how to change credit card on steam and GOG

From how-to's on loading up a saved game to getting your old game to run on XP or reconfiguring your Internet Explorer, we'll do our best to help hook up those who have questions with a guru who can help.
mbday630
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Cancer

how to change credit card on steam and GOG

Postby mbday630 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm

I have gone to these sites multiple times in the past few days to look for a way to change my credit card number as my credit card has changed. I can't find a way to do it. All of my other accounts just have me put in the new number, but, not these sites. I don't want to buy a game from them and have my credit card be turned down. Do you know how to do it? I would think it would be easy to change the credit card that you want to use. Getting your credit card hacked is not fun. also, rather noteworthy, after going on these sites to try and change my credit card number, I had over 1200 super antispyware on my computer this morning. usually when I run a check I will have like 120. Is that something to be worried about?
Phlebas
Hallowed Haunter
Hallowed Haunter
Zodiac: Taurus

Re: how to change credit card on steam and GOG

Postby Phlebas » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:37 am

I don't give my card details directly to any site if I can help it, partly for that reason! If you have the card registered with a PayPal account, you can use PayPal to pay for things elsewhere (not quite everywhere, but all the major sites - certainly GOG/Steam/Humble/Itch etc will be fine) without them needing to know what card you're paying for at all. Then if you get a new card you only have to change it in one place - plus it's more secure because only the one site has your card details.

On GOG the only place I found that let me set card details was the checkout page - once you press the 'checkout now' button there's a 'your order' column on the left showing what you're buying and a 'your payment & gifting details' column on the right with a 'change' button.
Steam looks to be similar - there's a dropdown menu at checkout offering various payment options including Paypal and credit cards.

I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be anything in the regular account management to set/change/delete cached card details - though as I say I haven't cached card details with them in a long time, so it's possible things show up differently if you do.
draclvr
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Monster-Slaying Administrator
Zodiac: Virgo

Re: how to change credit card on steam and GOG

Postby draclvr » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:54 am

I don't cache my credit card information at any website. When I check out at Steam or GOG, that's when I enter my credit card info. If a website asks if I want to store my credit card information, I always decline. You can always email their support and ask them directly.

I think as Phlebas says, you can enter you credit card information at checkout.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you tomatoes, make Bloody Marys.

Return to “Technical Help”