Alice!!!

Talk about anything related to Action, Action/Adventure and FPS games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Alice!!!

Postby hawkavonpuka » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 pm

Just a grumble grumble here, blinking Alice is driving me nuts in the water area. Of course this happens to me in any game that involves water and the consequences of dieing there. Lemony Snicket, Dracula, etc. Why is it that when in these areas I get all flustered and manage to drown all the time? I am just fine on dry land, grrrhh, am using my gaming keyboard and she falls in, gets bit by snarks, finally gets out, gets clobbered by a rock that the ants threw, or basically just misses the jump. Off to another world today, maybe can rest my sore fingers and thumb, that might help. Other than this, I really love the game.
What kind of magic spell to use?
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Re: Alice!!!

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Is this American McGee's Alice, Hawka? I played this years ago but could never defeat the final boss. Loved it and must try it again, it's still sitting on my shelf.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Oh, Hawka, this is a really hard area to get through. I died so many times too!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:02 am

A scuba tank would be nice, or even snorkel and goggles. Please don't ever tell you know who about this game, :roll:
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:15 am

And you call this fun, Hawka?? :scratch:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:38 am

Alice was visually and conceptually rather beautiful and well scripted but too often frustrating to play. It had some good design points (more games should have the footprints!) but the basic run/jump/shoot/fall off/die was a bit broken.
Worth playing to the end if you can get there though!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:58 am

It was waaay fun, Rosaboobie! Just a bit frustrating at times.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

It is me too, whenever there is a sequence where my character goes over water and can fall in and croak, I get very flustered. Underwater it is hard to get your bearings and of course you can't breathe until you get your head up. I haven't played anything but casual games for almost two years so that doesn't help. Maybe I should have a go at the Cliffracers in Morrowind til I get my gaming hand back. I did drown a lot in the Hobbit too until I got the jumps down pat.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 am

Why no "real" games for 2 years, Hawka? Busy lifestyle??
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:53 am

Hawka, I believe we me on-line at the old TAC forums when you kept drowning in Dracula The Last Sanctuary!

Rosaboobie, she makes me dizzy with everything she does!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 am

Hawka makes you dizzy? You both make me feel dizzy :shock:
Boobie
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Draclvr does way more than I do, remember her humongous gardens, vegetables and flowers? I don't even go there, but with the kids stuff and the assorted barnyard type pets I have enough to do. The kids both ride the bus now so that helps, but I still do the cooking. Cianni just finished with volleyball and Chastin is in high school wrestling, plus Jujitsu on Tuesday and Thursday nights (grandpa does that run, but mom does the after school pickup after work). Now the events are starting, this Saturday down towards Kona, then the next weekend Friday after school and Saturday am in Hilo. That is a busy weekend cause mom has her work Christmas party (we were invited too but not going) down at the Mauna Lani resort and she has to set up. So she has to drive from Hilo to half way down the Kona coast for that. Chastin has Winter Ball that night too, but I don't think he is going this year.

Anyway my computer issues were the reasons for not gaming, I got sick and tired of starting a game, then getting really into it, then the stupid crashes and reinstalls. I got so I was afraid to start anything serious, but now thanks to all of you, I seem to have a fully functioning computer again. So it is time to finish up Fable (if I can remember what I was doing without reading the whole quest log). Then Morrowind was left in the lurch, thank heavens I have the saves for both of these games that I put months into!!

For the life of me I can't figure out how Drac can play so many games, some more than once when it takes me so long to just get through one. I think if I didn't have an annoying retired husband camping in the same room with the TV on so much it would help. Of course there are the hunting days, but I never know how long they will be and of course the "Alice" incident. RB, I didn't post this but one of the dogs, renamed Alice, fell down a 40 ft hole, probably an old irrigation thing. She is fine, not a scratch or limp, I swear she has springs in her feet I have seen her jump up in the air, all four feet way off the ground.

I will play Alice again today, after I take cans and bottle to the recycle place and do some grocery shopping. I must keep on practicing those jumps onto the leaves, getting a bit better with time.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm

I finally got Alice down the river, I did the just keep saving bit like I did in The Hobbit. Of course now I am facing the Duchess, shudder......................
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Oooo... the evil Duchess! I think that fight took me several days the first time!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:58 am

Duchess is a goner but I am pooped from all that running in circles. It reminded me of running away from Mama Spider. Following the bubbles looked easy at first til I got spiked and clammed and other neat things that are under water. I can see that this game is going to consume a lot of my time, good thing I like it~~

Return to “Action, Action/Adventure and FPS Discussions”