King's Bounty games

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

King's Bounty games

Postby Bacardi Jim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:00 pm

Avid RPG fans might want to check out these old-school games. They are available relatively cheaply from Steam. They are a bit of a twist on the traditional RPG in that your "party members" aren't characters, but hordes of various types of combat troops/magical monsters. Thus combat is part traditional turn-based RPG-style combat and part turn-based strategy/tactical game. The artwork is generally excellent. The storyline is revealed through a lot of lengthy dialogue boxes. The game engine is similar to that in Diablo 2 or Torchlight or Fate, except that it is turn-based.

These games lack the incredible charm of the Aveyond games, but are great at what they try to do. Decent storytelling, great graphics, and a re-thinking of the traditional combat system all adds up to a big winner.

By the way, I loved Torchlight. And I say that as someone who HATES real-time combat.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: King's Bounty games

Postby Jude » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:14 am

If we are referring to the same King's Bounty game, it was the precursor of the Heroes of Might and Magic Games.
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:05 am

Jude wrote:If we are referring to the same King's Bounty game, it was the precursor of the Heroes of Might and Magic Games.
That's the one.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:53 pm

That's the original, but there have been some more recent additions to the series. They're quite well known for being barking mad (as well as rather good):
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/10/02/kings-bounty-my-zombie-wife-the-belt-odoom/
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:09 pm

I love this quote, Phlebas:
"Later, I performed amateur dentistry on a dragon, fought a turtle as big as a castle and fed 89 giant snakes to a fish-god. I love King’s Bounty."
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:19 pm

That is a hoot!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Are these newer games available for the Mac, and if so, where?
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Jude wrote:Are these newer games available for the Mac, and if so, where?
According to Wiki, there are Mac versions. I got the first three games (Legend, Armored Princess, Crossroads) from Steam.

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”