BloodRayne

Talk about anything related to Action, Action/Adventure and FPS games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

BloodRayne

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:34 am

Hawka has talked about this one before, but when I was at GOG checking out the free Tex Murphy offer, I noticed BloodRayne was $5.99. I downloaded and started playing a bit last night after bowling. I think I like it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Re: BloodRayne

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 am

I should give it a try again, I was having a hard time controlling her, I have the second one also.
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 pm

There are only a couple of things I don't like so far. One is not being able to invert the mouse. It's exactly opposite from what I'm used to for changing the up and down camera angle. I saw other complaints about the same thing on one of the BloodRayne forums. I was looking to see if there were any patches available. The other thing is not being able to save when "I" want not, not when the game decides I can. But otherwise, it's pretty fun. It's nice to not be a total weakling in the beginning!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:05 am

I've had the game since it came out for the Mac. I had thought that I would really like it: female protagonist, vampire, based on a comic book, but like Hawkavonpuka, I had trouble controlling her. Maybe my reflexes aren't good enough. I shelved the game and never tried it again.
Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:22 am

I agree that the controls leave a bit to be desired, but I kept at it and finally got used to them. Her dialogue is darned near worth sticking it out! She is one kick-ass half vampire!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:43 pm

How the heck did you get her to go where you wanted her to go. I managed the wire walking but when I got to the shed I couldn't get her to smash what was supposed to smash. I think I will reinstall and see what I was doing, I don't really remember.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

I remember having a terrible time with the same thing, but I don't remember what I did to finally get it to work!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I have it installed on the laptop with Vista and it seems to be working fine, except for me of course. I got to the cabin but for the life of me don't know how to rebound kick through the wall. I know it is jump + something, probably left mouse, maybe I am just not in the right spot, the weak spot. I think this is what happened the first time I tried it.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I loaded it and got to the cabin too. It said use Jump/Kick; release and do it again I think. It took several tries, but I finally did it once. It seems to be space/left click and then left click very quickly. Not sure. I'll have to try it again later. Must go watch the season finale of Damages right now...
Robert
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Robert » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:18 pm

draclvr wrote:Hawka has talked about this one before, but when I was at GOG checking out the free Tex Murphy offer, I noticed BloodRayne was $5.99. I downloaded and started playing a bit last night after bowling. I think I like it!

OMG, BloodRayne is AWESOME, Drac. I can't believe you've just now discovered her. I can't speak for the PC version, as I played both of them on console (PS2). I would imagine trying to control Rayne with mouse and keyboard would be pretty difficult. A gamepad would be best for this one, in my opinion.

When you're surrounded by too many enemies, use "Blood Rage". IIRC, It's that meter thingy in your HUD that glows purple when it's full. When you activate Blood Rage, Rayne goes totally balistic. She can kill enemies by the bushel as she literally slices them to pieces. It's a good way to get them off of you if you're over-whelmed. :)

Another thing about this game, it has one of the creepiest Cinematic Trailers I've ever seen. I found it on Youtube. It's one you don't want to miss.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJnRVIlE ... re=related

Are you scared? Don't wanna play anymore? Yikes!!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Yes, I just discovered it 6 months ago... And I ONLY use my gamepad for any game which will let me. I think my left hand is permanently attached.

Oh, yeah. All of the above! Blood Rage was probably the most fun power I've ever used in any game for the reasons you mention. And her comments along the way were damned near worth the price of admission alone. Plus, I have BloodRayne waiting in the wings when I have that stuff called time.
Robert
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Robert » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:07 pm

her comments along the way were damned near worth the price of admission alone

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. "Quiet darling, what will the neighbors think"?.....while she's gorging herself on his blood, lol. I thought all of her little sarcastic comments were hilarious. There's not as much of that in BloodRayne2, but it's still alot of fun, as there's a lot of new combat moves, and the enemy AI is a little better.

Just from a character standpoint, she's right up there with Lara Croft, imo.

Did you watch the video?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 pm

You bet... that video was one of the reasons I could no longer be denied the purchase of this game!

Return to “Action, Action/Adventure and FPS Discussions”