open to suggestions

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

open to suggestions

Postby The Black Dahlia » Sat May 14, 2011 10:40 am

Am a big adventure game player but have yet to 'taste' RPG. I read the review of Witcher II - fascinating but also a bit intimidating. So am looking for suggestions of beginning games in RPGs to get a feel of what they are like.

Have to say am a bit prejudice re having to 'fight' my way through a game rather than 'do puzzles', but want to see what the RPG are like so a very intriguing beginning one I think will be my cup of tea.

draclvr has suggested Vampire Bloodlines - any comments on that one?
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: open to suggestions

Postby draclvr » Sat May 14, 2011 10:48 am

And I also suggested Morrowind, in spite of the "hugeness" of the game. It can also be gotten fairly inexpensively if BD decides this is not her "cup of tea." Anyone else have any suggestions?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sat May 14, 2011 1:47 pm

I agree with Morrowind which has fighting but it starts off fairly easy. Of course you start off so weak that a little wormish thing can kill you. One can take their time and roam all over, meanwhile gaining skills and strength and gold.

Bloodlines is good, there is a lot of fighting, sneaking around and so forth, of course the plus is that you get to feed, you have to until you get some blood bags. It also has the variety of being able to play different clans, some are better at some things than others. My Malkavian was really good at sneaking about, but when I tried the same moves with a Toreador I got nowhere and had to shoot my way out. One of the problems with Bloodlines is that it is getting hard to find and more expensive than it should be. I had too, one I gave away to L4L on GB, the other I have here and I will lend it to you BD if you want. I really don't think I will ever play it again, just cause I have so many others, but I still want to keep it.

Another good one that starts off fairly easy and works up is Fable the Lost Chapters, plus it has the tutorial to help you along the way. Annoying point is you can't make a real save until you finish the academy, so one must be prepared to tough that out and finish it. After that you can save every step of the way, which is what I usually do in any of the RPG or shooter games.

I also liked Silent Hill 2, have two more of the series yet to play, which wasn't real hard, just kind of creepy. It was hard to see though since the town of Silent Hill seems to be constantly shrouded in fog, might be easy now since I live in a location prone to fog. There is a map so if you know where you are going you just follow that and never mind that you can't see your own feet. This game is classified as Survival Horror. My recommendation for any of these games is to wear headphones, I would be dead meat without them. You can hear things and creatures before they get you, these games are very easy to get totally immersed in, probably why I am not playing now since "real life" is keeping me busy.
What kind of magic spell to use?
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Sat May 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Bloodlines is somewhat easier to get hold of since it appeared on Steam a while back. In fact Direct2Drive appear to have it at half price currently, though I don't know if that's the UK site only. I'd highly recommend the game - it's pretty phenomenal, not like anything else, properly grown-up writing, memorable characters and some actual moral ambiguity - with a couple of qualifications:
(1) Be sure to apply the latest patch since the released game was horrendously buggy - I'm not sure what the Steam or D2D versions have included. As I recall there were two large community patches, one containing bug fixes only and one also restoring a lot of content that had been disabled. I used the latter.
(2) The last bit of the game degenerates into fighting. A lot of fighting. Boo.
But even bearing that in mind it's an amazing game and well worth playing.

I'll second (or third) the suggestion of Morrowind - the definitive 'stranger in a strange land' experience, full of loving touches with lots to explore, discover and learn as well as fighting. (Fighting is the bit of RPGs I find least interesting). The game came out nearly 10 years ago and I still have the map on the wall above my computer.

And I'll add Planescape:Torment, now available from GOG.com for a very reasonable price. One of the best written games ever. Also one of the most written - apparently the script runs to around 800000 words. Epic and clever and moving and memorable and exciting and sad and beautiful and lots of things you don't usually see in games. And not too hard on the fighting. There is a drawback to playing this as a beginner though - there's nothing else much like it, so you may find that most games you play after it will disappoint.
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat May 14, 2011 9:16 pm

EXACTLY what we were hoping for! I'm glad to hear Bloodlines is now on Steam - the last time I saw it on Amazon it was going for over $80.

Thanks, Phlebas and Hawka!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Sun May 15, 2011 12:19 am

Gee thanks to everybody. Am copying down all the names of games here since they all seem to have some great aspects to them. Silent Hill sounds good - like scary games. Am redoing DarkFall just for the eerie effect of it.

Will post here again to let you know how I am doing and probably for help per ususal.

thanks again all
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun May 15, 2011 1:55 am

You are braver than me, BD - I have never had the courage to play an RPG yet :shock:

I hate getting killed in a game - I can remember, years ago, playing Realms of the Haunting and I was utterly useless at this game. I think it was an Adventure game, not an RPG, unless I am mistaken!
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun May 15, 2011 2:00 am

Well I guess that just devaluated my Bloodlines, but that's ok, better that everyone can get an affordable chance to play it. I can only suggest the ones I have played, but I do have a whole pile of games sitting there waiting, all RPG's and Shooters which of course take a lot longer than Adventure games.

RB it is ok to get killed in a game, at least there you can live to fight another day, I am just a "save" freak. Win a battle, save, then move on to the next one. Sometimes I just play it, then save and if I figure I could have done better, then redo it.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Sun May 15, 2011 11:40 am

The ongoing conversation is as helpful to me as the concrete info. Love to hear other people's experience in gaming - gives me some direction to follow when I take the plunge.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun May 15, 2011 2:49 pm

I swore never to get involved in any games at all and especially RPG's, but once you do there is no going back. Now my problem is time to play them cause once I start, I get immersed and hardly even come up for air. Real life does seem to get in the way, I played way more before living in the same house (though separate by floors) with my daughter and kids. Looking forward to school being out, granddaughter has to stay with her dad for a couple of weeks so I can immerse again, probably try to at least finish up Fable. My gaming time ground to a stop when my hard drive keep dieing on me, three times, I was afraid to start playing again.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 pm

Oh my I have ever yet to have a hard drive die on me and 3 times -would be devastated. But life in the PC land I guess.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm

I know this thread is old, but I'm chiming in because I noticed that nobody mentioned my favorite RPG: Anachronox.

http://www.mysterymanor.net/reviewanachronox.htm
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Just reviewed your assessment of Anackronox (did I spell it right) BJ. and it sure sounds fascinating. Have just added it to my list to 'taste'. Hope by now the price is down.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:52 pm

The Black Dahlia wrote:Just reviewed your assessment of Anackronox (did I spell it right) BJ. and it sure sounds fascinating. Have just added it to my list to 'taste'. Hope by now the price is down.
If you get it, make sure you download both patches for it. I only spent $12 for my copy. New.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm

Will remember the patches and where did you buy for $12?

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”