Author New to Me

General discussions about anything and everything related to books and reading.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Author New to Me

Postby Diat60 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:08 pm

I just found a book by Robert R. McCammon "Swan Song" which was published in 1987. I really don't know how I missed this one, it's post-apocalyptic fiction and, I think, absolutely riveting. Follows the same sort of path as "The Stand" which has always been a favorite of mine, only it starts with a total nuclear war and follows the fortunes of several different individuals and groups, with an eventual standoff between good and evil. It has some supernatural elements, but is generally a tale of how the survivors cope with nightmare conditions. At any rate there's over 800 pages of great writing, so it may take a day or two to finish.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Author New to Me

Postby draclvr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:12 pm

I haven't read any books by Robert McCammon for years, but I did read some very good ones. I did not read Swan Song, but will see if I can find it - sounds like one I would like.

I am reading a post-apocalyptic series by David P. Forsythe about a cruise ship at sea which survives an enormous meteor strike in the ocean which threatens to wipe out civilization. The first one is called Impact and is gripping reading.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:56 pm

By the way, Diat, I am now half way through Sarum - I dont find that I can read it a quick as other books - takes a bit more "digesting" but I am loving it, especially the way it switches and jumps to different generations.
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Glad you like it, Rosa. My own favorite is Russka, so I'll be interested to see what you think of that one.
Drac, I'll have a look for Impact, it sounds like the sort of thing I like.

Return to “Book Discussions”