Banner Saga

Talk about anything related to RPG games. Upcoming releases, news, reviews or just your opinion.
SilvaShado
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Banner Saga

Postby SilvaShado » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone's played this? I'm really enjoying it on my new iPad mini, but I believe it's on Steam too. I was sold on it when someone said it's like Heroes of Might and Magic with strong RPG elements.

It tells a story, so it has a beginning, middle and end. You have characters that you level up as the game progresses. And the choices you make in the story parts, impact how battles go, even so far as you can lose some characters during story elements. Which sucked when I had gotten one guy to level 4 and he died because of a bad choice I made in the dialogue. After my third mistake, I restarted, but that was okay because I had forgotten some of the tutorial elements and it helped going through that again.

I think the graphics are gorgeous and I love the music, though sadly it is intermittent on my iPad. I need to look up how to fix that bug. It's really sucky when you get to audio-only talking bits and you have no sound. I'm surprised they didn't do subtitles on all of them since so many people play games with the sound off. At least I do when traveling.

Anyway, if anyone else plays this, I'd love to know what you think of it.
You can find me on Twitter @EuroGamerGirl.
Jude
Poltergeist
Poltergeist
Zodiac: Scorpio

Re: Banner Saga

Postby Jude » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:12 am

Yeah, subtitles are a must when dialogue choices are involved. My Mac is still at OS 10.6.8 because I don't want to upgrade and lose the Rosetta emulator (so I can play Diablo II). So a lot of games, like this one have too high system requirements. But it looks interesting. I wouldn't think that an iPad had such a powerful graphics card to run games like this. Things just keep getting smaller and more powerful!
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.wondrousuniverse.com
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:43 am

Unless the games has been optimized for the tablet and touch, I'm amazed that it's working at all. The minimum system requirements for video are a GT 210 - which is low end, but still requires VRAM that is not shared. Probably the only thing you can do is look in the game options and see if there is a way to turn down the video options.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:51 am

I have Banner Saga (backed it on Kickstarter way back) but haven't played it yet. The soundtrack is great though!
Kickaha
Ghostmaster General
Ghostmaster General
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Kickaha » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm

I'll be interested in comments on this game as it's one I might try - after I finish "Wasteland 2" and other games I'm on at the moment!
SilvaShado
Restless Spirit
Restless Spirit

Postby SilvaShado » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:13 am

I am amazed at what runs on the iPad, but then there are instances where they probably shouldn't have because something is buggy, like music or it crashes.

The only problem I had was the music, but it didn't bother me much since I mostly played with the audio off.

I really enjoyed Banner Saga, but it left off in the middle of the story so I can't wait for the next part, which I saw they are working on.
You can find me on Twitter @EuroGamerGirl.

Return to “RPG Game Discussions”