Problem running BigFish games

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Problem running BigFish games

Postby Rosaboobie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:41 pm

This has been happening to me for the last 4 or 5 days now, and totally frustrating as I cant play a BFG game any more. When I try to load up the game, it takes several minutes for the game to load, rather than instantly, and then whilst I am playing, every time I click on the mouse I have to wait minutes for the game to advance, and after a short while the whole game freezes. I have tried about 6 games this week, all with the same result. When this happens I cant even go back to Windows.

So I have run CCleaner, MalwareBytes, Defenders scan - all came up with nothing. I have also just updated my Nvidia drivers. So what the heck is going on????
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Re: Problem running BigFish games

Postby middletoe » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Rosaboobie wrote:So I have run CCleaner, MalwareBytes, Defenders scan - all came up with nothing. I have also just updated my Nvidia drivers. So what the heck is going on????

Is your MalwareBytes the pay version?
I don't think the free version is an actual antivirus.

Sometimes hard drives get really slow before they go bust.
Try doing a chkdsk with a surface scan and see if it detects problems with the hard drive.
If you need instructions, HowTo Geek has some
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:59 pm

Malwarebytes isn't an anti-virus program in the strictest sense. All the pay version does is provide real-time protection against malware and can even be run right along with an anti-virus program. The free version just runs a scan when you tell it to. It's been invaluable to me in working on infected computers.

Rosaboobie, is anything else running poorly or giving similar behavior? If it is only Big Fish Games, I'd first try uninstalling the BFG client and then reinstalling it. Of course, be sure to contact Big Fish support. They will have you run a Doctor Felix and send it to them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:35 am

Of course I forgot to tell you that I am running Windows 8.1, have the Premium version of MalwareBytes, and that I am running all my BFG games from my external HD duh! And no, Drac, other than this problem my PC seems to be running fine.

I just wanted to run this problem by you folks first in case I had missed something obvious, but I have now done as you suggested - Uninstalled and reinstalled the BFG Manager, and sent them a Dr Felix report. Thanks for all your help.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:27 am

And you're using the Defender anti-virus that comes with Windows 8.1, so it's not something like Norton blocking the games. I guess, just wait to hear back from Big Fish! We just had a bunch of updates from Microsoft - maybe one of them caused a problem. But I'm not having any problems at all.

Here's something you might try just to see what's going on. Download a game from Big Fish - trial or something - straight to your hard drive, not the exterior drive. See if it will play from your hard drive.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:57 am

Right, I did the chkdsk, disk clean up, etc etc. - and my game was working fine for a while, and then it froze again, and I lost all progress in the game, darn!

I have now downloaded a trial game to my C drive - Do you mean, run a BFG game NOT using the Game Manager, Drac?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:42 pm

Sure... I never use the Game Manager at all.

I'd like to find out if your connection to your exterior drive is the culprit.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 pm

How do I do that? When I click on the icon on my desktop, it takes me straight to the Games Manager - Sorry but I am confused lol!
Boobie
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Rosaboobie wrote:How do I do that? When I click on the icon on my desktop, it takes me straight to the Games Manager...

Big Fish's desktop icons always point to the Game Manager.
Big Fish also makes the game .exe's "hidden" files.

So the first thing you have to do is set Windows to display hidden files.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... windows-8/
Then you go to the game folder and double-click the game .exe to start the game.

If the game has been activated, it will play.
If it has not been activated, it will play as a demo, and quit if demo time is used up.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:27 pm

I think I will give up for today - When I clicked the .exe file, absolutely nothing happened. However I did click on the next file down - Application file - and the game ran, but with no sound......... so I give up LOL! But thanks for trying to help me middletoe. Just come off the phone from a 30 minute conversation with my 94 year old Mum, and feeling even more confused now! :roll:
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm

The application file is the one to click on. You want to be sure it isn't taking you to the Game Manager on your exterior drive. This is what I'm trying to do - get a game to not have anything to do with the exterior drive. You could also try unplugging the exterior drive, downloading and installing the Game Manager on your C drive and then downloading a trial and playing from the Game Manager on your C drive just like always.

If that works, then you should suspect something is up with the exterior drive or the cable or the USB port. If it still does it, then wait for BFG to get back to you.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:37 pm

The file you want to run is the one that looks sort of pale or see-through, which is how hidden files look after you tell Windows to make them visible. Big Fish usually has more than one .exe in the game folder, and most of them won't start the game.

Like Draclvr said, we want to determine whether the problem is with playing a Big Fish game or with access to the external drive. If it's with the external drive, it's not Big Fish's fault and they probably wouldn't be able to help you.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:14 am

I think the sound going off last night was a temporary glitch, cos when I tried to watch a tv programme online, that had no sound also, so I rebooted and my sound came back.

Well, today I disabled the EHD and played a demo game from C drive with no problems whatsoever. So does it mean that my EHD has expired? I have only had it about a year!
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:53 am

No, not at all. It just means you need to troubleshoot your connection from the drive to the computer. Try a different USB port or a different cable.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Would you know, if I want to play my games as normal from my EHD, do I have to instal the Games Manager on that drive also? I am going to try the EHD tonight in another USB port.
Boobie

Return to “Technical Help”