The Book Thief

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

The Book Thief

Postby Diat60 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 pm

I read a review of this and thought it would be a good read, only realizing coincidentally that a movie is presently debuting in theatres. Honestly, I haven't a clue about the movie, but can't praise the book highly enough. I'm about half way through now and cannot imagine what the end will be. It's "authored" by Death and is about a young German girl fostered by strangers during World War II. She lives in a suburb of Munich in great poverty and much of the book is about her struggle to read and find reading material which she shares with the Jewish man hiding in their basement. These characters, the foster mother and father, the Jewish man and her friends will stay with me long after the book is done. Definitely a five star rating.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: The Book Thief

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm

I've just downloaded it to my Kindle Fire and plan on starting it as soon as I'm done with the series I'm reading right now. I'm definitely looking forward to it! My friends who have seen the movie have given it mixed reviews.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Diat. I've got several Barnes & Noble gift cards to spend, so I've added it to my list.
There's no such thing as too many books!
Winfrey
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Gemini

Postby Winfrey » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info.. I have been wondering about this one.
------------
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see
Henry David Thoreau]

Return to “Book Discussions”