Lucien21 Books 2014

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Lucien21 Books 2014

Postby draclvr » Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 pm

This one sounded like one I would like too, Lucien... so much so that I just went to Amazon and downloaded it to my Microsoft Surface! Good reading tonight!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Lucien21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:33 pm

On holiday at the moment so finished up a few books so far.

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King

Not one of King's normal books. It's more of a crime novel than horror. Mr Mercedes is the nickname of the serial killer who used the car from the title to mow down and kill 8 people in a job recruitment crowd. Never caught he taunts the now retired detective for not completing the work. Intending to goad the detective into taking his own life, instead it reinvogorates teh detective into reopening the investigation and set out to catch Mr Mercedes before he kills again.

The book was ok, but a bit pedestrian by his normal standards. Hopefully the new horror novel "Revival" which comes out soon is more along his normal standard.

3/5

Lock In - John Scalzi

Fifteen years from now, a new virus sweeps the globe. 95% of those afflicted experience nothing worse than fever and headaches. Four percent suffer acute meningitis, creating the largest medical crisis in history. And one percent find themselves “locked in”—fully awake and aware, but unable to move or respond to stimulus. One per cent doesn't seem like a lot. But in the United States, that's 1.7 million people “locked in”...including the President's wife and daughter.

This was an interesting, of not entirely original, idea where technology allows the "Lock in" people to interact using a robotic body (Kind of like Surrogates) or by hiring a real body (some people who had the virus have altered brains that allow people to take over their body and move around etc, while their own conciousness takes a back seat. -Integrators) New laws and rules are in place to govern these new technologies to stop people committing crimes in their robot bodies and getting away with it, and the real bodies are trained and regulated to regain control of their body if they think the client is going to do something illegal.

So the book starts with a murder which has potentially been committed by one of the Integrators, but he doesn't remember doing it. The main character is a new FBI agent, a famous Lock-in who is partnered with an ex-integrator to investigate crimes involving this new tech.

The book soon excalates into a bigger conspiracy and spirals into a huge investigation.

I liked the idea of the book and it started really well, however it kind of got a bit too big for it's boots towards the end and the investigation touched on big conspiracies, the basis of the technology and some political and civil unrest towards the virus and it's victims. Unfortunatly it doen't really sketch any of it out and some of the books gets very expositiony...Show don't tell please.

3/5

Skin Game - Jim Butcher

Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it’s something awful.

He doesn’t know the half of it….

Mab has just traded Harry’s skills to pay off one of her debts. And now he must help a group of supernatural villains—led by one of Harry’s most dreaded and despised enemies, Nicodemus Archleone—to break into the highest-security vault in town so that they can then access the highest-security vault in the Nevernever.

It’s a smash-and-grab job to recover the literal Holy Grail from the vaults of the greatest treasure hoard in the supernatural world—which belongs to the one and only Hades, Lord of the freaking Underworld and generally unpleasant character. Worse, Dresden suspects that there is another game afoot that no one is talking about. And he’s dead certain that Nicodemus has no intention of allowing any of his crew to survive the experience. Especially Harry.

Dresden’s always been tricky, but he’s going to have to up his backstabbing game to survive this mess—assuming his own allies don’t end up killing him before his enemies get the chance….

15 books in an Jim Butcher is still knocking it out the park with Dresden books. Possibly the most entertaining and consistant Urban Fantasy Novel around. Harry Dresden is always a fun ride. I've always thought that with these long running series it gets harder to up the ante, make your character more powerful, more dangerous enemies and still keep it grounded. However Jim Butcher keeps doing it again and again.

A joy to read.

4.5/5
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
Lucien21
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby Lucien21 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:05 pm

So ends a long bad year where I never got a chance to do the stuff I love like paly games and especially read books.

Read a couple over Xmas break

High Druids Blade - Terry Brooks

Stand alone Shannara novel. About Paxon Leah and the ancient sword that ran in his family. Weidly nothing really happens in this book. He reawakens the magic of the sword, trains with the druids, Faces off against a rouge wizard, but no conclusions and no real conflicts are found.

After nearly 40 years of Shannara novels they are all starting to have the same plot over and over again. He really needs to branch out and try something new, but he still has two stand alone novels and a final trilogy to wrap up before he says he is moving to something new.

Quick read but ultimatly forgettable.

Tripwire - Lee Child

Third Jack Reacher Novel. Jack get pulled into an investigation started by his old commander. A hooked man, a crooked money lender, is trying to kill him and his commanders Daughter after the investigation trips some early warning system. However the man has a deal in place and doesn't want to run just yet putting him in Jack's crosshairs.

Overall another quick forgetttable read, entertaining while reading, but not going to set the world alight.
Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable.
—Anorak’s Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1–2
draclvr
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:54 pm

I like the Lee Child Reacher books for just the reason you mention - sometimes that's just the kind of read I'm in the mood for!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:24 am

I love reading Lee Child too - most of my reading these days is crime fiction.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Jude » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:29 am

I hope this year is better, Lucien!
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 am

Yes, I hope so too, Lucien :cool:
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!

Return to “Book Discussions”