Too many Kickstarters!

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Too many Kickstarters!

Postby Kickaha » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:25 pm

It's like an addiction - but I've already backed four games this year. The latest one I've gone for is a RPG - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera?ref=live - which looks like a successor to "Planescape: Torment". Hopefully the wave of Kickstarters will slow down!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Too many Kickstarters!

Postby draclvr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:31 pm

I know what you mean - I've only backed two, but there were so many others that I felt were deserving! This one looks awesome too... tempting.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 am

I've backed - umm - let's just say more than 4 games. There's quite a sharp divide on Kickstarter between the projects to revive a revered classic (Torment, Wasteland 2, Dreamfall Chapters) and the ones looking to do something exciting and new (Pulse, Homesick, Lilly Looking Through) - both can benefit from the Kickstarter model, though, whether it's because they get to be free from publisher control or because they get to make the game at all.
Torment definitely looks like an exciting one - it's a shame Chris Avellone isn't writing it, but it generally seems a good team and the thematic and worldbuilding stuff is very promising.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Good for you Phlebas on being an exemplary backer!

Yes there are different groups of projects on Kickstarter. Something with a strong fanbase can raise large sums quickly - like the Torment game, or the Veronica Mars film. Some haven't done so well for whatever reason - for example the Capri Connection Kickstarter is only at 8%.

I could use a digest of Adventure / RPG game Kickstarters - I hear about new Kickstarters mostly indirectly.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Same here, Kickaha.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Phlebas » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 am

Rock Paper Shotgun do a weekly roundup of Kickstarter/indiegogo projects they deem interesting (so the focus is PC games rather than specifically adventure/RPG, but well worth a look):
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/kickstarter-katchup/

I'll see if I can get a summary together in the next few days, but since it finishes soon I'll mention straight away that Jonas Kyratzes has a project for a new and possibly final Lands of Dream game - if you've played his previous games you'll know this is a bit special:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ithaka-of-the-clouds/x/95672
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Phlebas! Yes, there are worthwhile projects on Indiegogo as well as Kickstarter, are there other such funding websites?
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Phlebas » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 pm

There are a few others, though those two are the biggest and most reputable. It's worth noting that indiegogo uses a slightly different model to Kickstarter - with Kickstarter no money goes through unless the target is reached, so that you have a bit more confidence that the project has enough backing to achieve something. Indiegogo allows that system but also offers a 'flexible funding' model where the project gets all funds pledged regardless of whether it got anywhere near the target. That's fine for a publishing project where it's just being used as a preordering system, but less helpful for a starving indie developer needing a critical mass to make their first game. So I'd be a bit wary of 'flexible funding' projects.
Ithaka of the Clouds, though, is (a) a 'fixed funding' project, (b) already over target and (c) comes from a well established starving indie developer with a very strong record for making lovely games on no budget.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 pm

In passing Chris Avellone is now at least going to be writing some of the new Torment RPG. I'm going to try to resist Kickstarters for a bit as Japan was expensive.
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

In passing Larian have a Kickstarter to part help another Divinity game at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby Phlebas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 am

Exciting news about Avellone - that means he's working on both of the Kickstarted Torment-ish games (Project Eternity, from Obsidian, came first and also looks very promising). He'll be a busy chap!
You may have noticed I didn't manage to get round to surveying current projects before going on holiday - I'm back now, so will try and get something together soon (along with posting some photos of the trip - mine will have fewer beautiful Japanese buildings and flowers than yours, but more lions).
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 am

Welcome back, Phlebas - I have already seen some of your photos on Facebook.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:38 am

Look forward to seeing your photos Phlebas! Lions are good too. I was getting bored with temples by the end.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Guess what I wanted to see what I went to Schweinfurt Germany to visit family? I asked if I could see the Schweinfurt sewage treatment plant! I spent my career inspecting treatment plants to enforce our Clean Water Laws, so I was interested to see how they did it in Germany! However, I did not get any pictures for your enjoyment... :D
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General

Postby Kickaha » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 am

Shame! That would have been a different set of pictures to the normal holiday snaps!

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”