Thief 4

Talk about anything related to Action, Action/Adventure and FPS games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Thief 4

Postby Diat60 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Thief (actually Thief 4) is being released on Steam on February 25th. http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/239160/ It's rather pricey at $44.95 US and is actually a remake of the first Thief game, albeit with much much better artwork and realistic people (civilians and guards). Seems like we've been waiting forever and I'm looking forward to trying it. I wish they would bring out a hard copy of this one to go with my other three.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: Thief 4

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Crikey, that's a bit steep, $44.95 - I must be becoming a true Scots, for they are famed for their meanness LOL. :lol:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:37 pm

I know several friends who are gearing up for this release. One is replaying the first 3 games in the series to get it all fresh in her head! The official trailer is making my "buy it" finger get twitchy!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:39 pm

It seems soooo long ago when Thief first came out.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Still a great favorite with me, replayed over and over. Until fairly recently I could never get Thief 2 to run at all, but someone at TTLG brought out "Taffer Patch" which makes it run perfectly.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:04 pm

I'm erring on the side of caution here - I love the original Thief games dearly but the impression I get is that this remake is unlikely to live up to them. It'll be prettier - the graphics of the originals looked a bit dated even when they came out - but from everything I've read this looks to be a much more linear game with a lot of scripted events rather than the wonderfully open environments and coherent systems that we remember. Plus the publishers are offering a lot of incentives to pre-order, which may suggest they're not expecting word of mouth to be great once people actually play it. I hope I'm wrong - the originals are some of my favourite games ever and a worthy followup would be amazing - but I'll wait for reviews.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:10 pm

The original graphics were definitely dated, but the thing was, the game was so great that you became engrossed in it and never noticed the graphics at all. I was never even sure that No.3 lived up to the first two, as they made it somewhat different. I think I just wanted to play "Cargo" or its equivalent over and over again. Sad eh?

Return to “Action, Action/Adventure and FPS Discussions”