Fright recommendations?

Here's the place to talk about all your favorite casual games.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor
Zodiac: Gemini

Re: Fright recommendations?

Postby Ghostlady » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 pm

This was such an awesome game for me. I highly recommend. The atmosphere gives more of the spooky effect than the characters or the story. A cornfield of all places (even at night; with the bonus chapter. YES!). Spooky scarecrows. And then is has real actors instead of graphic actors which is a big plus for me. This is the best game I've played all year.

Here is a review:

http://www.allaboutcasualgame.com/2014/ ... eview.html
Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again...
Val
Galloping Ghoul
Galloping Ghoul
Zodiac: Pisces

Postby Val » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:52 am

Second that GL! Personally never experienced any glitches just a thoroughly enjoyable game. :)
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 am

Well, on all your recommendations here, I purchased and will probably down tonight. Looking forward to it!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor

Postby Ghostlady » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:39 am

Yes! Now we want to hear your opinion.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby JKEerie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:28 pm

Unfortunately, I can't get Fright to launch on my Windows 7 machine. I get an "access violation" error so there is a conflict somewhere. I am waiting for a response from Big Fish support on what I can try besides running as administrator and compatibility mode. In the meantime, I did actually download and launch it on my older Windows XP laptop. So...I guess if push comes to shove, that is my alternative. I'd love to play it on my Asus machine, though.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Well...This weekend I was able to play "Fright" on my HP laptop running XP. The help from Big Fish trying to fix the Access Violation error I was getting on my Asus running Windows 7 consisted only of the solutions they offer on the website: Uninstalling and reinstalling while disabling any antivirus programs, and Running as Administrator, etc. So... they gave me a credit for a new CE and told me to move on. The only other thing I could think of would be to try to run it after a Clean boot, but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

In XP, the game played fine except for the cut scenes. The audio was so far ahead of the video it was laughable. That appeared to be a major complaint in the forums at Big Fish even with folks running newer machines.

The game was okay, with a spooky atmosphere (You're right GL. Setting in a cornfield was a spooky idea.) but altogether, I wouldn't rank it among the best I played. Maybe it was the logy cutscenes that detracted from the experience.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm playing it on my Windows 8.1 computer with no problems at all. I can see why the enjoyment of the game would be compromised by the messed up cut scenes. I'm really liking it...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Ghostlady
Mistress of the Manor
Mistress of the Manor

Postby Ghostlady » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Sometimes it seems the standard version plays better than the CE's. I just had a similar problem where I couldn't get the CE to run but the standard version did. Had to get a credit from BF.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:41 pm

OK... finally finished this game. Between all the company, work at Longmeadow and the gardens, this summer has been kicking my butt!

I really liked this game... for a casual game. I loved the setting, the live actors and the puzzles were OK, but it was way, way too short. I don't think I spent 5 hours on it total. I know the quality of these games is getting better and better - thank heavens! Somehow, I'm having a hard time getting completely past the predictability and repetition of casual games. It's hard to make a completely immersive casual game that you can wander around in for weeks and not get enough of it. I do miss those games.

But as these games go, this one was first rate. I'll rank it up there with Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death, but below the Ravenhurst series and The 13th Skull.
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:23 pm

Well...It seems that all my woes with the game Alter Ego, extended to Fright. I went back into the event viewer to July to see if an error recorded as to why I could not play the game on my ASUS laptop. Indeed it was the same atioglxx.dll file! So, the game uses OpenGL graphics. The solution to completely uninstall and reinstall the ATI graphics driver that enabled the play of Alter Ego, also enabled me to play Fright! So...I replayed with much better cutscenes etc and did find the game more enjoyable...yet still ultimately depressing. :sad:

BTW: I did replay Alter Ego on my ASUS up to a point where my characters would disappear into the background on my XP...and the graphics were flawless on the ASUS. I won't replay Alter Ego in its entirety...as I also found the ending quite depressing! :lol:
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I think Alter Ego is just one of those games that there are not enough tweaks to enable it to run on many computers. You certainly gave it everything you've got to get it running though!
JKEerie
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby JKEerie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:55 am

It was a good experience, Drac. I was just about ready to give up and then Jason from Encore posted at Gameboomers and that encouraged me to continue trying. As it stands it was a corrupt .dll file all along. A lesson learned...don't assume that the problems everyone else is having extend to your computer...check the event viewer!

Return to “Casual Games”