Diablo II Lord of Destruction - Victory!

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Diablo II Lord of Destruction - Victory!

Postby Jude » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 pm

I just completed the last quest in Diablo II LOD (defeating Baal) with Thorsget in Normal Difficulty. (Baal's Minions only killed me three times!) I am going back to Normal Difficulty and Act 1 to do the Secret Cow Level (which can only be done after completing the game), and then on to Nightmare level with Thorsget, who has earned the title of Slayer.

To do the Secret Cow level, you must first finish the game on a particular difficulty level, then choose your character again and go back to Act I. If you do not have Wirt's Leg on you, you must enter Tristam and get it again -- from Wirt's body lying on the ground. Tristam can be found by entering the portal between the Cairn Stones in the Stony Field. Put Wirt's Leg and a Tome of Town Portal in the Horadric Cube while in Act I's town area. When you transmute them, a portal to the Secret Cow Level will appear. Be very careful not to get surrounded by cows. They are fast and tough. Retreat if necessary through the portal, or better yet, open a new one a slight distance away so you have a back-up escape.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Diablo II Lord of Destruction - Victory!

Postby draclvr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm

Yay! I have GOT to do the cow level. Blake, my Sorceress is very close to where I'm getting up the nerve to go up against Diablo. I don't think she's got Wirt's Leg though. Good to know you can go back and get it. The open portal is a backup tactic I use with abandon!

I was browsing games at Wal Mart the other day and it always warms my heart to see the Diablo War Chest still for sale. Says a lot about a game to still be on the retail shelves this many years after the releases!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 pm

With the LOD expansion set installed, you have to defeat Baal, not just Diablo, in order to finish the game and be able to open the Secret Cow Level, I believe. If you open it after completing the 4th Act (killing Diablo), let me know, but I'm pretty sure you have to complete the whole game, which with the expansion means after Act V.

Also, be careful when opening the seals (the big marks on the floor in the Diablo chambers). Try not to step on them until you have cleared out all the other monsters, and then only open one at a time, or you may be overwhelmed. After the last seal is opened, Diablo appears. Keep a portal handy!

Believe it or not, since I have the habit of starting new characters all the time, this is only the second time I have finished the game (on Normal). The first time was with an Amazon named Jackiehood.

Nightmare and Hell difficulty let you keep playing with the same character, essentially playing the game over, but the monsters are harder, (and the items are better), your resistances take a penalty, and the are penalties for dying, I think, too.

It's definitely a replayable game. And I have to give Blizzard a lot of credit for supplying patches that not only keep up with the new OS, but also providing new content.

Let me know how Blake does!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm

It's been awhile since I've played LOD, but in testing it on Windows 8 of course I got sucked in again.

I got surrounded by the bad guy and a bunch of his minions in Tristram and got killed. Now, when I try to go back to the stones, I can no longer get into Tristram. I remember there being a portal left open when I played before, but there is nothing there now and touching the stones does nothing. Am I not remembering something correctly or do I have to dump my Level 11 Assasin and start over?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Uh oh, that seems like a bug. Yeah, once you open the portal (in single-player mode), it should stay there until you finish the game and go to the new difficulty level.

The only exception is if the "map" gets reset. That usually only happens if you play online or over a LAN. If the map is reset, then you probably need to redo the quest to get the scroll from the Tree of Innervess (spelling?) before you can open the portal again.

So, if you haven't been playing online or hooked to another computer via LAN with that character, check to see if the map was reset, anyway. You can do that by noticing if the map overview in the game is no longer drawn completely, or you can look at the Save folder and order it by date to see if the map has been created at a later date than when you first went to that level. Perhaps Window 8 has a bug that resets the maps, or maybe it's just a bug that glitched the Tristram portal. :(

Have you checked Blizzard's website for support or their forums for any mention of it?
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm

No, haven't gone to Blizzard... thought I'd come to the REAL authority first!

Nope, just playing single player and I did take a look at the Save folder. One thing that seemed strange is that when I was sent back to the Rogue camp, my body was there with all my inventory. As I remember, you have to go find your body and recover the inventory in the place where you were killed.

I'll check at Blizzard to see if they have any ideas because if this is an issue with Windows 7 or Windows 8, I need to find out. I'm thinking it's not, but who knows...

Thanks!
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 pm

Your character's body returns to the camp with all the items you had the last time your character died if you quit the game without recovering the body first. In other words, when you restart the game, if you hadn't recovered the body, it will appear in the camp. It seems like the game is resetting things when it shouldn't....
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm

That's what I was thinking - it's been a good year since I've played the game, so I wasn't sure if I could trust my memory. I may have to get killed on purpose to see what happens this time.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 pm

So, did you figure out what was going on with the weirdness in the game?
Jude's Wondrous Universe
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Sorry! To be honest, I've been having too much darned fun in this game again!

I did some more testing on letting my Assassin get killed and it all seemed to work OK after that. So I created another Assassin and held my breath as Letha went to Tristram, freed Deckard Cain and picked up Wirt's Leg. But there was my portal and all was well!

It must have just been a one-time game glitch as Letha and Aliza have just come in out of the desert outside Lut Gholein and will be heading into the palace next time.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Jude » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 pm

Cool!
Jude's Wondrous Universe

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”