The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Post by draclvr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:03 pm

That does sound good, Diat. And even better, it's simple!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Post by Rosaboobie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 am

Even I could cook that! :cool:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:46 pm

I think I would use breast, I can't stand the dark meat of chicken.
What kind of magic spell to use?

Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Diat60 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 pm

No reason not to use breast, I just put in what ingredients I had on hand. Probably would need less cook time though.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

I was watching some guy on Chow Ciao (or something) and he did an easy baked ziti. So, I am making that tonight, but, have to say that I am not too crazy about it so far. sure looked better when he was doing it. my bechemel sauce was lumpy and didn't have enough parmesan cheese. does anyone have any good pasta dishes that are tried and true and EASY and FAST? I sure would like to get some. I haven't looked at the previous threads, maybe there is something in there.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Well, mine are all easy and fast because I can at least a dozen quarts of spaghetti sauce every year. Actually, we can about 50 gallons of salsa, pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce and split it between 7 of us! Needless to say, I have 120 tomato plants growing out in the garden right now!

I have two recipe websites that I consider "tried and true" and I use them all the time. Allrecipes.com is great and I especially love the user reviews. I keep Simply Recipes as an app on my iGoogle home page. I love Elise's review and background before each recipe.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm

ah, you can salsa too? I do that too. I only have about 10 tomato plants in the garden and my friend has about 20, and we get together in the fall and make big batches of salsa to can and divide them up. I haven't tried making spaghetti sauce to can yet, I just buy the cheap stuff at Walmart and use that. maybe that is why my ziti doesn't taste that great????? ummmm.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Our "trade secret" is Mrs. Wage's Spaghetti, Pizza and Salsa mixes. They are second to none! If you can't find the mixes in your store, just order them from the web site - that's what I do.

Our salsa "recipe" is 25 pints of crushed tomatoes, 2 pints chopped onions, 2 pints green chopped green peppers, 2 pints chopped hot peppers and 6 packages of Mrs. Wage's Salsa Mix. Or the "top shelf" salsa which is the same except in place of the 2 pints of chopped hot peppers, I add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of my ground chipotles and an entire head of chopped garlic.

Try the spaghetti sauce - it's awesome!

hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Post by hawkavonpuka » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 am

I like the recipes on the Johnsonville website! I have one with sausage that is really good but I will have to post it from my phone since it is saved there.
What kind of magic spell to use?

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:13 am

I just looked up Mrs. Wages products and found out that they have it in stock at my tractor supply store. I will check that out. Do you put any lime juice in your salsa?

now to check out the johnsonville site. Good things to put into my 'favorites' folder. thanks.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 am

If I make fresh salsa to serve right away, I put some lime and a bit of cilantro in it. But I don't for canning.

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm

okay Drac, I have a 5 gal bucket of tomatoes here and the recipe calls for about 18 medium tomatoes. do you use exactly 18? or do you just guess at how many? I have the Mrs. Wages stuff and am ready to do this tomorrow. Larry made his batch of salsa a few weeks ago, and I wasn't that happy with it, so, I am going to try this. I have lots of peppers in the garden, lots of onions, so, everything should be on go... just wondering if you followed the recipe for exactly the right amount of tomatoes!

Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Post by Diat60 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I found an extremely easy recipe (and I'm a sucker for easy) for ripe tomatoes. Just slice tomatoes and grate some cheddar cheese, then put slices of tomato in the bottom of a casserole dish, put a little dab of mayonnaise on the tomatoes and cover with cheese. Keep layering, finishing with cheese. 325 oven for 30 minutes. That's it! And one of the most delicious things I've tasted in ages.

draclvr

Post by draclvr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:10 pm

mbday, for the salsa using the Mrs. Wages seasoning mix, you need 5 pints of tomatoes - assuming that is the size of the seasoning packet because they have some for smaller amounts. Check what the directions say on your seasoning packet. So it doesn't matter how many tomatoes you have, so long as they make up 5 pints or whatever the amount is on the back of your seasoning packet.

Our recipe is 25 pints of peeled and chopped (in the food processor) tomatoes, 2 pints of hot peppers, 2 pints of sweet peppers and 2 pints of onions. Add 6 of the large packets of Mrs. Wages seasoning packets, heat to a simmer and ladle into pint jars. Process in a pressure canner 10 minutes for pints.

Or just do the Mrs. Wages and the tomatoes!

mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Post by mbday630 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:19 am

Diat, I am a sucker for easy recipes too, especially ones that use up things that I grow in the garden. I will try that! sounds good. for the dab of mayo, is your dab like a teaspoon? size of a pea? how big a dab?

I'll let you know how my salsa turns out. should be an interesting day. I have to babysit today too, so, hopefully I will remember to wash my hands really really well before attending to any potty things with my grandson. those hot peppers can really hurt.