Windows 10

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Re: Windows 10

Postby hawkavonpuka » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:21 pm

draclvr wrote:Does she have the little white windows flag on the bottom right? If she hasn't fully patched her old Windows 8 up to 8.1 and then up to 8.1 Update, then she won't even be getting security updates any more. So if she doesn't have the little white flag, then she's not getting any updates, security or otherwise. The unpatched Windows 8 isn't fully supported.

She does and she just reserved it. It was a brand new laptop from Christmas 2014 so I thought it must be the 8.1. Now I have to check the slow as a slug one that belongs to grandson. He has some sort of small Apple one for college so hardly uses the old HP laptop. Thanks Draclvr
What kind of magic spell to use?
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm

The old HP one may or may not be capable of running Windows 10. The little icon gives you the option to check for compatibility. You can only upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8, not XP or Vista.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
Faust
Resident Ghost
Resident Ghost
Zodiac: Scorpio

Postby Faust » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am

Something else to be mindful of on Windows 10 , will be the version selected (home , pro , enterprise) , and the application of system updates . Users of Windows 10 Home will NOT have the option of deciding which updates to download . Microsoft has disabled that feature in Windows 10 Home . All available system updates will be automatically downloaded and applied . Windows 10 Pro & Enterprise users will have the option to decide which updates to download . I throw this out there only for informational purposes . To me , it would absolutely stink , to be playing a game , & in the middle of the game , have the computer reboot because of the application of a system update . Also , some updates could prove to cause more harm than good , and cause more headaches than it's worth . On the flipside , this could prove a blessing (auto updates) , for those that have next to no knowledge of what to look for , as far as updates , & whether or not to apply said update . There are articles available , that show how to possibly work around this little "problem" , via registry hacks , or other methods . That , to me , is akin to the Windows 8 third party program being used to boot to the desktop , before the option was made available in 8.1 . This is in NO WAY a knock on anyone who wants to install Windows 10 Home . I may upgrade to Windows 10 Pro before the free offer expires , depending on how developers handle driver support for hardware & gaming .
Look around you... I am everywhere!!
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:55 pm

That reboot in the middle of things has been gone since the original Windows 8. You are given at least 3 days to reboot and are given the information in your Windows notification icon on the lower right.

It's one of my favorite things about Windows 8 and above. When I work on a Windows 7 computer and that damned notification comes up, I want to scream because I've gotten so used to it being GONE.

I enable automatic updates for all of my people in any case. If I didn't, I'd be spending way more time working on them.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 am

draclvr wrote:The old HP one may or may not be capable of running Windows 10. The little icon gives you the option to check for compatibility. You can only upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8, not XP or Vista.

It is Windows 7, its younger than my laptop , mine had 7 installed when the Vista OS crashed. I haven't looked yet.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:24 am

Then if you click on the little white Windows flag, you can run the "Check Your PC" option in the hamburger menu. You will want to be sure there are compatible drivers for the motherboard etc.
hawkavonpuka
Multi-Tasking Moderator
Multi-Tasking Moderator

Postby hawkavonpuka » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:57 pm

OK thank you
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Well, it appears that Microsoft has listened to testers and provided a work-around for choosing whether to install updates or not.

Microsoft Releases Tool to Hide or Block Unwanted Updates
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 am

It sounds as though Windows 10 is rather keen to share my WiFi password with all my friends. I don't think I like the sound of that.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/28/windows-10-wifi-sharing/
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:44 am

Now that's a horrible idea! I do see that you have to opt in to use WiFi Sense.
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Postby Phlebas » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 am

It sounds as though it's the other way round - you're opted in by default and have to turn it off if you don't want it.
At least from the RPS story and comments, that is - the MS instructions they link to sound as though it's opt-in.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:21 am

Yeah, upon reading it again, I'm not which way it is. Won't affect desktop users, but for mobile devices I'm failing to see the logic in this. Sounds like Zuckerberg thinking everyone wants to share everything with everyone else on the planet in Facebook.
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:44 am

I'm disappointed to find that the upgrade will only be to the same version as you already have, i.e. Win 8 Home to Win 10 Home. And once again Hyper V is only included in Professional and above. Not too happy, I'm kinda regretting I didn't just upgrade from XP to Win 7 that included its own emulator then I wouldn't have had to donate 50 or 60 of my older games to a charity.
draclvr

Postby draclvr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:10 pm

In my opinion, since this is a free upgrade, it's only fair that we will be able to upgrade to the same level of OS we already have.

Keep in mind that the built-in emulator that allowed you to download and run XP in Windows 7 was utterly useless for games because it did not support 3D graphics. It was meant to be a business application and nothing more. I will be interested to find out if there will be a VMWare version that will work in Windows 10.

There simply comes a time when we have to accept that new technology simply can't be compatible with old technology forever. That's why we have GOG which patches so many of our older games to run on new systems.

Why don't you just set up a dual boot system, Diat? That's what I have - I can boot into either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Pick up a nice inexpensive 500 GB hard drive, install Windows 7 on it and have it all!
Diat60
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Diat60 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Would that give me the option to run both 64 and 32 bit systems, Drac?

Return to “Technical Help”