Amnesia The Dark Descent on Sale!

Talk about anything related to Action, Action/Adventure and FPS games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Re: Amnesia The Dark Descent on Sale!

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:27 pm

I tried for awhile and managed to get myself locked in, groan!! I sure hope I find lots of those tinder boxes, I wasted one in the beginning. The sound effects alone are making my hair stand on end and it was broad daylight. Maybe I should have picked up a package of Depends, just in case, hahaha. This is going to be interesting but I should be playing one of my neglected games, I feel guilty.

It says sometimes you have to run, what key is run, of course I could look in the manual. Jumping and flying things around reminds me of Vampire Bloodlines, I like that.

RB, it is not that kind of action since you don't have to kill anything, I wish I could though. I just started and had to go and do something else, I know, excuses, excuses. I think you could play it. If you want scary and things to kill, then Silent Hill is creepy, I still have two more of the series to go. I am too chicken for them right now. That one I had to have a grandson kill Pyramid Head, I was trapped with him in a stairwell, geez. I just watched that movie a couple of days ago, it was no where near as frightful as that game.

Try the Demo RB, see if you like it and you can make it work for you. The sale is on for the weekend I think.
What kind of magic spell to use?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 pm

Ok, I might just try the demo to see if this game is for me.

Do you get killed in this game?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:32 am

Hawka, "run" is the shift key. Just check your options and control menu. I did remap a couple of the keys on my CyberSnipa.

RB, if one of the monsters corners you, you will get killed. I did several times! But you get right back up and start again from where you got killed - the game isn't over. Although the story itself is pretty violent, there isn't any blood and you don't do any fighting. The whole game is about an atmosphere of pure terror. It's quite a large download - about 1 GB if I remember.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Die, I don't want to die, now I am getting chicken!! Download didn't take long for me, but then I am on cable. Do you know if you are allowed to put it on DVD? I was going to play last night but Cianni hogged the computer, I know, excuses, meanwhile I downloaded the demo on the laptop to see how it looks.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:21 pm

I dont know what your laptop is like, Hawka, but I bought a top of the range one, and even so the sound is rubbish. I cant even get any kind of volume in my games. I played a Spintop demo last night and just could not hear what was being said - Thank goodness for subtitles. I never had this problem with my old Sony Vaio - even played music at full blast on it, so I am guessing I must be doing something wrong but the slider on the master volume is at maximum.

I used to plug in external speakers but packed them away when the buiilding started. I think its time to unpack them today.
Boobie
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:36 pm

I think a lot of the speakers on laptops suck, my grandsons aren't bad, but his is one of those entertainment ones, granddaughters little netbook isn't that bad either. Mine are bad, one of those things you can't try in the store. But I always use headphones and the sound is fantastic with them. Guess that means the sound card is fine, just the speakers, sort of a tinny sound. Headphones are great when playing games, it really immerses you, and if you start to panic, just pull them off and you can't hear what almost got you. How do you adjust the sound on your laptop? Mine uses the FN key plus either the key with the pic of the volume getting louder, softer or mute.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 pm

Everything been packed away for so long, that I have completely forgotten about my Sony headphones duh!!

The trouble is, I like to hear whats going on around me here. If the dogs bark, then they bark for a reason and if I have headphones on, then obviusly I am not fully aware of whats going on inside and outside. Remember, I dont live in a civilised world like you do, Hawka.

But I like your suggestion, and I will also get my headphones out today, as well as my speakers. What's the betting that neither of these work, cos of the climate and not having used them for a whole year now???
Boobie
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:22 am

Don't tell Robert, he won't believe you and will make a fuss, :roll: :roll: I can still hear with my headphones on, unfortunately that is how loud the TV is, but can't usually hear the dogs outside. One day I will find a pair that blot out everything.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am

Oh my goodness - What have I been missing for the past year?? I put my headphones on, and started to play a BFG game called Mystery Valley. The game was just loading up, so I went into a bit of a trance and started to gaze across at the ocean, watching a couple of sailboats go by - and all of a sudden there was such a loud crack of thunder at the start of this game - at the same time Benji the Jack Russell decided to jump onto my lap - Well, talk about being scared witless..... I was plain scared, well, its another word that rhymes with witless :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh my - no more playing without the headphones for me in future......... I dont think I have the right nerves just now to play Amnesia, if this silly little game frightened me so much - I physically jumped :shock:
Boobie
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:22 pm

That is why I love headphones RB, just totally immersed in the game. I couldn't have survived Morrowind without them, I could hear the cliff racers before they were in sight.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm

You are so right - Even the BFG casual games sound so different now with headphones. I cant wait to play a full blown Adventure game with them........ Hmm, now which one to choose??
Boobie
Sneaker
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Sagittarius

Postby Sneaker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:04 pm

I love the game. I'm a big horror fan and it takes a lot to scare me. But Amnesia did it. It's a game with a perfect, scary and uncomfortable atmosphere. The dark really feels dangerous and I felt real panic when halfway a dark corridor, the oil of my lamp is used up. I gave it an 8,5 out of 10.
When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.

Moderator @ Adventure-Island.nl
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I wholeheartedly agree, Sneaker!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 pm

I will wait until I can bring Alice and her weapons with me. Seriously I will get to it, just want to play all the half-played games first.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:52 pm

Sure, Hawka, sure... [smilie=chicken01.gif]

Return to “Action, Action/Adventure and FPS Discussions”