green Eye and his accomplice.But Bolt is the only one who doesn't know that he is the star of his own television serie. When Bolt escape the set to rescue his "kidnapped" boss, he discovered that he doesn't have any powers at all.

In Februari I went to Bolt in the cinema. A movie that was a complete surprise for me and one that I thought was fantastic. Now, three months later, the movie is released on dvd and is a instant buy for me. But I was curious if I would still find it a fantastic movie while the screen was smaller and the movie was still fresh. The answer is a enormous YES.

The surprise from the first time I watched the movie has of course disappeared, but everything I wrote in my first review still applies. So instead of repeating myself, I will keep it short. You can read my previous review here.

I just end this review with that it remains a fantastic movie I really enjoyed immensly. I can't think of anything negatives to say and I know that I will watch this movie many times in the future.

---

Super Rhino
Penny and Bolt have been captured by the evil Man with the Green Eye. With Bolt out of the picture, is there no one who can save them? Must the world surrender to his evil plans? No, there is only one who can fight the army of the Man with the Green Eye. And that is ... ... ... Super Rhino.

This short is great too. The same high quality as Bolt, but this time it's all about Rhino the hamster. The humor is super, the action is spectaculair and Super Rhuno is just awesome. The only thing that kind of hurts this short is the singing part at the end. A obvious, and in my opinion worthless, spoof on a concert registration from Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus. They shouldn't have done that and it's illogical too. They could have easily come up with something else. Maybe a wink to The Incredibles for example. I'm just saying.

But apart from that, this is a great short. I enjoyed it a lot. Rhino rules.

zilla
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby zilla » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:22 pm

LAND OF THE LOST............ While it is a cute movie and funny in parts. I found it to be a bit boring, I think the T-Rex (Grumpy) stole the movie from Will Ferrel and the rest of the cast. It is definately aimed at children but only followed the tv series in a very few parts, like the names of the characters, the theme song being sung half way thru the movie. If you like a movie to take your grandkids to see, this is one I will recommend with out to much trouble.

Return to “Movies & Television”