The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:15 pm

I love stir fries too but have not cooked one since I have been here - Just a concoction of onions, red and yellow peppers (do you call them capsicums or something?), garlic, celery, spring onions (hmmm scallions to you) , maybe mushrooms and chicken I think, with a dash of this and a sprinkle of that LOL. Anyone got any good stir fry recipes to share with me?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm

No stir fries, but here's a funny little thing I've just learned. Did you know that whole carrots can be cooked in the microwave, like a baked potato, only peeled first? Not only is it quick, but they taste better than boiling or steaming!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I have never heard that before, Diat. Do you have to cover them?
Boobie
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:15 pm

I like some of the really easy ones where you just use the purchased broccoli slaws... I've tried some of these 5-ingredient stir fries and they have been great.

5 Ingredient Stir Fry Recipes
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:33 pm

No, I just pricked them like a baked potato and put my all purpose microwave cover on them.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:46 am

Thank you for those recipes, Drac.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Not that I could even FIND most of these ingredients, but I found this recipe for making home made Worcestershire Sauce very interesting!

Worcestershire Sauce

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Yield: makes 1 1/2 cups

This recipe for a simple, homemade Worcestershire Sauce may contain many ingredients, all of which contribute to the sauce's unique and complex flavor, but it really is deceptively simple to make. It comes from the book DIY Pantry by Kresha Faber which features 150 natural recipes for pantry favorites.

Ingredients

1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup naturally fermented fish sauce (find it here)
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
1 tablespoon naturally fermented soy sauce
3 tablespoons onion juice, or 1 teaspoon dehydrated onion
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely minced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
8 anchovies, minced
Juice of 1 lime

Instructions

Whisk together the vinegars, molasses, fish sauce, tamarind paste, soy sauce, and onion juice. Set aside.
Heat a small, dry saute pan over medium heat. Toast the spices until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat; then sauté the shallots until transparent and beginning to brown, 2–3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, anchovies, and reserved spices and continue to saute just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour in the vinegar mixture and scrape up any bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a full simmer; then remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl and stir in the lime juice. Pour into a jar or bottle for long-term storage. Will keep in the refrigerator for 1–2 months.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat May 31, 2014 8:39 am

I never knew you used this sauce in the U.S., Drac. Is the one you buy the original British one, or do you have an American make?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat May 31, 2014 9:06 am

Lea & Perrins is the brand I always buy... Actually we use a lot of this sauce in the US! It's one of my favorite ingredients in many, many things.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 pm

Me too, I also use Lea & Perrins in a lot of dishes - We could even buy it in Kenya, so it seems this sauce is enjoyed all around the world. Paricularly love lashings of it in tomato juice.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 pm

Do you have Maggi where you live, Rosaboobie? The Germans use a lot of it, so we always have a big bottle of it here.

This isn't a recipe so much as it is a way I discovered to use up all the tomatoes that have a bad spot or a split or have some reason they won't last long. Since I grow around 125 - 150 tomatoes every year, I have TONS of them. I separate them out from the good ones and after scrubbing them and cutting out the bad parts, I cut them up and put in my food processer skins and all. I keep pureeing them and at some point add a couple of onions and an entire head of fresh garlic. I put it all in a big pot and very, very slowly simmer until about 1/3 of the liquid is gone. Then I put it through my food mill to remove all the skins and seeds and return to the pot. At that point it is a nice semi-thick tomato sauce consistency, but NOTHING like the stuff in a can in the store! I pressure can it in pint jars for use during the winter. I only add a very small amount of salt when I can it - the flavor is so concentrated and yummy.

The nice thing about this is that you can open it up and add any seasonings you want - or none at all. Good stuff!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:14 am

We certainly used to have Maggi in the Kenyan shops but I don't think I have seen it here, Drac.
Boobie
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:01 pm

We always have a bottle of Lea & Perrins in the fridge. I use it when making hamburgers and meatloaf.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:03 pm

I also use Lee & Perrins in quite a few of my dishes, and I just love it in huge doses in tomato juice!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Same here - I would no more do without my Lee & Perrins than salt and good freshly ground peppercorn!

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”