Windows 10

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon
Zodiac: Cancer

Windows 10

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:18 am

Is an update from Windows 8 to Windows 10 recommended just now?
Boobie
If people had hearts like dogs, the world would be a better place!
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: Windows 10

Postby draclvr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 am

If you like Windows 8.1, you should definitely upgrade to Windows 10. I've signed up for it through the little icon we got on our taskbars last week. It will be a free upgrade for one year. I'm very much looking forward to it. Let me find one of the more recent articles with all the new features explained.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:38 pm

I've just reserved mine as well. Didn't even notice the little Windows icon in the systray until you mentioned it. Looking forward to actually seeing it in "the flesh" so to speak.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Oh, I thought we could get it now? So when will this free upgrade be released, does anyone know?
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:33 pm

If you click on the little Windows icon in your system tray, it will tell you everything. It will be released on July 29.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks, I have now reserved mine.
Boobie
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:44 am

Finally had time to grab this link to an article about Windows 10. I've got a houseful of grandkids from Colorado for several days!

Ed Bott; You've Got Questions? We've Got Answers
Rosaboobie
Dastardly Demon
Dastardly Demon

Postby Rosaboobie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Enjoy your time with the grandkids x x
Boobie
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm getting that notification on my Windows 7 desktop. Will it work or should I not even go there. I did NOT LIKE Windows 8 when I tried it on a friends laptop. Nevermind saw Drac' s link, going to read that article first.
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:36 pm

If you decide to NOT get Windows 10 as a free upgrade, you should disable the update. This upgrade is being released as an update and you should disable or set the update to "ignore" to be sure it doesn't get downloaded and installed.

Microsoft will support Windows 7 until 2020, but keep in mind, you will be several operating systems behind by then and will have to go to the new one sooner or later! I do have several people who I am setting up to NOT upgrade to Windows 10. It's just something to consider. I loved Windows 8.1 once I figured it out.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 am

I know how to it on windows 7 but where is the notification on windows 8? Granddaughter has that, not sure if is 8.1 and no clue where to look.
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

Does she have the little white windows flag on the bottom right? If she hasn't fully patched her old Windows 8 up to 8.1 and then up to 8.1 Update, then she won't even be getting security updates any more. So if she doesn't have the little white flag, then she's not getting any updates, security or otherwise. The unpatched Windows 8 isn't fully supported.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:24 am

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but - I have Windows 8.1 Home right now and Virtual PC will no longer work with Win8. There is an emulator built into Win8 but only the Professional version. From what I can understand Win 10 will include the emulator in all versions. Anyone know if this is true?

As a sidebar here, I downloaded VMWare and loaded WinXP on it, but am having trouble getting the game window not to be a small square in the middle of the screen, surrounded by large black margins. Any advice?
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:58 am

XP Mode was a feature of Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. The reason for this was to allow businesses to run XP for software that was specific to that OS. It was only meant to be a temporary thing until they migrated away from this old software. It was not available on Windows 8. Microsoft has moved completely away from ANY support of XP.

This emulator did not work well for games as it was meant to be a business application and did not support things like 3D graphics.

I would suggest checking in the VMWare support forums to see if you can find an answer to your question about the small square.
middletoe
Settled Spook
Settled Spook

Postby middletoe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Diat60 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but - I have Windows 8.1 Home right now and Virtual PC will no longer work with Win8.

It is possible to get Virtual PC working on WIndows 8.1, but it is certainly not as simple as renaming the install file. I had to locate and install some older version of Windows phone SDK, then a particular update for it. I forget where I originally found the instructions. If anyone is interested, I can see if I have the instructions saved anywhere.

Microsoft expects people to run Hyper-V, which does not support WIndows 95/98 and is useless for older games.

Some people use tweaked versions of DOSBox, like DOSBox SVN Daum, to run Windows 95/98.
But I haven't tried that.

Return to “Technical Help”