open to suggestions

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: open to suggestions

Postby Bacardi Jim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 pm

The Black Dahlia wrote:Will remember the patches and where did you buy for $12?
At CompUSA, back when they had a brick-and-mortar store here. I see that Amazon currently has a used-like-new copy for $15 + $3 shipping. Worth every penny, given the length of the game.

[EDIT: I was looking at the boxed version of the game. You can jet jewel-case versions quite a bit cheaper through Amazon.]
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:37 pm

So noted BJ and after I am through the present ones I have, will check your game out - sounds fascinating from your review.,
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Faust » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:02 pm

I would add Dragon Age : Origins , Elder Scrolls : Oblivion , Divinity II : Ego Draconis (liked it a lot !) , & Hunted : The Demon's Forge to that list . Also , any of the old Dungeons & Dragons based rpg games (Icewind Dale 1&2 , Baldurs Gate 1&2 , Planescape Torment , Temple of Elemental Evil , etc .) would be a great way to become familiar with the rpg world !
Look around you... I am everywhere!!
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Faust wrote:I would add Dragon Age : Origins , Elder Scrolls : Oblivion , Divinity II : Ego Draconis (liked it a lot !) , & Hunted : The Demon's Forge to that list . Also , any of the old Dungeons & Dragons based rpg games (Icewind Dale 1&2 , Baldurs Gate 1&2 , Planescape Torment , Temple of Elemental Evil , etc .) would be a great way to become familiar with the rpg world !
Planescape: Torment was very well written. I generally hate the Quake/Diablo engine, much preferring turn-based combat. But at least P:T let you set the combat to pause when it was time for someone in your party to act. It was a nice compromise and a wickedly dark and funny game.

If ES:O is the game I'm thinking of, I hated the combat. You actually had to move the mouse around to swing your sword. (1st-person perspective) Great open world exploration, but I couldn't handle the combat. Baldur's Gate really started it all, and were great games. As far as ToEE and the other D&D-based RPGs (Eye of the Beholder, etc.), I can't be objective. I liked them a lot, but was already a devout D&D player long before those games came out. So I can't judge how someone who isn't already a D&D geek would like them.
Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior... if human beings don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Faust » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:53 pm

I used to play D&D a long time ago . I played dwarf fighters with a Chaotic Neutral alignment . Had a lot of fun playing that alignment ! Oblivion is first person . I would rather play first person , however , I can adapt to third person no problem ! I have a disc copy of Planescape , & have not played it in some time . I've got a ton of games on my "to play" pile .
Look around you... I am everywhere!!
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I recall Oblivion as being first-person too, but not turn-based and having to manually swing your sword around using the mouse.
Bacardi Jim
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Bacardi Jim » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 pm

For Quake/Diablo engine fans, Torchlight was pretty decent. Less successful than Fate, but I enjoyed it more.
The Black Dahlia
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby The Black Dahlia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Oh my, my list of games to try, taste, play just grows and grows. May have to take some of these games into the beyond with me :pale: Noting them all down guys and keeping all remarks in mind. Many thanks for continued interest in this thread.
When you see old people, don't pass them by. Stop to relate. They're really young people who have just been around a long time.

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”