The Recipe Exchange.

Comments or questions, advertise your site, or just general talk.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

Re: The Recipe Exchange.

Postby mbday630 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:59 pm

well, I have quite a few butternut squash growing and my daughter sent me this recipe and I was wondering if anyone has tried something similar and if it is any good. ? I hate wasting cream cheese if this tastes crappy.

3 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons margarine
3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
1-1/2 cups water
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1. 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
2. Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:33 pm

I have no idea, but it sounds pretty good. How is it supposed to be served? Kind of like mashed potatoes?
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 pm

i guess it is supposed to be a soup. Hubby says he won't try it no matter what. Just wondering if it would be worth a go. or if anyone has any other good butternut squash recipes. so far, I have just been baking them, putting on tons of butter and some salt and pepper. that's my favorite way.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 pm

My sister made a mistake and bought two thick pork chops meant for stuffing instead of the regular boneless chops we usually get. Does anyone have an easy idea for stuffing them?
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:18 pm

If you want plain and simple, I love chops stuffed with dressing. I usually just buy the boxed mix in pork flavor. I brown the chops (I usually use the thin ones because I'm too lazy to stuff the thick ones!) and put into a casserole dish. I spread the prepared dressing mix over them and add another layer of the thin chops. I usually do this many so I have leftovers. Then I add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the dish, cover and bake at 325° for about 45 minutes. Add more water if necessary. While it's baking, I add a can of cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 can water to the pan drippings and heat to make a mushroom gravy.

This one also looks good where you add chopped apples.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/appl ... pork-chops
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
LadyKestrel
Flighty Administrator
Flighty Administrator
Zodiac: Aries

Postby LadyKestrel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Mmmm. They both sound good. Thanks for the ideas, Drac.
Just hand over the cookies and no one gets hurt!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Oh, boy! Oh, boy! I just made the best Sweet Chili Sauce ever. Even though it's smoking hot, the flavors are just amazing and I can't stop eating just another tiny spoonful. I'm just going to post a link to the website I found. It has a bunch of home made chili sauces including one for a beautiful bright orange Fatalii chili sauce which Carmella has been talking about in another thread. I used some of my Peter Peppers for this one, a pint of tomato sauce I canned this summer and some of my own smoked sweet pepper powder.

Sweet Chili Sauce
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:20 pm

I'd be grateful for recipes for my new CrockPot slow cooker. I've tried a pot roast with chuck, a whole chicken and a stew which turned out well, but last night's flank steak was just stringy (although it fell apart) and we landed up throwing out most of it. Any other suggestions?
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:30 am

There are a load of websites for your slow cooker Diat - Instead of cooking daily, I mostly "batch cook" in my large slow cooker, and freeze what's left over - You can cook most things in a slow cooker, but they do say only use the cheaper cuts of beef etc though.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter

Postby mbday630 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:55 am

Drac, did you use Garam Masala? I have never heard of that. I can't say that I ever heard of smoked paprika either. Are those hard to find? the sauce sounds really good.
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:32 am

Draclvr!!!!! I love that recipe (and surely the others that I didn't read yet). Thanks so much for posting the link! :love7:
I have all ingredients but Piri Piri and smoked paprika, and I'm going to prepare it tomorrow using a different kind of red peppers, but I'll have to renounce to the smoked powder. Anyway, I'm sure that nothing I could find in a shop could compete against your own. I love smoky flavours as well... yummy!
I feel already in paradise even before tasting it :D

@ mbday630, Indian Garam Masala is a very aromatic blend of spices as cumin, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper (and maybe something else). I do like it a lot, but of course it depends on individual tastes :)
"A poet once said, 'The whole universe is in a glass of wine.' (...)"
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:23 am

Yes, I did, mbday. It has all the things Carmilla mentions - I had all the spices in my cabinet already, so I just put them in my spice grinder and made my own. I believe it also had dried hot peppers which, of course, is one of the things I'm making right now. This is the recipe I used - the one thing I didn't have was fennel seed. There are lots of other ones out there.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garam-masala-spice-blend/

Carmella, the recipe for the Fatalii Hot Sauce used pears to compliment the fruity heat of the peppers. That one sounds wonderful too!

Diat, just do a search for slow cooker recipes. There are gazillions of them out there. I have one for a teriaki pork loin that my grandkids just love. I think I also have one for cashew chicken. But there are entire websites devoted to nothing but slow cooker recipes. I've trolled them for years!
Carmilla
Wandering Spectre
Wandering Spectre

Postby Carmilla » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:23 am

The recipe for Fatalii with pears sounds delicious as well, thanks draclvr!
Pity that I wasn't able to make any sauce during the week end... too many things to do and time that keeps running and running, while I'm becoming progressively slower.
I printed some of the recipes and hope to be able to prepare them soon, so as to open heavenly doors to my kitchen too :)
"A poet once said, 'The whole universe is in a glass of wine.' (...)"
Richard P. Feynman
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:30 am

It will make your kitchen smell like heaven too. I'm giving my friends small jars of the sweet chili sauce and they are all raving about it!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Diat, I got this feed on my Facebook page today. I've used the 12tomatoes.com website before. This is a bunch of slow-cooker recipes. The teriyaki chicken rocks as does the beef stroganoff.

http://12tomatoes.com/top-5-slow-cooker ... s?ref=omsb

Return to “General Talk, Comments or Questions”